dude18

Re: 2011 Cyclist fatalities

Postby dude18 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Geez... That's pretty scary stuff.
RIP.

CommuRider

[QLD] Male, Kenmore, 20s, 27/9

Postby CommuRider » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Not even less than two weeks, another QLDer from womble's thread.

http://m.brisbanetimes.com.au/queenslan ... 1kuxr.html

A cyclist has died after he was hit by a truck in Brisbane's west this afternoon. Police said the truck and bicycle, which were travelling in the same direction, collided on Moggill Road, Kenmore, about 1.20pm. An ambulance spokesman said the male cyclist, believed to be in his 20s, had died by the time paramedics arrived at the scene. In a statement issued this afternoon, police said the two in-bound lanes of Moggill Road had been diverted from Blacon Street but shortly before 5pm police said they had since been reopened.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

CommuRider

Re: [VIC] John Cornish, Brighton, 22 July

Postby CommuRider » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:54 pm

CommuRider wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/death ... 1hx7l.html

The van driver was released yesterday without charge after helping police. The State Coroner is investigating the accident.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/pro-c ... rom=age_sb
Hs friend has a ghost bike in commemoration

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/call- ... 1l9p7.html

CommuRider

Re: [QLD] 66yo Wangaratta female, Dicky Beach, 7 September

Postby CommuRider » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:29 pm

CommuRider wrote:http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/st ... n-tragedy/

A VICTORIAN couple's holiday ended in tragedy yesterday with the death of a 66-year-old cyclist. The Wangaratta woman and her husband were enjoying the last days of a holiday at Dicky Beach when disaster struck about 3.30pm on Monday. The woman went for a bike ride and was struck by a car at Pelican Waters, on the roundabout at Pelican Waters Bvd and Sir Joseph Banks Dr.
The driver has been charged:

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/st ... an-waters/

A CALOUNDRA woman has been charged over a crash which killed a Victorian cyclist at Pelican Waters last month. The 31-year-old motorist will appear in court charged with dangerous driving causing death. The accident happened on a roundabout at Pelican Waters Blvd and Sir Joseph Banks Dr on September 6. Julie Quartermain, 66, and her husband Leon, of Wangaratta, were enjoying the last days of a holiday. Mrs Quartermain suffered critical injuries and died later that night. The driver was not injured in the crash. Witnesses told the Daily that at least one child was in the car at the time. Mrs Quartermain was the first cyclist to be killed on Sunshine Coast roads this year in a road toll which stands at 15. Police charged the woman on Monday. She will appear in Caloundra Magistrates Court on November 15.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:45 pm

6 month suspended sentence. $500 fine. That'll be it.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Damn. Another one wasted :( I hope the poor hubby of this lady is OK.
Oxford wrote:let me guess, she'll plead crying child in the car distracting her, rogue cyclist weaving all over the road erratically. sorry my cynical side is coming out.
No reason to apologise for your failure to wear rose tinted glasses Ox.
Fresh wrote:6 month suspended sentence. $500 fine. That'll be it.
That much? Maybe the fine, she will be allowed to retain the license as she needs it to drive the kid to school 'cos it's too dangerous to walk or ride there with all the arrogant and incompetent people out there driving their kids to school...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:01 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I hope the poor hubby of this lady is OK.
+1
Mulger bill wrote: she will be allowed to retain the license as she needs it to drive the kid to school 'cos it's too dangerous to walk or ride there with all the arrogant and incompetent people out there driving their kids to school...
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Happy Days

zero

Postby zero » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Fresh wrote:6 month suspended sentence. $500 fine. That'll be it.
Unfortunately very likely. QLD max penalty for this is 3 years, unless there are very particular aggravating/prior factors.

CommuRider

[VIC] 48yo male, Mordialloc, hit by a bus 18/11

Postby CommuRider » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:30 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-n ... 6199390618

A CYCLIST is dead after he was hit by a bus in Melbourne’s south-east this afternoon. The 48-year-old Mordialloc man was killed when he collided with the bus on Warren Rd, Mordialloc, around 3.20pm. The bus driver, a 34-year-old Bentleigh man, stopped at the scene and is assisting police. Paramedics tried to revive the man but he died at the scene.Police do not expect to charge anyone over the incident. Investigators will prepare a report for the Coroner. The man’s death brings the state’s road toll to 251, one fewer than the same time last year.

Livetoride

Re: [VIC] 48yo male, Mordialloc, hit by a bus 18/11

Postby Livetoride » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:34 pm

CommuRider wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-n ... 6199390618

A CYCLIST is dead after he was hit by a bus in Melbourne’s south-east this afternoon. The 48-year-old Mordialloc man was killed when he collided with the bus on Warren Rd, Mordialloc, around 3.20pm. The bus driver, a 34-year-old Bentleigh man, stopped at the scene and is assisting police. Paramedics tried to revive the man but he died at the scene.Police do not expect to charge anyone over the incident. Investigators will prepare a report for the Coroner. The man’s death brings the state’s road toll to 251, one fewer than the same time last year.
Is it me or is the wording there a bit off... he (the cyclist) collided with the bus.... surely it would have been the other way around...

RIP
Happy Days

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:22 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/two-c ... 1oglq.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/tandem ... 6215307756

A WOMAN is dead and her riding partner is fighting for life after their tandem bicycle hit a truck on the Mornington Peninsula.
The pair had been travelling near the intersection of Merricks and Stanleys roads, Merricks, when they collided with a truck at 2.30pm.
The dead rider is a woman in her 20s.
Her partner is expected to be flown to a Melbourne hospital by air ambulance.
Sen-Constable Melissa Seach told the Mornington Peninsula Leader that a truck hit the cyclists, :evil: with one dying at the scene.
Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman Susannah Wilson told Leader the cyclists were on a tandem bike.

:(

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:52 pm

cp123 wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/two-c ... 1oglq.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/tandem ... 6215307756

A WOMAN is dead and her riding partner is fighting for life after their tandem bicycle hit a truck on the Mornington Peninsula.
The pair had been travelling near the intersection of Merricks and Stanleys roads, Merricks, when they collided with a truck at 2.30pm.
The dead rider is a woman in her 20s.
Her partner is expected to be flown to a Melbourne hospital by air ambulance.
Sen-Constable Melissa Seach told the Mornington Peninsula Leader that a truck hit the cyclists, :evil: with one dying at the scene.
Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman Susannah Wilson told Leader the cyclists were on a tandem bike.

RIP

The other one just died too. (though wish they got their facts right! The Age is showing a slight change from what you've posted)
One cyclist, believed to be the man, died before paramedics arrived at the scene, while the woman suffered critical injuries.
Is that intersection pretty busy? Because I don't see tandem riders as speed-freaks much.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm

CommuRider wrote:Is that intersection pretty busy? Because I don't see tandem riders as speed-freaks much.
Awkward angle with both roads having a downhill stretch that begins 200-300m before the intersection. Tandems can easily build up a good head of steam on a descent.... much like a truck will. Merricks Rd is the through road, with clear speed restriction devices on Stanley Rd.

Someone made a tragic error and did not look fully, I'd suggest :cry:

RIP.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:42 pm

RIP.
I also heard today that Qld's road toll in the last 35 days stands at 36. All current licence holders MUST be retested. This is getting pathetic! :evil:
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 pm

More now. A head on, on double-lines, near a crest. :( :evil:
Mandatory helmet law?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:56 pm

There's something seriously wrong with the way our roads are used and policed.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:08 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:RIP.
I also heard today that Qld's road toll in the last 35 days stands at 36. All current licence holders MUST be retested. This is getting pathetic! :evil:

+1

Many people that I talk to admit that they doubt they would pass a driving test if they had to take it again.
2012 Oppy A4

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Mulger bill wrote::(

There's something seriously wrong with the way our roads are used and policed.
Not wrong with the last point. I was commuting home on a TWay and then the M7 Cycleway yesterday. The TWay is in the middle of the east/west lanes, each of which are dual lanes, and themselves separated from businesses and houses by a service road on both sides (that starts and stops unfortunately). The limit here on this dual lane road with no direct frontage is 70kph - many other roads less safe and busier are 80kph or even 100. This road is 70 because it was built/upgrade in recent years after the nanny state kicked off and classed as a built up road (gee the Gt Western Hwy is 80 nearly all the way to Parramatta and it has houses directly on the road for about 6 suburbs). Because it's 70, it's an easy target and a hwy patrol was parked in the service road with laser/radar guns out pulling up speeding drivers oh, and there's NO school zones on this road either.

The second hwy patrol was in a layby on the M7 itself, this motorway is only 100kph all the ones it connects to are 110kph and as an outer ring road this one has NO traffic jams (well less tha 1 or 2 a month) and considerably less traffic then the roads that head into Sydney so it flows freely.

Why weren't they near school zones, or on dangerous roads single lane roads, roads with blind crests, or just driving around to make their presence seen and felt?

Because cops are people and people can be lazy and this was an easy way to get some numbers...Nothing to do with road safety at all :roll:

The funny thing is it's illegal to ride the TWay but I do it as I have NEVER seen more than 1 bus going in my direction (and by definition NO other traffic). If I can I wait a minute or 2 for that bus to pass and then ride a lovely, empty and therefore safe smooth road out to the cycleway. Shame it's not legal to ride safely.
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:25 pm

Oxford wrote:
KonaCommuter wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:RIP.

+1

Many people that I talk to admit that they doubt they would pass a driving test if they had to take it again.
my wife wouldn't, she cannot reverse park anymore. she will drive around until she can nose into a parking space even parking a long way from her destination to do so.
Well due to some ahum indescretions in my youth, and the getting a motorbike licence, I've done the test 3 times, and passed FIRST time each time. It generally means I know what rules I'm breaking :wink:
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:30 pm

il padrone wrote:More now. A head on, on double-lines, near a crest. :( :evil:
There is a real tragedy to it. From BV Forums:
j9 wrote:Apparently a dog ran out in front of the truck. Truck driver braked and truck jack knifed, colliding with cyclists. Truck driver had not seen cyclists.
Save the dog.... kill two people :cry: :cry:
Mandatory helmet law?

ratter

Tandem Cyclist death

Postby ratter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:56 pm

Have not seen this posted elswehere FIXED

TWO CYCLISTS are dead after a tandem bike tragedy on the Mornington Peninsula this afternoon.

The first rider to die was a woman in her 20s.

Her cycling partner was to be flown to a Melbourne hospital by air ambulance but died.

Sen-Constable Melissa Seach told the Mornington Peninsula Leader that a truck hit the cyclists, with one dying at the scene, and the other a short time later.

- with Shannon Nagyivan, Leader Newspapers
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaki ... 6215322286
Last edited by Mulger bill on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Threads merged

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:10 pm

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:15 pm

Tragic. Funny how it was first mentioned they were in their 20s...but are in fact 30 years older. I guess cycling not only makes you fit but also keeps you young.

Condolences to the family and friends. They looked like a really happy couple.

newbikeorupgrade

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Respects...

Looking at the road from the video it looks straight...
Then a head on? What kind of dog was it?
I was traveling down this way almost a year to the day in a black car and two identical trucks like the one in the video tried to sandwich me in three lanes and run me off the road. I swerved left and avoided being squashed. Then they tried chasing me... This year I will be taking the bus to the Christmas party in Mornington...
And sitting next to the boss! You can't exactly jump over a truck...

I think this forum should write there own Australian standard for roads?
Whatson for christmas?

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:40 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-n ... 6220102961

Driver went on crime rampage after fatal cyclist hit-run, court told

A UNIVERSITY graduate who fatally ran over a cyclist before fleeing and burning his car ended up on a crime spree before being caught by police, the County Court heard today.

Daniel Veerman, 33, drove his car across a designated bike lane and killed cyclist Keiran Bailey on Mt Dandenong Rd, Ringwood East in March.

Veerman, who pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing death, failing to render assistance, arson and thefts, was speeding at the time and despite stopping and getting out of his Daewoo sedan, drove to a nearby hotel where he set his vehicle on fire, the County Court heard.
2012 Oppy A4