2012 Cyclist fatalities

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Oxford wrote:I mostly agree with you, but it did involve a cyclist, or at least a person riding a bicycle (of sorts). Other than knowing each other I wonder how different this is to a driver taking the same action (attempting to buzz/scare a cyclist) and then actually making contact and injuring/killing the cyclist?

I had a cousin who decided it would be funny to take his unloaded gun in the garage, point it at his mate and shoot him in the face for a joke. Unbeknown to him, his father (my uncle) had used it the day before to shoot snakes, and had left it loaded. He got jailed for murder, not manslaughter. I see no reason the same shouldn't happen here. He knew exactly what he was doing, and planned it out, even knowing the consequences of his actions.
What are these salesmen peddling?
User avatar
Wayfarer
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: SW Sydney

by BNA » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:55 pm

BNA
 

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:55 pm

OMGosh wayfarer that's horrific. I can never understand the attraction of Russian roulette.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby stinhambo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:59 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Oxford wrote:I mostly agree with you, but it did involve a cyclist, or at least a person riding a bicycle (of sorts). Other than knowing each other I wonder how different this is to a driver taking the same action (attempting to buzz/scare a cyclist) and then actually making contact and injuring/killing the cyclist?

I had a cousin who decided it would be funny to take his unloaded gun in the garage, point it at his mate and shoot him in the face for a joke. Unbeknown to him, his father (my uncle) had used it the day before to shoot snakes, and had left it loaded. He got jailed for murder, not manslaughter. I see no reason the same shouldn't happen here. He knew exactly what he was doing, and planned it out, even knowing the consequences of his actions.


That doesn't make sense unless he knew it was loaded and wanted to kill his mate? Anyway, I don't think this person's death should be treated as a cyclist casualty as it wasn't really a bicycle.
Image
User avatar
stinhambo
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:40 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Cairns, QLD

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby Livetoride » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby Livetoride » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:43 am

Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:49 am

Is it sampling error, but I've noticed there's been a high percentage of 60+ age group involved in fatal and other bike accidents.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby Livetoride » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:53 am

sogood wrote:Is it sampling error,

Not sure what you mean mate..
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:04 am

Livetoride wrote:Not sure what you mean mate..

"Sampling" in terms of the reports (newspaper, forums etc) I come across.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby zero » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:49 pm

sogood wrote:
Livetoride wrote:Not sure what you mean mate..

"Sampling" in terms of the reports (newspaper, forums etc) I come across.


its not sampling error. The elderly and very young have far more cycling accidents per km, also far more at fault accidents.
zero
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby Wayfarer » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:45 pm

zero wrote:
sogood wrote:
Livetoride wrote:Not sure what you mean mate..

"Sampling" in terms of the reports (newspaper, forums etc) I come across.


its not sampling error. The elderly and very young have far more cycling accidents per km, also far more at fault accidents.

Makes sense; I see kids falling over all the time at the skatepark. Young people and Older people have a lessened sense of balance and slightly slower coordination. They might just be smarter than the rest of us though :lol:
What are these salesmen peddling?
User avatar
Wayfarer
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: SW Sydney

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby bdstratton » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:28 am

bdstratton
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby DavidTomic » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:14 am

bdstratton wrote:Another cyclist was killed this morning


I was just reading about that story. Scary thing is that I ride through that exact intersection every single day on my way to and from work.

The Herald Sun article seems to have a bit more detail about the event.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-n ... 6267337845

I'm not on the bike at the moment because I've just had surgery on Wednesday, but on a 'normal' day I'd be riding through that exact spot not too much later than the accident happened.

Definitely not a scene that I would have liked to come across while riding into work!
User avatar
DavidTomic
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: Caroline Springs, VIC

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby hosko » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:27 am

Doesn't sound good.

No lights, no helmet and possibility that she "may" have been listening to music.

Sensory deprivation whilst not wearing protective gear. As they stated that she suffered a head injury, maybe a helmet might have her still breathing.

Very sad start to the day.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2
hosko
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:12 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby Livetoride » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:54 am

That is shocking poor family. No lights and no helmet in the early dark hours of the morning... why oh why do people do this...
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby Sydguy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 pm

Hardly shocked by this accident, given the information in the article. Still very sad for all involved, and we will never hear the cyclists side of the story.

Interesting to read the last few paragraphs with all the people falling off their bikes, can everyone please focus and stay upright. Three people in one morning falling off and needing paramedics. More newspaper sampling or just a very bad morning for Melbourne?

:(
JM
Sydguy
 
Posts: 749
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:33 pm
Location: Sydney (Rhodes to City Commuter)

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby Oxford » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:06 pm


just found out, it was my wife's friend's cousin, she leaves behind two young kids.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 5150
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:34 pm

So sorry to hear that Ox. Please pass on my condolences. Hope the two kids are receiving lots of hugs atm.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:27 pm

http://www.facebook.com/QueenslandPolice?sk=wall

Update – Fatal traffic crash, Coombabah
FEBRUARY 11, 2012, 7:24 PM
A man who was critically injured in a traffic crash at Coombabah this morning has died in hospital.

The crash occurred just before 10am when a vehicle travelling north on Oxley Drive struck a power pole and continued across the median strip into the southbound lane where it collided with a cyclist.

The 26-year-old cyclist was transported to the Gold Coast Hospital, but later died as a result of his injuries.

Police are seeking anyone who may have witnessed the crash or a white Ford Falcon utility being driven along Oxley Drive prior to the crash to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
2012 Oppy A4
User avatar
KonaCommuter
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Brisbane Northside

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby find_bruce » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:48 pm

I hate it when this thread gets bumped back to the top. Twice in two days is awful. My heart goes out to the families missing loved ones today
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby RobM » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:54 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:http://www.facebook.com/QueenslandPolice?sk=wall

Update – Fatal traffic crash, Coombabah
FEBRUARY 11, 2012, 7:24 PM
A man who was critically injured in a traffic crash at Coombabah this morning has died in hospital.

The crash occurred just before 10am when a vehicle travelling north on Oxley Drive struck a power pole and continued across the median strip into the southbound lane where it collided with a cyclist.

The 26-year-old cyclist was transported to the Gold Coast Hospital, but later died as a result of his injuries.

Police are seeking anyone who may have witnessed the crash or a white Ford Falcon utility being driven along Oxley Drive prior to the crash to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.


Gee whiz. Car wasnt even on his side of the road. Feel very sorry for this guys family - my family fret whenever i ride and i can understand why. He was only a year younger than me. Too young to be lost like this :(
User avatar
RobM
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:47 pm
Location: Brisbane QLD

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby myforwik » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:50 pm

hosko wrote:Doesn't sound good.

No lights, no helmet and possibility that she "may" have been listening to music.

Sensory deprivation whilst not wearing protective gear. As they stated that she suffered a head injury, maybe a helmet might have her still breathing.

Very sad start to the day.


I can't believe what the police and that article have stated. If this was two cars, the officer would never have mouthed off about 'what they think'. When there is a motor vehicle death they dont even tell you the basics, but in this article they proceed to tell you who had what light and even went so far as to say he wasn't speeding! unbelievable.

I get the impression that once she didn't have a helmet they don't really care - must have been cyclists fault. They mention she had headphones. Wow. Why not mention that the driver owns a mobile phone and a car stereo?

The article really highlights the latent bias people have against cyclists. I have no doupt that such bias spreds all the way through the investigation.
myforwik
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:08 pm

[WA] Cottesloe, Male 8/3/12

Postby CommuRider » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:06 am

Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:11 am

that should be a life sentence as far as i'm concerned. anyone who willingly puts others lives at risk like that should be put away forever.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8790
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby zero » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 am

It looks like a 100km/hr rear ender in a 60 zone, on a road marked up with cycle lanes, that is adjacent and parallel to a highway designed for such speeds.

He's been charged with the offence that carries a 20 year max sentence, this is one of the times where I think the judge should start looking at the upper end of that punishment range seriously.
zero
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby Livetoride » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Absolute scum bag, 20 years, sod that, put him in a mental home for the criminally deranged for the rest of his life, he was speeding, didn't stop, fled the scene and was under the influence... His parents should be done also, obviously some parents don't educate their kids on right and wrong. This really gets my goat..
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit