Commute video footage...some questions

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Commute video footage...some questions

Postby brisrouleur » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:59 pm

So after an interesting start to the week with a few aggressive drivers and near misses, I figured I may as well start using my GoPro as part of my daily commute as I read a lot of other commuters are doing now. I don't normally have much action to report as I like to keep out of the way and I do a pretty good job to avoid any possible situations. Anyway, I had my first piece of action this morning with the camera rolling... What annoys me is that the bloke saw me coming but decided to cut me off anyway. It actually doesn't look too bad on the clip, but I did have the brakes locked up and the back-end out sideways. :(

Here is a lo-fi version I've uploaded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpj-xgcGdXw

What I am wondering though, is where these little incidents cross the line such that I should report them officially? Is there a thread someone has started about this kind of thing? Where this behaviour is intentional and motorists go out of there way to cause unnecessary danger toward cyclists :x - these are the kind of things that I'd consider reporting, rather than when someone genuinely was not aware of my presence etc - usually the difference is quite obvious.
brisrouleur

by BNA » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:09 pm

BNA

Re: Commute video footage...some questions

Postby Oxford » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:09 pm

thread here for reporting drivers. for that incident, write to the Stafford cop shop, I think that is in their area, they have usually been very helpful with me:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=38102&hilit=template#p571690

we also have a thread for discussing moron motorists:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28321&hilit=moron+motorists#p406604
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby jules21 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:50 am

report to cops.
jules21

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi

Have you sped up the vision? If yes, then don't submit that. Submit a copy at the actual speed plus the slow motion section. Also point out it was about one second between when you got to the edge of the intersection and where the ute crossed your path. That demonstrates exactly how close the vehicle was.

Good luck with it.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Oxford » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:32 pm

do you have GPS at all? that's always good to show the speed you were doing and what you had to slow down to because of the emergency created by the other driver.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:41 pm

That was close :shock:

Use Oxford's template and report it.
trailgumby

Postby Davobel » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:10 pm

I'd report that incident. Even if the cops just give him a call, it might make him a bit more careful around cyclists, especially if the cops tell him they have video footage.
Davobel

Postby brisrouleur » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:07 pm

Ok, tomorrow I'll look at getting all the details together using the format Oxford has put together. No the video isn't sped up, the only part where the video speed is changed is for the slow motion bit.

I've updated the video with slightly better resolution on this Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYKBiaxogI8
But I'll hand over the plain footage with a slow motion section (without my annotations :roll: ) to the Police on DVD. Will keep the clip unlisted till I hear from Police whether it matters if I make it fully publicly available.

I do have GPS log from the ride also (in gpx format). Do Police want this data raw or me to chart it for them. From looking at the log I went from 42kph to 22kph at the corner in question.

I'd be skeptical if they would contact the driver? I was thinking they might just log all the details down and then if they kept getting reports involving the same vehicle they'd then follow up on it? Anyone know what is usually done?
brisrouleur

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy