Polite Pedestrians

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Polite Pedestrians

Postby Downhill » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:05 am

Well here's one you don't hear every day.

I was cycling along a PSP towards an intersecting pathway that I needed to take. Only one problem, there were two ladies on the intersecting path trying untangle two dogs from their leads. So I slowed down and rang the bell with about 10 metres to spare.

Immediately they moved themselves and their dogs into the bushes on the side of the path to let me through. Appreciating the courtesy, I said "Thank you" as I passed. In reply, they smiled and said, "Thank you for ringing your bell!".

Well that surprised me. I've never had anyone thank me for ringing the bell before.

In hindsight, they must have been so used to cyclists flying past without ringing their bells that they were surprised when one did!

Food for thought.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill

by BNA » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:08 am

BNA

Re: Polite Pedestrians

Postby jules21 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:08 am

i was riding past a group of middle aged women walkers the other morning, with a dog in tow (unleashed). they took up most of the path, made no attempt to control the wandering dog, which walked right across my front wheel as i passed (at a virtual standstill, by then). when i politely pointed out the requirement to leash the dog, one of the smart-assed women said "sorry what was that?"

polite pedestrians - they're out there, but they're being slowly outnumbered.
jules21

Postby Percrime » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:50 am

tell em that when you look at their dog you see dinner. That always.. without exception makes them back off. Especially when you mean it. Heh.. pick the dog up and ride off.. what are they going to do?
Percrime

Postby jules21 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:23 am

Percrime wrote:Heh.. pick the dog up and ride off.. what are they going to do?

maybe i'll get one of those kiddie transport trailers, put some meat in it and rig it up so that it shuts when they take the bait.

- son of sam
jules21

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy