Bunny Hopping Road Kerbing to save your life

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: Bunny Hopping Road Kerbing to save your life

Postby jules21 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:53 pm

this is a tad pedantic maybe, but heavy combination vehicles don't always track uniformly. the rear trailers can sway a fair way off where the front wheels tracked - particularly when changing direction at speed or over bumps. at low speed, the effect is even more pronounced - each axle group will track further inwards, with the last group on a b-double cutting in a fair way.
jules21

by BNA » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:35 pm

BNA

Postby lethoso » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:35 pm

PawPaw wrote:I rarely go on that road during the week. But was coming back from doing repeats on the Gateway Bridge. And had been talking over the weekend with a female cyclist who uses it all the time and reckons it isn't as bad as everyone makes out. Boy am I going to give her a serve.

Was doing 40+ on the section where the bike lane disappears to hold traffic up less and put them off passing.

Mustang wrote:I lived just off Racecourse Road, for 3 years the truck drivers on K S Dr are insane, dont ride it, possibly other than Sun am.

Oxford wrote:I know the road and honestly as confident as I am and assertive as I know I can be, I would never ride Kingsford Smith because it is just too dangerous with its random changes and inattentive and aggressive motorists.

I work on KSD, and ride it most days. Personally I find most of it ok, but it's a very bad road to be going slow on. The narrow section along the river between the ferry stop & the ICB is definitely hairy though - I almost always ride the footpath along that section on my way out to work, I don't need the stress. In the evenings (well after after peak hour, I work afternoons/evening) when I'm heading home I'll take the road through there if I feel like smashing it (40+), but if I don't have the legs I'll take the footpath. The rest of the road is usually OK - it's fairly wide on the citybound side till just before the ferry stop, and there's usually traffic banked up between hamilton & nudgee rd - on the way to work I do try to smash it between nudgee rd & the tafe where the bike lane starts to minimise passing though - traffic moves quicker there & it's a bit narrow.

I'd say 90% of the truckies are actually very good. It's the 5% that don't give a crap and the 5% that are genuine lunatics that are a worry.

Kenzo wrote:The Gateway (Sir Leo Hielscher) Bridge would make a fantastic river loop if it wasn't for the lack of provision for cyclist safety on Kingsford Smith Drive.

It really could. :(

If you do want a quieter (albeit longer and harder) route back, head over the schneider rd. bridge, and hop on the bike path that goes to nudgee rd, then track through the backstreets of hamilton till you get to sandgate rd. Then either head back to breakfast ck. road or follow abbotsford rd. back to the city.
lethoso

Postby Oxford » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:33 am

lethoso wrote:... The narrow section along the river between the ferry stop & the ICB is definitely hairy though - I almost always ride the footpath along that section on my way out to work, I don't need the stress...
yeah that's the bit I was referring to, which is the only section I ever used to consistently ride, on the footpath only, when linking a ride from the north side to the city. in the other direction I've only ever ridden once on the road, in a bunch, and even then that was hair raising for a Sunday morning. the pathway has its own obstacles, but pedestrians are softer than motor vehicles and don't move as fast.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby ft_critical » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:14 am

So this happened to me, I posted it somewhere on the forum… I was out for a leisurely ride in Tokyo, on Kanpachi dori or Kannana dori, can’t remember, heading to Kinuta Koen. Rolling along at maybe 20kmh in the inside lane of 3 lanes of traffic on a Mtn Bike. I was kind of in the gutter as an articulated lorry passed me on the right around a shallow left bend, he was going at maybe 25kmh. Tokyo is pretty congested as you can imagine.

Same as PawPaw, the truck got closer and closer. Finally I panicked. I didn’t bunny hop, I just threw myself on the pavement, unclipping as I did so. I didn’t really care about the bike. The rear wheels of the lorry rolled over the top of the gutter.

The thing for me was that Bunny hopping parallel to the left, brought with it the chance of falling back into the truck. Throwing myself on the ground was the surer option to be as far from the vehicle as possible. At 40kmh though, it is hard to convince your body to throw itself on the ground…
ft_critical

Postby Percrime » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:03 am

human909 wrote:A car or trucks wheels normally track the ones ahead of it. So if you brake then you'll be fine. What is the problem with braking?

Well they could have a wider trailer
Percrime

Postby Kenzo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:05 am

Percrime wrote:
human909 wrote:A car or trucks wheels normally track the ones ahead of it. So if you brake then you'll be fine. What is the problem with braking?

Well they could have a wider trailer

Now, where is that bike mirror thread...?
Kenzo

Postby jet-ski » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:05 pm

Agree with Jules, you just have to spend a bit of time behind those trucks in a car and you will see how much the trailers can wobble around!! They seem to squirm under brakes as well, and the truckie can only really straighten them out by putting the power on.

Fortunately my experience with these trucks has been on the open road when I'm on a bike - no curb to bunny hop over, just loose, deep pea gravel to deal with once you are off the tarmac :P
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
jet-ski

Postby human909 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:59 pm

jules21 wrote:this is a tad pedantic maybe, but heavy combination vehicles don't always track uniformly. the rear trailers can sway a fair way off where the front wheels tracked - particularly when changing direction at speed or over bumps. at low speed, the effect is even more pronounced - each axle group will track further inwards, with the last group on a b-double cutting in a fair way.

It doesn't take a genius to figure of that the rear wheels of a long vehicle will track inside the curve of the front wheels. In fact if you are on the road and you don't know this then I'm a little concerned.

However we really aren't talking about getting caught on the inside of a turning truck. That is an entirely different scenario. Lets not complicate things.
human909

Postby human909 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:59 pm

jules21 wrote:this is a tad pedantic maybe, but heavy combination vehicles don't always track uniformly. the rear trailers can sway a fair way off where the front wheels tracked - particularly when changing direction at speed or over bumps. at low speed, the effect is even more pronounced - each axle group will track further inwards, with the last group on a b-double cutting in a fair way.

It doesn't take a genius to figure of that the rear wheels of a long vehicle will track inside the curve of the front wheels. In fact if you are on the road and you don't know this then I'm a little concerned.

However we really aren't talking about getting caught on the inside of a turning truck. That is an entirely different scenario. Lets not complicate things.
human909

Postby Percrime » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:56 am

Actually the rear wheels of a really badly setup road train can track a metre out of line with the front and weave a good deal with it traveling in a straight line. Not many are badly set up but it happens. All vehicles are less stable under braking, just sayin
Percrime

Postby Kenzo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:17 am

All the more reason to stop sooner rather than later if you feel a b-double is pulling into you.... or ride up the next driveway ramp to the footpath.
I'm quite happy to bunny hop sidewards over the kerb but a speed of 40 km/h opens up many different risks.
Kenzo

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:17 am

Hi

These guys show you how to do it :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxC7rgeTGck&hd=1[/youtube]

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby jules21 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:35 am

i love those videos :)
jules21

Postby eeksll » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:44 am

the re-mounting of the bike on that vid looks mighty uncomfortable.

I had a similar situation to the OP a while ago. I couldn't quite "claim the lane" as I waited at the lights on the left with cars already in the left lane. None of the first 3 drivers who went past gave me any room and they just hooned past, this was all before I got across the intersection (this sort of thing is not that ab-normal).

For what ever reason that day I decided to stop on the other side of the intersection just after the lights ... maybe its cause i heard the truck ... and I just sat and watched the space I was going to be riding in. The space did not get any smaller, but I doubt i would of had the skill to ride that straight for the duration of the truck passing me.

Maybe the driver saw me stop on the side and this was the reason he did did not slow/give more space. I hope that is the reason atleast.
eeksll

Postby jet-ski » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:37 am

human909 wrote:

Hey human, they don't always 'track' well though, especially if the trailer is lightly loaded and the road is bumpy. The rear trailer can sway along a line.

We are probably complicating things.

Personally if a road like that was a regular occurence for me then I'd be joining the others on the footpath for the dangerous bit!

Also, just with claiming the lane - if you know you need to claim the lane, then don't filter at the lights. Park your bike where you would park your car in the line. Then you won't have problems holding your lane position, especially if you are a couple of cars back you should be able to keep up with the acceleration of the cars.
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
jet-ski

Postby human909 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:28 pm

Based on reading this thread and the scary unpredictable nature of truck trailers I'm going to start practising my ninjutsu skills. Next time a truck passes me rather than braking if they are getting close I plan to leap from my bike to the side of the trailer. Grab my bike and scale up onto the trailer. Remount my bike ontop of the trailer and ride off to safety on the other side. :mrgreen:

Oh and since I now have the ninjutsu skills I might as well throw a few Makibishi caltrops under the trucks wheels as I ride off silently into the night.
human909

Postby David_G » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:41 pm

human909 wrote:Based on reading this thread and the scary unpredictable nature of truck trailers I'm going to start practising my ninjutsu skills. Next time a truck passes me rather than braking if they are getting close I plan to leap from my bike to the side of the trailer. Grab my bike and scale up onto the trailer. Remount my bike ontop of the trailer and ride off to safety on the other side. :mrgreen:

Oh and since I now have the ninjutsu skills I might as well throw a few Makibishi caltrops under the trucks wheels as I ride off silently into the night.

I'm thinking you've developed Willischwaznegger skills if that's your plan.
The last thing we are likely to see of you will be your rear end disappearing along an A/C duct.
I just love riding my bike!
David_G

Postby jet-ski » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:25 pm

I could do with some of those caltrops!
jet-ski

Postby Kenzo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:03 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

Andrew

why did he change bikes?
Kenzo

Postby PawPaw » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:22 am

How are you supposed to know the truck overtaking is a B double?
The one passing me wasn't, but I didn't know its wheel base or if it was a double until it cleared me.
PawPaw

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:33 am

Kenzo wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Hi

Andrew

why did he change bikes?

cause it's cyclocross :-)
toolonglegs

Postby open roader » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:04 pm

I bunny hopped my C50 fair over a decent sized brown snake to save it's life yesterday....... (and maybe mine.... :shock: )

Cleared it just fine but was lucky it was on a false flat / downhill gradient and I was rolling approx 38km/hr at the time it shot out onto the road........
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

Postby eeksll » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:47 pm

jet-ski wrote:Personally if a road like that was a regular occurence for me then I'd be joining the others on the footpath for the dangerous bit!

Also, just with claiming the lane - if you know you need to claim the lane, then don't filter at the lights. Park your bike where you would park your car in the line. Then you won't have problems holding your lane position, especially if you are a couple of cars back you should be able to keep up with the acceleration of the cars.

Yes, lesson learnt !!.
eeksll

Postby human909 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:53 pm

PawPaw wrote:How are you supposed to know the truck overtaking is a B double?
The one passing me wasn't, but I didn't know its wheel base or if it was a double until it cleared me.

If you want to drive or ride safely you should be aware of your surroundings. Trucks don't just sneak up on you, they are visible and audible for a long time before they pass you.

Head check and/or use mirrors.
human909

Postby cannot think of one » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:42 am

I've found it interesting reading the couple of comments here about "merging" into the road from a bike lane and giving way to other traffic - if it is just a painted line down the edge of the road type then I see that as me being on the road and any traffic passing me is overtaking me and needs to act accordingly, NOT that I HAVE to give way to continue in the same direction - of course that said I don't just assume its clear or people will give way, I'm always checking to ensure my safety and won't just pull out, but move over smoothly and signal etc etc.

Is there anything legal that says we need to give way?
Cheers

PS. I used to bunny hop sidewise up kerbs for fun, although not at 40k :) Might have to see if I've still got it!!
cannot think of one

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy