A bizzare story

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

A bizzare story

Postby sumgy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:33 am

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews ... 6195296712

Guy is attacked for no reason; has 2 people come to his aid but does not want to press charges despite supposedly having 2 witnesses??
Truly strange IMO.
sumgy

by BNA » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:49 am

BNA

Re: A bizzare story

Postby rkelsen » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:49 am

That truckie sounds like a maniac. If the cyclist were to press charges, I have no doubt that he'd be dead the next time they meet on the road.

"He said he was being kicked and having his head slammed on the tarmac"

That's an act of pure hate.
rkelsen

Postby Drunkmonkey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:08 am

rkelsen wrote:That truckie sounds like a maniac. If the cyclist were to press charges, I have no doubt that he'd be dead the next time they meet on the road.

Thats even more reason for the cyclist to press charges - the next cyclist may not be so lucky..........

Its either very bizarre, or there is more to the story!!
Drunkmonkey

Postby sumgy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:14 am

Drunkmonkey wrote:
rkelsen wrote:That truckie sounds like a maniac. If the cyclist were to press charges, I have no doubt that he'd be dead the next time they meet on the road.

Thats even more reason for the cyclist to press charges - the next cyclist may not be so lucky..........

Its either very bizarre, or there is more to the story!!

You have said what I implied. :D
sumgy

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:21 am

"What is most alarming to me is the fact that there are people on our roads driving heavy vehicles around with that deadly intent to do serious bodily injury to innocent cyclists," he [cyclist] said.

Indooroopilly officer-in-charge Senior Sergeant Richard Symes said they would be pursuing the matter but as the cyclist had declined to press charges they had limited options.

"We will pursue it and speak with the other party and try to counsel him with support services."

He said with the popularity of cycling increasing it was only going to get more important for both motorists and cyclists to realise they had equal rights and had to give equal consideration.

"It's a two-way street here," he said.

Almost as alarming as someone who recognises the danger but impedes the police in taking action to prevent it happening again ????

On a positive note, that statement from the police is a good one too. I think thats the primary message so many of us are trying to get through to the motoring masses. I also like the fact that they are following up despite being impeded by the cyclists inaction.

BTW - My experiences with Indooroopilly Police Station have been excellent. This has inspired me to send them a positive feedback email.

PS - Does anyone else think the cyclist needs counselling? Is he not pressing charges due to confusion at the time, something to hide ???? Only he knows his reasons but gee I find this very frustrating.

@Womble - Does the SCA organisation offer counselling in these situations? Judging by some of your posts, I'm thinking you'd probably be the man to provide the "counselling" services to both parties in this situation. :mrgreen:

Edited to add PS etc
Last edited by Rhubarb on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rhubarb

Postby sumgy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:26 am

Rhubarb wrote:
Almost as alarming as someone who recognises the danger but impedes the police in taking action to prevent it happening again ????

Exactly.
This guy is in effect condoning the drivers actions and allowing him to possibly do this same sort of thing again.
sumgy

Postby goneriding » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:30 am

Sounds like there might be more to the story! Irrespective, there is no excuse to act in the manner that the driver did.

The interesting thing is that the Kenmore area seems to be problematic with motorists and cyclists. I've heard (anecdotally) of other people having problems out that way and it was the only area I experienced any problems when I lived in Brisbane.

Brave move by the driver to wait until the guy turned away!
goneriding

Postby Drunkmonkey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:46 am

goneriding wrote:Brave move by the driver to wait until the guy turned away!

Thats assuming you believe the cyclists version of events :wink:
Drunkmonkey

Postby rkelsen » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:56 am

Drunkmonkey wrote:Thats even more reason for the cyclist to press charges - the next cyclist may not be so lucky..........

Let's say the cyclist presses charges, it goes to court and somehow the driver gets off scott free. This possibility can't be ignored, in light of several recent decisions about road accidents involving cyclists.

This results in 2 negative outcomes: 1. It sets a precedent for every other angry driver, and 2. It only makes the truckie angrier, and more likely to kill next time.
Drunkmonkey wrote:Its either very bizarre, or there is more to the story!!

I hope that there is a lot more to this story. The human side of me wants to believe that nobody is capable of such an act unprovoked.
rkelsen

Postby Oxford » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:14 pm

what upsets me about this story besides the cyclist not taking it further (subject to knowing the whole story), is that first Qld police cannot do anything unless the cyclist decides to formally complain and second that when we do have situations of driver aggression and proof the police will not do anything.

the police seem to want to do something here because they feel it is a slam dunk prosecution wise.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:26 pm

Scumbag leaves a bloke with >$1k in out of pockets and broken ribs and he aint taking it further with Plod? :?
This bloke has not disclosed the full story or he has connections who will administer private justice...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby master6 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:30 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote: more to the story!!

"calls out in alarm"

Yes , I have done that; "you f..........useless...^%$&%^&$%#&$*6!!!!"

At least I am smart enough to have my getaway planned before I open my mouth.
This bloke is a dill for getting cornered, and queer for not prosecuting.
master6

Postby Drunkmonkey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:34 pm

rkelsen wrote:
Drunkmonkey wrote:Thats even more reason for the cyclist to press charges - the next cyclist may not be so lucky..........

Let's say the cyclist presses charges, it goes to court and somehow the driver gets off scott free. This possibility can't be ignored, in light of several recent decisions about road accidents involving cyclists.

This results in 2 negative outcomes: 1. It sets a precedent for every other angry driver, and 2. It only makes the truckie angrier, and more likely to kill next time.

The same could apply to every other person accused of a crime - I think you are being a bit dramatic by saying it would make the driver more likely to kill next time. By your reasoning no victim of any crime should report it :?
Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Oxford wrote:what upsets me about this story besides the cyclist not taking it further (subject to knowing the whole story), is that first Qld police cannot do anything unless the cyclist decides to formally complain and second that when we do have situations of driver aggression and proof the police will not do anything.

the police seem to want to do something here because they feel it is a slam dunk prosecution wise.

Dont take it personal - the cops do the same in domestic violence situations......its not an anti cyclist thing :roll:
Drunkmonkey

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Ummm, SCA doesn't offer counciling, no. But I will give him some free advice. Press charges or stop wasting Police time. If you are convinced that there has been annoffence committed and parrticularly on such a scale as this, you should realise that the next cyclist can and should be able hold you partially to blame for allowing the driver to keep his licence and possibly his freedom fromnbehind bars.
As Oxford said, it seems the Police were keen to prosicute. What part did you take in the incident? That thought is on repeat in my head. What part did you take in the incident?
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:17 pm

I wonder if the cyclist in question is also a swimmer? :roll:
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

Postby master6 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:20 pm

uncle arthur wrote:I wonder if the cyclist in question is also a swimmer? :roll:

Naughty uncle... :D :D :D :D :D :D
master6

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:08 pm

uncle arthur wrote:I wonder if the cyclist in question is also a swimmer? :roll:

You mean he tripped over the Creepy Crawly and before you know it a Truck came flying through the pool fence? Steph Rice is a bad influence
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby mcarrigg » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:22 pm

I found this comment a beauty for all the rednecks complaining about registration and "right" for cars to use road...

David Huntsman of Newport Beach, California Posted at 11:32 AM Today

This notion of vehicle registration fees providing the right to use the public roads, or even providing a paramount right for rego-paying motorists, is incredible. Where did it come from? Has it really been an assumption of so many people all this time? Obviously the driver here has not enough upstairs to work out the math, but I hope reasonable people see that our annual registration fees and petrol taxes, multiplied by the number of cars, wouldn't pay for the paint on a country road... And, even if road improvements were sustained by rego fees and petrol taxes, that does not provide the right to use the road exclusive of cyclists. It merely provides the privilege to use the road in a motor vehicle.

Comment 19 of 94
mcarrigg

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Never very positive to read the damn comments :oops: :x . Whole lot of trash from 'eggspurts' :roll:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby rkelsen » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:34 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:The same could apply to every other person accused of a crime - I think you are being a bit dramatic by saying it would make the driver more likely to kill next time. By your reasoning no victim of any crime should report it :?

You're right. :)

The article paints this guy as a psychopath, but as has already been mentioned, we don't know the full story.
rkelsen

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy