Who should I write to for funding/donations?

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Who should I write to for funding/donations?

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:44 pm

I live at a small college in Sydney's west. We had a string of bicycle thefts in the last 12 months - mostly bicycles which were not properly secured and taken by opportunistic by-passing thieves. We've never had a proper bicycle parking facility, aside from a metal rail along one wall which isn't enough and a couple of hooks on the wall.

I'm negotiating with the grounds manager about getting some sort of bicycle parking facility put in - something in the order of say 8 U-rails in a concrete slab with a roof to keep the rain off and maybe some solar-charged LED lights to light them up at night.

Are there any groups which I can go to in order to apply for funding or donations for some of the hardware? I'm thinking the U-rails at least, since the roof can be 4 posts and some corrugated iron sheet.

One of our country students suggested getting a bike shed from a closed down school, but there probably hasn't been a bike shed in the Sydney metropolitan region since the 80's.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

by BNA » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:10 am

BNA

Re: Who should I write to for funding/donations?

Postby CommuRider » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:10 am

1. Your college as general amenities

2. Council if the racks are going to be on public land.

I think 1 is more compelling though- should be part of student services etc. City of Sydney has provided funding for local schools and bike parking.

I think funders will find it hard to fund something on private land and which technically is a college responsibility.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Re: Who should I write to for funding/donations?

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:23 pm

If you can (in a friendly manner) petition them - and deliver a heap of signatures, this will make the paper harder to screw up and toss in the rubbish.

I suggest an aim of the letter is to present the proposal and ask for a meeting - once you get face to face it will be much easier and quicker to sell than by writing.

Cheers
Christopher
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy