Worth reporting a (very) near miss to the police?

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: Worth reporting a (very) near miss to the police?

Postby martinjs » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:46 pm

If there idiot drivers, nothing you do will stop them from being an idiot. If you can get out of their way, no point being right and in hospital or dead. E=MC squared, and in that formula we will loose. :cry:

I've had a similar experience once on my Motorbike claiming the lane and having the idiot pass me on the left (A lot of good it did as it was the end of Hoddle Street in Melbourne, very narrow going under a bridge as soon as the road got wider I past him and left him in my dust. :lol: )

Also recently in Leeton while moving out to claim the lane through a round a bout the clown speed up and zoomed around me nearly taking me out! Claiming the lane does NOT always work.

As to the near miss, not much you can do, despite what a lot of people think the police are at times very busy and with out proof nothing will happen. :cry:

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
martinjs

by BNA » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:04 pm

BNA

Postby The Womble » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:04 pm

Part of the reason the problem is worsening is that people take that stance. "why report it? No one cares".
Report, report, report. Its time we all started putting pressure on in order to get things done. And buy a camera.
The Womble

Postby jet-ski » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:53 pm

yeah and if these things are consistently reported, then maybe some trends could be determined... and the need for more driver education highlighted? ;P
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
jet-ski

Postby whitey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:02 am

martinjs wrote:If there idiot drivers, nothing you do will stop them from being an idiot. If you can get out of their way, no point being right and in hospital or dead. E=MC squared, and in that formula we will loose. :cry:
Martin

Hi Martin, agree with you. The problem was that this incident was over in less than 30 seconds.
-I was riding down the single lane with cars on left an oncoming traffic on right and heard a car right behind me
-Car immmeidately on the horn, a single long blast for maybe 20 seconds
-As soon as the road widens at roundabout the car overtakes on the left nearly hitting me
-Car then immediately turns hard right at roundabout making contact with me as I come to a halt hard on the brakes.
-Car driver gets out and starts abusing me for 1) Not being registered, 2) Not paying insurance, 3) Not giving way and getting off the road immediately he got behind me.

At no stage was he anything other than abusive and indignant. He gave the witnesses a lecture on how cyclist were the scourge of the road

Anyway, based on the feedback I got from the witnesses when I told them the police werent interested I will be going down to the station in person. Complaint will be victim of a road rage incident
1) Menacing and agressive driving - tailgating
2) Endangering me (and assume breaking the law) by overtaking on the left on a single lane
3) Endangering me (and assume breaking the law) by making an unsafe right turn on the roundabout and making contact with me.

Advice welcome.
Note: I dont particulalry want this guy charged. I do however want a wake up call delivered to him by the police that his actions and attitude are unacceptable.
whitey

Postby hannos » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:13 am

whitey wrote:
Hi Martin, agree with you. The problem was that this incident was over in less than 30 seconds.

You can be dead in less time than that and for a hell of a lot longer...

At no stage was he anything other than abusive and indignant. He gave the witnesses a lecture on how cyclist were the scourge of the road

Advice welcome.

Report it. That's Road Rage clear and simple.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby fatherofmany » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:03 am

Report it. That's Road Rage clear and simple.

+LOTS

having been assaulted - they guy actually got out of his van and punched me as I rode past - I'd say do it, all the way. You have witnesses, I didn't. The boys in blue will take you seriously if you say you want him charged and you are willing to go to court. Otherwise they'll give you the brush off.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish
fatherofmany

Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby hannos » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:10 am

And when the boys in blue do 'talk' to him, he'll know that he's in trouble.

They may let him off and his attitude towards cyclists probably won't change, but there's a very good chance he wont try that again.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Worth reporting a (very) near miss to the police?

Postby whitey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:06 pm

Well it certainly makes a difference when you go to the cop shop personally. Statement given. Officer was calling witnesses as I left.

At the very least this guy will get a talking too. Worst case is that he has following separate items to answer to
1 tailgating
2 inappropriate use of horn
3 dangerous overtaking
4 cutting infront of me causing the impact
5 leaving scene without exchanging details

Very good service by the local police.
whitey

Postby jet-ski » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:09 pm

Good to hear Whitey, glad you went in.
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
jet-ski

Postby hannos » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:27 pm

whitey wrote:Well it certainly makes a difference when you go to the cop shop personally. Statement given. Officer was calling witnesses as I left.

At the very least this guy will get a talking too. Worst case is that he has following separate items to answer to
1 tailgating - 126 Keeping a safe distance behind vehicles - Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
2 inappropriate use of horn - 224 Using horns and similar warning devices - Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units
3 dangerous overtaking - 140 No overtaking unless safe to do so - Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
4 cutting infront of me causing the impact - 125 Unreasonably obstructing drivers or pedestrians - Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units. (This might be the rule to apply)
5 leaving scene without exchanging details - 287 Duties of a driver involved in a crash - Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

I think 1 penalty unit = $110. That could be quite a nice little fine he incurs if they so chose to throw the book at him.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby ThatOtherGuy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Well done, the triumph of evil has been slowed today even if only slightly because you did something instead of nothing (refer signature).
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil (bad motorists) is for good [wo]men (cyclists) to do nothing.
paraphrasing Edmund Burke [1729-1797]
ThatOtherGuy

Postby blkmcs » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:18 pm

whitey wrote:Well it certainly makes a difference when you go to the cop shop personally. Statement given. Officer was calling witnesses as I left.

1 tailgating
2 inappropriate use of horn
3 dangerous overtaking
4 cutting infront of me causing the impact
5 leaving scene without exchanging details

Good work. :D
Too old to live, too slow to die.
blkmcs

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Good one Whitey, 'grats for following it up.

Let's hope the judge rides in on the day.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby The Womble » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:58 pm

All for one n' all that. Noice Whitey. Noice
The Womble

Postby human909 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:03 am

This is hit'n'run and should be treated as such.
human909

Postby Oxford » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:45 am

Just a tip for anyone who has the level of information about an issue such as what Whitey experienced and is not happy with the response from the police. Don't let it stop there. Put pen to paper and write to the Commissioner and CC the Minister and your local member. I've done that in the past and received brilliant responses and more importantly action on my complaint. Doing that shows you are not afraid to speak up and they have no idea whether you will expose them to media scrutiny which you may wish to allude to in your letter, but only subtly.
I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
Oxford

Postby fatherofmany » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:56 pm

All the best and let us know of any developments.
FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish
fatherofmany

Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby rog » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:33 pm

Oxford wrote:whitey, try tacking this onto your back, whilst I do have two working on the bike (forward and rear), I'm always amazed at how different the attitudes are between drivers knowing and not knowing. On the odd occasion I have had some people be dicks just to try it on. But on the whole it results in a better more peaceful ride when I have it on my back pack commuting.

Any recommendations for cameras? I've had it with drivers in Fyshwick (ACT) who think cyclists are not entitled to road space.
rog

Postby The Womble » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:41 pm

PM Nate. He sells them. Ill be getting mine through him soon
The Womble

Postby Oxford » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:17 pm

rog wrote:
Oxford wrote:whitey, try tacking this onto your back, whilst I do have two working on the bike (forward and rear), I'm always amazed at how different the attitudes are between drivers knowing and not knowing. On the odd occasion I have had some people be dicks just to try it on. But on the whole it results in a better more peaceful ride when I have it on my back pack commuting.

Any recommendations for cameras? I've had it with drivers in Fyshwick (ACT) who think cyclists are not entitled to road space.

I've got two of these, though I didn't pay that price for them, shop around. As Womble has said contact Nate, he apparently has deals on some HD DVR units. I like the ones I have, waterproof, not a bad picture, easy to use, mounts are solid and the price was good (under $50 each).
I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
Oxford

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:06 pm

rog wrote:Any recommendations for cameras? I've had it with drivers in Fyshwick (ACT) who think cyclists are not entitled to road space.

Hi

I have a Contour 1080HD ... maybe overkill maybe not. I guess it depends on how you want to use a camera.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby rog » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks guys, I'll look into it.
rog

Postby GraemeL » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:57 am

I use a GoPro HD for this very reason.
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL

Previous

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy