Show me THE light!

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: Show me THE light!

Postby mmhbeer » Sun May 01, 2011 5:55 pm

Ive had Ayups for over two years now and theyre still going well. I bought them for MTB off road at night and they were the only light that I could get both bar and helmet lights for a reasonable cost. They were pretty much the cheapest option available at the time.

Four of the fellas that I ride with have tried the magic shine and the Australian distributed equivalant. When they work they're good but you really need two of them because they aren't reliable. There has been trouble with the light head, battery and chargers.

Dont get sucked into the Lumen rating of these lights as a measure of the amount of light that they put out. My helmet mounted Ayup at 320 lumens is easily as bright as a Magicshine that is rated at 900 lumens. The current Ayup lights are rated at over 400 lumen and the you can also boost the power on them up further.

Im a happy Ayup user and would buy them again. If I were in the market for another brand of light id be buying Exposure lights.
mmhbeer

by BNA » Sun May 01, 2011 8:06 pm

BNA

Postby rifraf » Sun May 01, 2011 8:06 pm

and for the weight weenies and tight wads:
http://www.bikestation.fi/info/fi/braen ... /sondelux/
which shows a good reason why the son as opposed to some shimano brand dynohubs
and in particular the sondelux :idea:
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
rifraf

Postby The Walrus » Thu May 05, 2011 9:50 pm

What do people think is enough lumens for commuting and occasional trail rides at dusk?
Never underestimate the power of ignorance
The Walrus

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 06, 2011 1:26 am

credit: Palm Beach Bike Tours

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby The Walrus » Thu May 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Well I decided on going with my first choice and took delivery of my Exposure Strada this week from TrailMix in Melbourne...and its great. Trail Mix are the only outlet in Aus that are matching the likes of CRC for price, I paid $299.

I ordered on Friday and got it on Tuesday...2 days in and its exactly what I expected and needed. Worked a treat today on a very foggy morning!
The Walrus

Postby DrJay » Thu May 19, 2011 9:55 pm

The Walrus wrote:
Thanks to an earlier post I saw mentioned Exposure Lights and have looked up their web site. It seems to be a rechargeable light that doesn't have the hassles of batteries being attached and so on, I assume its built in as part of the unit. You just attach it to your handlebars and off you go...different levels of brightness available depending on what you need and what you are prepared to pay.

Anyone know anymore? http://www.exposurelights.com

I've got an exposure Strada, the just superseded one.

3 hours on high, 10 hours on low, releases from bracket in 2 seconds (if that). Low beam is wide and flat (put it under drivers eyes, just), high puts a spot down the middle. New version is 50% more powerful than mine I think.

I've got the old RedEye at the back, I'm easily visible for more than 1km at night. New equivalent is better with flash and brighter.
Humans are not so much rational beings, as rationalizing ones.

2010 Giant Yukon with slicks and stuff.
2008 Salsa Casseroll
2010 SE Lager
DrJay

Postby GraemeL » Fri May 20, 2011 7:45 am

mmhbeer wrote:Four of the fellas that I ride with have tried the magic shine and the Australian distributed equivalant. When they work they're good but you really need two of them because they aren't reliable. There has been trouble with the light head, battery and chargers.

When you say there's been trouble, I assume you are saying that about the Magicshines and not the Australian Nitelights. I have two sets of Nitelights and have not had an ounce of trouble from them.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 20, 2011 3:47 pm

GraemeL wrote:When you say there's been trouble, I assume you are saying that about the Magicshines and not the Australian Nitelights. I have two sets of Nitelights and have not had an ounce of trouble from them.

Sorry to disappoint you Graeme but your experience is not universal. They would appear for all intents and purposes to be exactly the same lights and batteries sold for a higher price, presumably reflecting the fact you have someone in Australia taking responsibility for warranty issues & who can get sued if things go terribly wrong. No doubt the resellers will make all sorts of claims about how much better they are than everybody else, but in my opinion, that is just snake oil. As far as I can tell, Nitelights do not even claim to use different lights or batteries, but rather that the battery and charger combination have been tested to Australian Standards.

If sellers were reputable they wouldn't quote figures like 900, 1000 or 1400 lumens as if these had actually been measured out the light head as bought. Sure they are bright, but are they that bright? Another clue is the weasel words they try to use in their warranty. The webstie appears to be screwed at the moment, but currently the Google cache includes the following:
nitelights.com.au wrote: Please Note: Batteries are not included in the warranty unless dead on arrival. ... Nitelights shall not be liable for any incidental or consequential damages.

Sorry, but warranties in relation to goods for personal, domestic or household use cannot be avoided in that way (Competition and Consumer Act 2010 - SCHEDULE 2 at sections 64 & 64A)

Some people win the Chinese lottery & have no problems at all, some lights or batteries die. A very few get a front row seat for the fireworks show. My Chinese light and battery works very well, its bright enough for me and but I accept that others may not - such is the nature of poor quality control.
find_bruce

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 21, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Avalanche » Tue May 31, 2011 10:23 am

Hey there. I'm another happy recent convert to Ayups. Purchased the V4 adventure kit wit intermediate and narrow combo lights both with 40% extra. Yes, they were expensive, but what price can you put on safety. They are perfect for my regular 15Km night time commutes. No idea of the light output, but more than enough for my 30Km/h average (topping out at about 45Km/h) on road. Currently I have both light sets mounted on my bars, and haven't yet had any issues (that I'm aware of) with blinding other road users, although my route is pretty quite. Maybe 1 or 2 cars, and usually going the same way as me. After a lot of research I went this way for many reasons, not least because I can easily swap between two bikes and the helmet mount option. They can also be very easily and quickly be removed from the bike for security when parking.
Avalanche

Postby Trev Campbell » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:31 am

Hi guys, just found this on EBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SSC-P7-1200L ... 3f018b8b43 just wondering if anyone has used one and what thay are like ??

Thanks
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"
Trev Campbell

Postby l45er » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:27 am

Trev Campbell wrote:Hi guys, just found this on EBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SSC-P7-1200L ... 3f018b8b43 just wondering if anyone has used one and what thay are like ??

Thanks

That is basically one of these viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26723

They are cheap, well made and very bright. Only issues are battery pack and waterproofing, cable length (for some), and bar mount can be a bit average.

I'd recommend the Magicshine 808e - I've had one for a month and is a very good light for $75. Need to get a separate head mount though.
l45er

Show me THE light!

Postby The Walrus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:08 pm

This has been discussed a lot on other threads but the option of these cheaper lights seems to come down to build quality. Are they safe left charging overnight etc etc. Personally I wanted something with a guarantee/warranty with the promise that it would last and provide the peace of mind that it would work every time and not burn the house down!
The Walrus

Postby rifraf » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:18 am

Trev Campbell wrote:Hi guys, just found this on EBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SSC-P7-1200L ... 3f018b8b43 just wondering if anyone has used one and what thay are like ??

Thanks

Hi Trev,
cant comment on that particular lightset but would encourage you to search this forum on the
topic of lighting systems.
A good lighting system that allows you to see and be seen is what stands between you and death when riding
from dusk onwards.
For the sake of yourself and anyone that cares for you, buy the best you can.
Preferably buy once and "buy right!"
Whilst I'd advise you to consider spending the bucks on a dynamo hub system, I understand the pocket shock
of the initial outlay is enough to put a lot of people off before they have fully thought it through.
Take the time to think it through and add to the cost of what ever you purchase some reflectors and
a florescent vest of some description.
Read all the threads in this forum on lights to try to get a consensus on the best bang for buck.
Then decide whether or not your going to remember to charge or buy new batteries in time for each ride.
This is something you no longer have to remember with a good dynamo hub system.
The outlay in my opinion is nothing compared to getting knocked down because of insufficient lighting.
Good luck what ever decision you make and I hope the lights fore-fill your expectations.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
rifraf

Postby juggled_balls » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:40 pm

something interesting happened to me tonight. I've been using my ayups for nearly 2 years now and i love them. switch them between my mountain bike and road bike handlebars easily enough and another set stays on my helmet. but anyways i was riding home along a lit main road and along the way saw some cops doing some random breath testing. i was about the just ride past the cop waving people down but he just started waving harder. pulled up next to him and asked him if he was serious and he said that he thought i was a car and said not to worry and keep going. that's my 2 cents on ayups :)
juggled_balls

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:46 am

Thanks

Thats not the same seller as i bought from but exactly the same light. Superficially it looks very well made (i've had plenty of cheap nasty lghts before with eggshell thin housing, caps that wouldn't screw on properly etc), and i've had no trouble yet (though i'm only on the 3rd charge). After looking at light reviews in MBA for the last few years and comparing it to this light i would say it's 900 lumens not 1200 but it's definitely MILES brighter than ayups (i have ridden off road with this light alongside a bloke with ayups and while he had the advantage of being able to point them any which way his weren't even half as bright as mine).
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby GraemeL » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks

I have already posted earlier, that I use Nitelights and have been very happy with them. I have just purchased one from the above link, for $49 delivered, i figured I would buy one and compare it to mine.
If it is waterproof and performs the same it will be a bonus, if not then I'm $49 out of pocket. I have just bought the grandson a bike and he will be needing lights, hopefully this will do the job :)

When it arrives I will post back with an update for anyone who is interested.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby teamdanby » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:01 pm

yeh i'm another Nightlights user and my 900 lumens serves me fine for the early morning country rides to work each day

none of this street light lit roads these are proper countr roads with 80 and 100km/h speed limits
so i figure i need to be well and truly seen
the light is easy to use easy to recarge and easy to take off for trail riding
so that the frount and i have one red flasher on the seat post and another red flasher on my bag meaning i'm easy seen from the rear also, and so far so good

mind you i'm thinking of saveing up to get me a nightlights UFO for the frount now thats a mean unit :D
Daily comuter
Gaint XTC mtb
city slicker wheels for the week
kenda nevegal for the tracks on the weekends
teamdanby

Postby GraemeL » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:44 pm

For anyone interested, I ordered this EBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SSC-P7-1200L ... 3f018b8b43 on 21-8-2011, it turned up 9-9-2011.
The price was $49. It is rated as 1200 lumen but it's more in par with mine which is 900 lumen.

It arrived in an assuming cardbaord box, the contents consisted of, 1 Front Light Unit, 1 Led Tail Light and mount, 1 Battery and cover/holder, 2 different sized Rubber O rings, 1 Charger with adapter included and 1 Headstrap.

I have the original Nitelite 900 lumen, so i will compare it to that. I have to say, there is not really a whole lot of difference and for $49 I can't complain. Of course only time will tell

Main Light
Original has better fiinish around the edge of the glass, apart from that the only other noticable difference is the color.

Batteries
Original is slightly bigger and has a different connection. the case is about the same, the original open, long ways and has two straps to close it. The other has the opening at the end and has 1 strap. The finish on the batteries is different. The original has a rubbery feel, while the Ebay has more of a plastic/rubber feel.

Tail Light
The tail light is not super bright, but is adequate and takes two tripple A. It also has a few different flash modes. It just feels cheap.

Output
This is about the same, there is no difference that I can tell. Its really bright and has the same flash/low settings as the original.

What's in the box

Original Nitelight products are the left.

Lights

Batteries

Battery Covers

Graeme
Last edited by GraemeL on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GraemeL

Postby elStado » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:55 pm

GraemeL wrote:For anyone interested, I ordered this EBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SSC-P7-1200L ... 3f018b8b43 on 21-8-2011, it turned up 9-9-2011.
The price was $49. It is rated as 1200 lumen but it's more in par with mine which is 900 lumen.

Main Light
Original has better fiinish around the edge of the glass, apart from that the only other noticable difference is the color.

Original Nitelight products are the left.

Lights

Looks very similar to the new options on DX with a new model XML-T6 emitter. Just ordered one myself the other day after talking to a few people who had gotten one and were quite happy with the build quality and performance (for the price). I'll still probably get a set of Ay Up lights, these are just to test the waters and have as a N+1.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
elStado

Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Postby GraemeL » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:44 pm

Yep, I think they are all pretty much the same. At the end of the day, if they are bright, last and work in the rain, then for the price they are great and I really don't see the need to buy expensive light sets.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby elStado » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:55 pm

GraemeL wrote:Yep, I think they are all pretty much the same. At the end of the day, if they are bright, last and work in the rain, then for the price they are great and I really don't see the need to buy expensive light sets.

Agreed. For anyone looking to get one of these lights be aware that the "P7" lights are now redundant, with the new "T6" replacing them. I think they are slightly brighter. Not a major difference but worth checking.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
elStado

Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Previous

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy