Petrol and Pedal – a cycling and cars video from RAA SA

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: Petrol and Pedal – a cycling and cars video from RAA SA

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:08 am

Fair enough, I misread your reply.

By the way, you missed the full text of the QLD Bicycle Rules website (not the actual text of the rule either)

Qld Bicycle Rules wrote:Keeping left and overtaking (s129, s131, s141, s151)

You must:

•ride as near as is safely possible to the far left side of the road — on a multi-lane road or a road with two or more lines of traffic travelling in the same direction as you, you can occupy a lane and travel in the right hand lane when necessary (for example, to make a right turn)
•ride to the left of any oncoming vehicle
•not overtake another vehicle on the left if that vehicle is turning left and giving a left change of direction signal
•not ride more than two abreast unless overtaking
•ride within 1.5 m of the other rider if riding two abreast.
Bicycles can overtake to the left of a vehicle unless:

•the vehicle is signalling to turn left
•it is unsafe to do so.

Like I said, the vehicle must be in the action of turning left. I'd expect at least have turned its wheels left and be at the corner, with a green light - I use that as a good indication. A stopped vehicle in the traffic queue, with its left indicator on, or stationary at a red light can be legally passed on the left. They're not turning.

Qld Bicycle Rules wrote:A cyclist must give way to a vehicle that is signalling to turn left and driving in front of the cyclist.

I'd love to see a legal interpretation of this one. Seems to legalise the good ol' left hook :?: Overtake the cyclist, get in front then slam it around him :(
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

by BNA » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:47 am

BNA

Postby elStado » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:47 am

Red lights and stop signs annoy me so much. They are an engineering mechanism for controlling the flow and movements of vehicles and allowing pedestrians to cross intersections in some instances.

If it is at a t-junction and there is no pedestrian crossing or pedestrians, I need no reason why a cyclist travelling in the cycle lane and going straight through (not turning right) should have to stop at the lights and then have to try and deal with all the roaring traffic behind them. I know it annoys motorists as they have to stop, but the reality is I am on a small vehicle weighing less than 80kg and I am in my own lane and able to go through safely without impeding anyone else. I still stop at the lights, but every time I do I wish that the road rules were updated to cater for these situations.

Same deal if you are at a t-junction with stop signs and turning left into the cycle lane. Technically it's illegal to just slow down and roll through, but we all know it's perfectly safe and practical to do so.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
elStado

Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Postby jules21 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:36 am

Aushiker wrote:From the High Court of Australia ...

Key word in this context: interpret

this is getting off the topic, but while the High Court's role is certainly to interpret law, it spends most of its time with more principled law than prescriptive rules, such as the road rules. The Castle, in which they take the Barlow Group to court over the constitutionality (if that's a word) of their compulsory acquisition of Darryl's family's home is a good example - you can't just follow the Constitution to gain a simple understanding of the legality of that action - it requires a lot of interpretation by an authoritative body. the road rules, otoh, are pretty straightforward and road users are obliged to make their own interpretations of them (in the first instance at least).
jules21

Previous

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy