Car Blind Spots v Dooring

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Car Blind Spots v Dooring

Postby Downhill » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:17 am

Do car blind spots contribute to dooring?

Drivers can't see cyclists as they enter the blind spot just off the rear right hand corner of the car. At that point cyclists aren't visible in either the side mirror or the rear view mirror. It might only be for a moment, but that's all it takes.

Many of us are drivers as well as cyclists, so let's not turn this into a "smokebox vs cyclists" thread. Cyclists who don't drive might not be aware of the blind spot. I think it should be included in any cycling safety course.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill

by BNA » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:00 pm

BNA

Re: Car Blind Spots v Dooring

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:00 pm

You need to adjust your side mirror better IMHO. I don't normally have any problems seeing cyclists (nor cars/trucks) in the side mirror.

The other thing to do is to pop the door and check before opening wide. It only takes a second, to maybe save a life, or severe injuries.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Oxford » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:38 pm

there is no excuse for a dooring, if you cannot see, then you didn't look. I agree with IP's process, which is what I do, along with actually moving around in the seat to increase the pan of vision. crack the door a little to change the field of vision. amazing what you can see when you take a real look and not a pretend look.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:07 pm

I think cyclists can help themselves by riding outside of the blind spot. I take my lane well before I approach any parked/stationary car. Riding behind a parked vehicle and cutting out at the last moment is a recipe for disaster in my mind.
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus

Postby panda1971 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:12 pm

I learnt to drive over 20 years ago now, I am unsure what they teach today, but I was always taught to look over the shoulder before everything, such as changing lanes and getting out of the car, that's the only way to see within the blind spot, I know myself I how bad it can be if you don't. Ever since I was doored a long time ago, I make a habit of looking, after all you are getting out of a stationary vehicle so it is your responsibility not to interfere with oncoming traffic and that includes bikes
panda1971

Postby Cinder » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:17 pm

When your in the drivers seat, pull the door latch/handle with your left hand.

Sounds stupid? Do it, you'll see. Great habit to get into, kind of forces/reminds you to look in your blind spot.

(not my idea, it is taught in parts of Europe when you go for you license, reversed of course).
*** insert signature here ***
Cinder

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:13 pm

Cinder wrote:When your in the drivers seat, pull the door latch/handle with your left hand.

Sounds stupid? Do it, you'll see. Great habit to get into, kind of forces/reminds you to look in your blind spot.

(not my idea, it is taught in parts of Europe when you go for you license, reversed of course).

I do the same.

Downhill's post mentioning a blind spot, so what? You do as I and il padrone do and venture the door a little open first, and check. And as cinder say's you use the left hand so turning your body towards the direction that you need to be checking. I do it not specifically for bikes but because it is plain stupid stupid stupid negligent to open a door fully or even half without some checking before and during.

I would hope that every driver, after a while, should have worked all this out. If someone doors a cyclist (or even a passing car) I have a pretty clear idea who contributed significantly, and probably fully, to the outcome.

I will modify my piety a little to acknowledge that, in windy conditions, the wind can catch the door (always seems to in car parks!). And some cars (my old Voyager for instance) do not have good door grips to give adequate purchase. Even worse for elderly or infirm (or unicyclists recovering from shoulder surgery). One more thing to consider if you are cycling in those conditions.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Downhill » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:47 pm

I agree with all of the above, but then again we're cyclists as well as drivers. We're aware of the risks. We adjust the mirrors properly and do the head checks. Drivers who aren't cyclists usually don't.

We can't control the driver who is just about to open the door. What we can do is alert less experienced cyclists - especially those who don't drive - to the dangers of the blind spot.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:46 pm

This is a clear indication that something is very very wrong in Queensland.
Victoria loses 2 cyclists this year and the State government seeks urgent advice for concideration of the 1 Metre Rule.
Queensland loses 9 cyclists in 3 months and their lives mean nothing to Bicycle Queensland or the Queensland Government. Not a thing.
Strong words? A tad harsh? Tell that to the families who will never get their loved ones back.
We do not care that an election is looming in the Sunshine State. We care about the lives of Queensland cyclists. We are calling for the Queensland Government to do the same and introduce Split 1/1.5 Metre legislation with strict enforcement immediately.
Our current law has never been adequate, and it has NEVER been enforced. There are no more excuses Premier Bligh. Have a heart. Please!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby jet-ski » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:53 pm

Adult cyclists that have never driven a car are a pretty rare breed.

But the answer is simple - don't ride in the door zone. :roll:
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
jet-ski

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:59 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:This is a clear indication that something is very very wrong in Queensland.
Victoria loses 2 cyclists this year and the State government seeks urgent advice for concideration of the 1 Metre Rule.
Queensland loses 9 cyclists in 3 months and their lives mean nothing to Bicycle Queensland or the Queensland Government. Not a thing.

It's all down to the coroner's findings in her report. Do you not have a coroner in Qld? If so, what did he/she have to say about the responsibilities for those 9 deaths??
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:05 pm

I might make it a mission to seek these very reports Pete. I think it needs to be scrutinised and presented to the Premier as soon as possible

The 2nd Womble

Postby Xplora » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:54 pm

Blind spot is absolute BS, has no impact.

If I'm in a nonbusy area, I can clearly see enough behind me through my rear vision mirror to open the door safely, because I can see 100m down the road.

If I'm in a busy area, I check visually, then crack the door open to signal my intention to exit. I like my arms and legs, I don't want a car/truck/bike removing them for me. Opening the door wide enough to cause a dooring incident to any cyclist riding below 30kmh is virtually impossible because I am cautious. If the bike is doing 30+, they shouldn't be in the door zone, because they won't be able to cope with such a manoeuver. I guess this is why I lack sympathy for drivers who door cyclists. As a motorist opening a door, I am either genuinely concerned about getting hit, or I've got plenty of awareness to prevent a dooring. You should be going to jail for such negligence if it results in a death, because it is not that hard to take enough care. :shock:
Xplora

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:25 am

Hear hear! No matter what I'm behind the wheel of, I know what is happening around me at all times barring the actions of the most stupid or reckless. There are no excuses!

The 2nd Womble

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy