In an accident? You need to know this.

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: In an accident? You need to know this.

Postby beanspropulsion » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:01 pm

Be aware of white Nissan Micra? 804 LEV.

That is criminal, speechless.
beanspropulsion

by BNA » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:25 pm

BNA

Postby rangersac » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:25 pm

There are plenty of knuckle draggers in Tassie but we seem to lack the homicidal variety, or at least I am yet to encounter them. Every time I see a video like yours though Ox I get ever closer to hitting the buy button on a Fly6. Un-friggin-believable. Your restraint is admirable, if it were me I'd be going to town on that driver and the cops with that video.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:07 pm

In other news, it's going viral. A riding mate just posted it on Facebook. Justice will be done. :x
Xplora

Postby Oxford » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:15 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:Unbelievable footage. May I ask where this occurred? Would like to have an understanding of the area should I ever come through there.

Again thanks for the info, I hope never to refer to it
It happened on Old Northern Road, just before Keona Road in Everton Park:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZvUXc

Can't seem to do the google map thingy.

On a side note ACA have contacted me about the video. I will talk to them tomorrow just to see what they want. Not sure how involved I want to be with them.

After reading many of the comments here I think I will write a letter to the Police Commissioner asking whether they are able to take further action over the matter.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:24 pm

[/quote]It happened on Old Northern Road, just before Keona Road in Everton Park:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZvUXc

Can't seem to do the google map thingy.
[/quote]

Thanks mate, last i rode through there was on a Redcliffe Loop, thought it looked familiar. It's a regularly used road by cyclists. Drivers should very much be used to seeing bikes around along there. Truly is unbelievable, considering how much room and visibility there is along there.
clydesmcdale

Postby jules21 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Oxford wrote:On a side note ACA have contacted me about the video. I will talk to them tomorrow just to see what they want. Not sure how involved I want to be with them.

After reading many of the comments here I think I will write a letter to the Police Commissioner asking whether they are able to take further action over the matter.

that's great to hear, Ox - on both counts. i'd love to see you on ACA - i know it's risky and there's no guarantee they won't stitch you up, but in the circumstances i can't see that they would have much choice but to run a sympathetic line. what the driver does is clearly inexcusable.
jules21

Postby Oxford » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:21 pm

Yeah ACA wanted to talk to me in 2012 about another video, I baulked at the last moment fearing a stitch up, I am very wary of their motives.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:26 pm

I wonder if you are able to arrange final edit approval as part of agreeing to appear on camera? I doubt it would be possible, but it certainly helps stop a stitch up. I don't think that would be their desire though... clear driver aggression is a good thing to rail against, rather than for.
Xplora

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:37 pm

If you're going to have any dealings with the meeja Ox, and particularly THAT branch, may I suggest that you take all your cameras to the interview and run them constantly? Nothing like being able to show raw footage to beat a sneaky Q&A swapping edit...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby hudnut » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:59 pm

Xplora wrote:In other news, it's going viral. A riding mate just posted it on Facebook. Justice will be done. :x

Be aware that a google search shows that this car was for sale in april 2014.
I dont think a new car owner needs any grief.
hudnut

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:27 pm

Oxford wrote:Yeah ACA wanted to talk to me in 2012 about another video, I baulked at the last moment fearing a stitch up, I am very wary of their motives.

Don't give them anything - they'll just tear you apart. They don't have any ethics. They'll probably get Ian Luff and or Ben Fordham on camera talking about unsafe riding, etc. Need I remind you:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55990 (A Current Affair, Ben Fordham and Ian Luff's Stitch Up)

il padrone wrote:
Oxford wrote:Ultimately I would settle for no money compensation if the driver surrendered her license for a 30 month period, roughly the mount of time it has taken me to get my life back on track (though not 100%). Basically forcing her to seek alternative means of transport such as maybe a bicycle. Well at least I can daydream that that would happen.

I have an Italian background in me. I would settle for a just, nasty, and memorable act of revenge :evil:

For the love of Mike, that woman committed a deliberate and wilful act of assault towards you. A long prison term would be a fairly reasonable expectation. Yes, 30 months deprived of the car and locked in the slammer might be OK.

Absolutely the driver deserves time behind bars. It was very, very deliberate. The driver now will be absolutely terrified of the thought of what might be around the corner.
g-boaf

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:48 pm

I just take it to court seeking criminal charges.
singlespeedscott

Postby cp123 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:39 pm

You're now on Safe cycling, the cycling security group (whatever they're called) ANOCS

you'll be round the world in 3 days. Unfortunately ... (because it happened, not because it's going out there)
cp123

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:33 am

You don't have to talk to the media or appear on TV if you think it would harm you or your family's health (mentally and physically). Surely even without a statement from you the video is self-explanatory.

The police don't need you to go to the media for them to investigate this and see about additional charges. Of course the media may help them work a bit faster and/or be more diligent.
Summernight

Postby Xplora » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:38 am

I support Oxford's position on this - the poor bloke is dealing with some level of post traumatic stress disorder, and he's waiting for the settlement to hit his bank account. He's still relatively anonymous at this point, and I think that's a smart move. Putting his face in front of a TV camera doesn't look after his family - the settlement will.

Once that cash comes in, as Russ said in Gladiator - "unleash hell"...
Xplora

Postby Oxford » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:54 am

I've pretty much decided that depending on intent I will participate on the basis that my name, image or anything that identifies me is off the table. The video speaks for itself and is hard to twist. I will insist on it bein used wholly with no editing.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:05 pm

Oxford wrote:I've pretty much decided that depending on intent I will participate on the basis that my name, image or anything that identifies me is off the table. The video speaks for itself and is hard to twist. I will insist on it bein used wholly with no editing.

i've been interviewed on prime time TV for cycling stuff. it's amazing how no one notices. you have this perception that you're going to be like Princess Di with paparazzi following you and people recognising you, but it isn't the case. i think a few people i knew saw it and mentioned to me. but that was it.
jules21

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:56 pm

jules21 wrote:
Oxford wrote:I've pretty much decided that depending on intent I will participate on the basis that my name, image or anything that identifies me is off the table. The video speaks for itself and is hard to twist. I will insist on it bein used wholly with no editing.

i've been interviewed on prime time TV for cycling stuff. it's amazing how no one notices. you have this perception that you're going to be like Princess Di with paparazzi following you and people recognising you, but it isn't the case. i think a few people i knew saw it and mentioned to me. but that was it.

I did what Oxford is thinking of doing (not full name, not face etc.). People recognised me on the street at the time during my commutes because of my distinctive cycling gloves as they were in the video. But because I didn't go full frontal on TV, people who don't know me didn't recognise it was me involved, which is how I like it as then I control whether it gets brought up or not and it doesn't define who I am. I also think the message came across better too doing it that way. My 2 cents. I guess it depends on the circumstances and yes, the paparazzi do, thankfully, go away. We're not royalty. :)
Summernight

Postby Oxford » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:07 pm

Been interviewed before on Channel 7 - 14-03-2011, roughly nine months before the accident, here is the news story:

I cut a striking figure back then, :? wish I was still that thin. :mrgreen:
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Matthewb » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:49 pm

The term 'accident' probably shouldn't be used in this case.... I had similar behaviour happen today, on a short bridge section so it was very narrow. I have a rear view mirror so I could see what was going on - I decided to bail up the gutter onto the footpath rather than die, fortunately there were no police around or I would have been sent to jail for riding on a footpath (motorist may have received a stern talking to, if that....). [/cynical rant]

Anyway, I hope it works out for you mate, that was brutal.
Matthewb

Postby dungee » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:14 am

I see the car has been sold recently? Hopefully it won't be needed in prison. You are a better man than me Oxford, I would have wanted blood for that.

From Autotrader....

MY2007 Upgraded Automatic Hatch with a Full Log Booked Log Book Service History for safety, comfort and peace of mind reliability an low cost motoring! ABS brakes, electronic brake distribution and brake assist are all added safety features of the MY2007 upgrade model. Cruise Control has also been added to improve the comfort and overall value of this Nissan Tiida hatch. Located in the heart of Brisbane's Northside we are an RACQ Recommended Dealer servicing our customers from the same location in Brisbane for the past 15 years. We are a family owned and operated company and we have pride in the quality and variety of our vehicles that all come with RACQ and PPSR Reports so you know exactly what you are buying. We offer finance and warranty options, so contact us now, we look forward to assisting you and your family with your motoring needs.

Vehicle Details
Rego 804LEV VIN MNTFBAC11A0010302 Engine number MR18036794R Kms 82280
dungee

Postby Oxford » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:40 am

Lots of questions are being raised via various forums whether here or FB pages etc etc, rather than answer them all spasmodically I am adding to the YT Video Comment area so that it is centrally located.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby cowled » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Oxford, I don't know how I missed this thread. I saw your video after Dave Sharp shared it on FB. That was truly horrific. How on earth can somebody have such low regard for human life? I think it is outrageous that the driver got off with a TIN. It's a familiar story. I wonder whether it would be possible to get the DPP's attention if we submitted a joint request for prosecutorial intervention. Clearly, the QPS need to receive unambiguous direction as to the meaning of Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle causing Grievous Bodily Harm. PM me if you are interested in talking further.
cowled

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:39 pm

Frightening footage, I have two video cameras and never use them because there seemed little point until now. I reckon they'll be on the bike for every ride now, that is just scarey Showtime
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus

Postby Oxford » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:49 pm

It used to bug me that I had to make sure they were charged, make sure they were on, make sure they point oriented correctly etc etc. But like many others it became part of the routine and comforting to a degree that the days when you realised you hadn't charged them you were on even higher alert, more wary. Having them changed the outcome of my compensation case, no doubt at all. I think now with even better cameras and more simpler use its a no brainer. Whilst I will never ride on the road again, I still purchased a Fly6 for peace of mind, to support a great product and in the absolute rare case I need it, to have what I need to defend myself against a corrupted system where cyclists have no voice.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy