Cyclist, 77, hit by car

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Cyclist, 77, hit by car

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:27 pm

Only two days into 2012 :(

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6234719852

A 77-year-old cyclist has escaped with minor injuries after he was hit by a car on Steve Irwin Way at Landsborough.

Emergency services were called to the scene at 9.39am.

The man was taken to Nambour Hospital in a stable condition.

“Minor” injuries could be anything and for a 77 year old minor injuries could mean no more cycling or a loss of independence.
2012 Oppy A4 | 200x Hard tail Kona Blast Deluxe
KonaCommuter

by BNA » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:15 pm

BNA

Re: Cyclist, 77, hit by car

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Obviously not jumping to any conclusions, especially without any details, but there is no way i would ride on that road any time after 6:30ish. For most of it there is next to no shoulder and a lot of very fast traffic.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Oxford » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:16 pm

I ride along there on the moto as part of a hinterland ride I like to do. You wouldn't get me on a bicycle along there for anything. No shoulder for most of it and with tourists (who invariably are not concentrating because they are tourists looking around) and tourist buses who are just trying to get somewhere on a timetable, its a recipe for disaster.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Cyclist, 77, hit by car

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:27 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Obviously not jumping to any conclusions, especially without any details, but there is no way i would ride on that road any time after 6:30ish. For most of it there is next to no shoulder and a lot of very fast traffic.

We used that route on our annual Brisbane-Noosa century ride, held for many years on the Ekka holiday. It is definitely not a pleasant road to ride.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby CommuRider » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:35 pm

Lucky him. We had 2 deaths this time last year.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:57 pm

I must admit it does irritate me when people declare a certain road as too damn dangerous to ride a bicycle along.

What if you happen to live on that road and cycling is your only method of transport, are you not entitle to ride there, or anywhere else for that matter, safely?

If it’s NOT safe for cyclists, then something should be done to make it safe for cyclists!
greyhoundtom

Postby PawPaw » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:35 pm

My group did a ride to Maleny a few months ago. We took a back road Beerburrum Rd? going up, stayed the night and only another guy and myself started back Sunday morning around 6am. I thought we were going back the same way and when we got to Landsborough he heads out onto SI Way as he said it was 10k shorter. I was a bit pl$$ed, and it wasn't at all relaxing, plus a strong SW headwind blew up, and it didn't measure 10k shorter.
PawPaw

Postby Oxford » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:07 am

the reason the road is not safe is because of other road users. technically if every road user followed the rules, then no road would be unsafe. the reason it is unsafe is because there is absolutely no shoulder, the white line to the left of the lane is painted right on the cracking edge of the road. the lane is probably the minimum width it needs to be to be a legal road and there are double lines. it just takes one impatient moron approaching from behind not judging their speed/distance correctly and you have one maimed cyclist.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy