Would cyclists rather be injured than uncool?

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: Would cyclists rather be injured than uncool?

Postby KenGS » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:48 pm

twizzle wrote:
Oxford wrote:
myforwik wrote:70% of collision involving bicycles are the fault of the cyclist. So high visibility won't help that much.

I have ridden along time in hi-vis and changed to non hi-vis. With hi-vis people pick you up *to quickly* and completely misjudge your speed. I have had people pull out in front of me constantly while wearing high-vis and never where I am wearing all black. I don't know.

the MUARC studies actually suggest nearly 90% of collisions involving cyclists and motor vehicles are the fault of the motor vehicle driver.

No. The helmet camera study showed a high percentage of people riding with helmet cameras were not at fault in accidents, but they are not representative of the general population. (Although, based on my riding experience, I would expect that number would be similar for the general population as well). But there is another Australian study somewhere (can't find via simple search) that investigated cause of death for bicycle accidents and something like 60% of the cyclists killed were at fault.

You may now all return to your normal viewing....

... myopic as it appears.

:P

There is a report from Queensland http://eprints.qut.edu.au/34208/
From 1 January 2000 to 31 December 2008, there were 6328 crashes reported to police involving bicycles and motor vehicles, comprising 93.4% of police reported bicycle crashes. The bicyclist was deemed the at-fault vehicle in 2809 instances (44.4%). Younger cyclists (16 years or younger) and elderly cyclists (80+) were more likely to be the at-fault unit, while cyclists aged 30-69 were at fault in less than 30% of bicycle-motor vehicle crashes

Note the higher number of "cyclist at fault" for younger and older riders.
The role of traffic violations as contributing factors changed according to the unit at-fault (see Figure 4). When the motorist is at-fault, traffic violations were recorded in 85.4% of crashes and driver conditions were recorded for 16.4% of crashes. When the cyclist is at-fault, traffic violations were recorded in only 28.1% of bicycle-motor vehicle crashes.

and
For crashes where the bicyclist is at-fault, the most frequently recorded traffic violations are: "disobey traffic light" (6.4%); "fail to keep left" (5.1%); and "fail to give way" (4.7%). The contributing factors most likely to be indicated when a cyclist is the at-fault vehicle are: inattention/negligence (34.7%) or inexperience/lack of expertise (26.5%).
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

by BNA » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:07 pm

BNA

Re: Would cyclists rather be injured than uncool?

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Oxford wrote:
From 1 January 2000 to 31 December 2008, there were 6328 crashes reported to police involving bicycles and motor vehicles,...

there's the rub, this only includes the incidents reported to police, how many incidents were not reported, did not have significantly adverse outcomes requiring investigation, but were the fault of the motorist? or the cyclist? this is where the MUARC study uncovered that many incidents were avoided by cyclists and their raised awareness, that were the doing of the motorist. I'm not going to disagree that some cyclists come off second best and often it is probably the fault of the cyclist, but there are many unreported incidents. when I was cycle commuting, I avoided plenty of incidents daily due to my own spatial awareness, that were 100% the fault of motorists breaching their requirements such as giving way, trying to bully other road users etc etc.

Good points. I for one will no longer reports incidents to the South Metropolitan District of the WA Police as it is a waste of time. I wonder how many others are now doing the same. Given past letters to the local paper I suspect there are few.

Andrew
Aushiker

Previous

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy