Go Pro HD For Xmas

GraemeL

Go Pro HD For Xmas

Postby GraemeL » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:01 am

Hi and Merry Xmas to you all :D
I just bought a Go Pro HD, I feel it is a good investment. It won't stop and accident but it certainly will come in handy if there is one.
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

Max

Re: Go Pro HD For Xmas

Postby Max » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:22 am

Very nice! I'm looking forward to seeing your videos :)

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:24 pm

I have one on order too. Should be here very early in the new year. Got it for both bike riding and kayak fishing, and my daughter wants to take it snorkelling.

Can't wait to compare vids ... :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:20 pm

Well I have had a chance to use it over the past couple of days. The video is amazing, the audio not so much, it is muffled because it is in the housing.
I have used it mounted to the handle bars and mounted on top of my helmet, the video is very good with little shaking apart from me moving my head :)

We were out riding today on a cycle path that runs alongside Roe Highway, when we came across this idiot....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7yBPgAm824

Some people simply amaze me, I wonder how she would have got on had we collided. I wish I was quicker to react, but I thought I had the number plate on video, only to realise later that the plates are on the back of motor bikes. Next time I won't be so forgiving if you get my meaning :evil:

Max

Postby Max » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:16 am

Not bad. I'd like to see how well it records license plates in regular traffic. I'm thinking we have enough members now with enough different cameras that we could do some sort of showdown. Sorry to hijack your thread.

So that video was with the camera mounted on your helmet, I take it? How did you find its weight/positioning? Could you feel it?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:35 pm

We did a 25k ride with it on the helmet, I didn't really notice it all. I had it mounted in the center, I have seen some with it mounted on the side.
When it's mounted to the handle bar there is some noise transferred from the frame to the camera.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:43 pm

Max wrote:Not bad. I'd like to see how well it records license plates in regular traffic. Max
Hi

Looking at the quality of the video linked to, it should be okay recording number plates. I find however that you need Quicktime (or your editing software - iMovie in my case) or whatever to slow the vision down to actually read the number plate properly in a lot of cases. Often the natural speed is too much for doing this on YouTube.

I have lodged one police complaint since I got my video camera and instead of getting the normal thank you we will add the details to the database line, I am actually getting a real police officer to follow-up with the driver concerned - paid for itself in that one outcome in my book.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:45 pm

GraemeL wrote:We did a 25k ride with it on the helmet, I didn't really notice it all. I had it mounted in the center, I have seen some with it mounted on the side.
When it's mounted to the handle bar there is some noise transferred from the frame to the camera.
Hi

It will be interesting to see some video from the handlebar mount to compare the noise levels. This is what I am getting from my Contour HD1080 P (not in its waterproof case). How does it compare?

Andrew

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Did I see you give the guy in the truck a bit of a serve? :lol:

I will do some video for you to have a look at, I am currently doing a short clip from the car. I take it on my bike and mount it in the car as well.

Graeme

Max

Postby Max » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:00 pm

Andrew, is the truck's license plate clearly visible when slowed down? How do you find the ContourHD? And the waterproof case, apart from being waterproof, any other pros? Cons?

Max

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:51 pm

GraemeL wrote:Did I see you give the guy in the truck a bit of a serve? :lol:
:D I have a bad habit at yelling at people that cannot hear me :oops:
I will do some video for you to have a look at, I am currently doing a short clip from the car. I take it on my bike and mount it in the car as well.
Sounds like a plan.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Max wrote:Andrew, is the truck's license plate clearly visible when slowed down?
Hi

Sure is. It is ISTB 494 and the truck belongs to Hampton Transport. They will be getting a statement (similar to that prepared for the Police and thanks to Oxford for the idea) along with a copy video on a DVD for their consideration. Oh and clearly stated expectations with appropriate references to other options :).
How do you find the ContourHD?

Still learning with it and working out what works best. Initial impressions written up here. I am pretty happy with it and I am pleased that I went with a 1080 resolution model. I suspect it is pretty much on par with the Go Pro.
And the waterproof case, apart from being waterproof, any other pros? Cons?
I got the case about a week or so ago so haven't had a chance to use it yet. I am quite pleased but with the handlebar mount but and prefer it to the helmet mount.

Andrew

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:07 pm

VLC mediaplayer is quite a good little app for playing various video formats. It has slow speed and can zoom into any part of the footage, plus all the other usual adjustments. Hope you find it useful.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:18 pm

GraemeL wrote:Well I have had a chance to use it over the past couple of days. The video is amazing, the audio not so much, it is muffled because it is in the housing.
I have used it mounted to the handle bars and mounted on top of my helmet, the video is very good with little shaking apart from me moving my head :)

We were out riding today on a cycle path that runs alongside Roe Highway, when we came across this idiot....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7yBPgAm824

Some people simply amaze me, I wonder how she would have got on had we collided. I wish I was quicker to react, but I thought I had the number plate on video, only to realise later that the plates are on the back of motor bikes. Next time I won't be so forgiving if you get my meaning :evil:
And on the wrong side of the path as well! Imagine if you were a group ride.... Would have been definite accident. That intersection on Roe Hwy I've complained about due to no indication of who has right of way signage. All it would take would be a bit of paint and a sign and it might avert an accident.

Graeme when I'm back on the bike and commuting to work, you may see me going past heading towards Welshpool with my new xmas toy, Contour GPS. Going to be a few months tho till I'm back on the bike.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:58 pm

Yep she didn't even flinch, it was lucky that we were going straight on. It was only by chance as we didn't realise we had to turn there, if we had of turned we would have collided.

As for the Go Pro i have done some footage, I hope I have added these to the page correctly.

The camera mounted on the handle bars, I have to look at adding some rubber to the mount to help cut down on the noise it picks up from the frame. It is shot in 1080P.

The camera mounted to the helmet and shot in 1080P. I need to remember to keep my head still :) There is less noise from the frame but I think I prefer the handle bar mount.

This time the camera is mounted to the windscreen of my car using the suction cup mount and is shot in 720P which gives a wider field of view.

Graeme

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:53 pm

Hi Graeme

It does seem to be noisy than my Contour but I really like the little data screen. That is cool.

Andrew

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:58 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi Graeme

It does seem to be noisy than my Contour but I really like the little data screen. That is cool.

Andrew
Yeah it is, I am going to play around with different mounting material to see what works best. I like the 720p as it gives a 170 degree view compared to 130 in 1080P.
The data screen is done with DashWare http://www.dashware.net/

On a side note,I was watching Foxtel and a program called " Into The Shark Bite " on Discovery, they were using GoPro HD cameras to film sharks biting the camera. I thought it was pretty cool.

Graeme

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:18 pm

Pushy wrote:VLC mediaplayer is quite a good little app for playing various video formats. It has slow speed and can zoom into any part of the footage, plus all the other usual adjustments. Hope you find it useful.
Be carefull!
Tried to download the VLC Media Player and my antivirus software detected the mallware ADSPY/AdspyGen2 in the download file.
Something you do NOT want on your computer.

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:41 pm

KMPlayer is what i use...

Some basic video editing i do & the tools i use (all Freeware):
http://www.rigidmount.com/video_editing.html

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:52 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:
Pushy wrote:VLC mediaplayer is quite a good little app for playing various video formats. It has slow speed and can zoom into any part of the footage, plus all the other usual adjustments. Hope you find it useful.
Be carefull!
Tried to download the VLC Media Player and my antivirus software detected the mallware ADSPY/AdspyGen2 in the download file.
Something you do NOT want on your computer.
Don't think that's the proper VLC website. It should be http://www.videolan.org
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!