Obligation to use bicycle lane

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: Obligation to use bicycle lane

Postby zero » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:22 pm

mianos wrote:Aside from looking this up I also asked the Sydney City Council bike representative at a meeting a while back, in regards to the mandatory usage of the bike lane up Bourke St. As far as I understand from reading the law and as stated by the Council (on record), it's not mandatory that you use it. For me it's not practical if I am on my road bike as well. You can't really do 35kph safely with the intersections running into it. On my clunker it's superb and if I am going slower I always use it.
On the other hand that does not stop ignorant loons from yelling at me to get on the bike lane when I am cruising south down the road at 40kph in a 40kph zone. It's no use getting upset at them because nothing short of a sudden stop from 60kph into a wall would change their behaviour.

Whilst I understand exactly where you are coming from, as the traffic light timings for the cycleway are terrible, you can ride up clarence, and you can ride down sussex or george, plenty of choices. I've also been cut off twice now by riders divebombing the cycleway from the roadway because the traffic started to tailback and they realised that the cycleway was EMPTY. For some reason such riders do not look back along the cycleway when they suddenly stop and stick their wheels through the gaps in the kerb.
zero

by BNA » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:54 pm

BNA

Re: Obligation to use bicycle lane

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Personally I think bike lanes within door zones should be removed. I shudder to think what injuries I would substain if I hit the end of a door at 40kph
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Previous

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy