National Road Safety Strategy submission date extension

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

National Road Safety Strategy submission date extension

Postby RobertFrith » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:24 am

I have just been rather hurriedly and belately cribbing Aushiker's submission, which he kindly posted here. I went to the Dept of Infrastructure and Transport's site to get an email address to send to and I noticed the submission date for the consultation period has been put back a week to Feb 18th.

Aushiker's analysis and comments of the draft strategy are a great basis for your own submission. The particular points I'm lifting are to do with roundabouts and mandatory re-testing of drivers.

You can email your submission to [email protected]

If you've never submitted to anything like this before you should know that every submission is read, summarised and collated with other submissions. Frequently issues that the authority hasn't considered are raised by members of the public.
RobertFrith

by BNA » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:20 pm

BNA

Re: National Road Safety Strategy submission date extension

Postby The Womble » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:20 pm

Safe Cycling Australia's submission has been made this week. Again as Robert said, I encourage all concerned cyclists to do the same. If we don't speak up, we won't see change. It's that simple
The Womble

Postby The Womble » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:28 pm

Some of SCA's submission:

2. Is there anything important that you think is missing from this draft strategy?

: 1)Please examine the specific rules pertaining to safe overtaking practice and concider new laws to ensure that vulnerable road users - including cyclists and pedestrians - are afforded the legal protection they need in order to stay safe.
2)A national system of signage to further highlight to motorists the possibility of cyclists being present on high risk urban and regional roadways. Such signage has been put to very effective use in several countries in the E.U. and in North America and New Zealand.
3)A total ban on the use of all portable electronic devices which which cause distraction whilst in control of a vehicle of any description and by pedestrians, with heavy penalties applying for offenders. Driver and pedestrian distraction is a major concern for us all.
4)Governments must now also look at 'Strict Liability' and how it should be applied to ALL road users.

3. Are there things that are not explained or where you think there should be more information?

: More information regarding cyclists road space and effective road sharing strategies is required for our current 1.6 million cycling population. Bare in mind that this is expected to increase to 3.8 million by 2016.

4. What do you think is good about about this draft strategy?

: The further reduction of speed limits in our cities is a great initiative.

5. What can we do differently to improve this draft strategy?

: Broaden the scope of the draft to better include the requirements of vulnerable road users, and find effective solutions to a an issue that will only increase with the doubling of the number of cyclists by 2016.
Australia cannot afford to wait any longer for something to be done
The Womble

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi

iL Pardone has made some good comment as about hierarchal levels of responsibility that would also go well in a submission in my view. It is something I should have included in hindsight.

Also the 2011-16 National Cycling Strategy has been published. I haven't read it yet, but it might be a useful resource for those wishing to make a submission.

Regards
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy