A Public Service Announcement to Clear up Confusion

uncle arthur

A Public Service Announcement to Clear up Confusion

Postby uncle arthur » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 am

Just claim the lane. Don't ask questions. Don't post here asking if we think it's right.

It is. Do it.

What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

greyhoundtom

Re: A Public Service Announcement to Clear up Confusion

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Absolutely ............. right on the mark!

Especially when you are riding in a one lane each way 100 km per hour zone.

Even when you are riding at 17 km per hour going up a steep hill in a single lane with double lines in the middle of the road.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :roll:

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Is this a joke?
And why is this "Cycling Safety" message posted in General Discussion instead of CyclingSafety and Advocacy?

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:58 pm

Is this a troll post? :roll: :shock: :shock:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:07 pm

I can see where the confusion comes from.

I don't think it's appropriate to claim the lane unilaterally in every situation. I think it's important for all road users to be courteous. I will claim the lane if it improves my safety. Doing so clears up any confusion that might otherwise exist about my intended actions, but I won't do it just because I can. If I can safely ride on the left to allow other vehicles to pass, I will.

The confusion here exists in the decision making; "should I be claiming the lane now?", "I should have claimed the lane.", "yes, I am traffic and have a right to be here (in the middle of the lane), but I could safely be riding over on the left so that the vehicle behind me can safely overtake me, so should I?"

That's why we'll continue to have these discussions.

Anecdotally, we could probably be a little more assertive in this regard, but I don't want to be a prick about it.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:08 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:I can see where the confusion comes from.

I don't think it's appropriate to claim the lane unilaterally in every situation. I think it's important for all road users to be courteous. I will claim the lane if it improves my safety. Doing so clears up any confusion that might otherwise exist about my intended actions, but I won't do it just because I can. If I can safely ride on the left to allow other vehicles to pass, I will.

The confusion here exists in the decision making; "should I be claiming the lane now?", "I should have claimed the lane.", "yes, I am traffic and have a right to be here (in the middle of the lane), but I could safely be riding over on the left so that the vehicle behind me can safely overtake me, so should I?"

That's why we'll continue to have these discussions.

Anecdotally, we could probably be a little more assertive in this regard, but I don't want to be a prick about it.
We also have these discussions as there is unilateral confusion as to what the law actually states.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:54 pm

& I'm confused cause the image shows the cyclist claiming the wrong lane. Lucky that the van was also on on the wrong side

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:17 pm

I thought the cycle lane was the bit in the middle, between those two yellow lines??

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:47 pm

DaveOZ wrote:I thought the cycle lane was the bit in the middle, between those two yellow lines??

:lol:
2012 Oppy A4

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:00 pm

DaveOZ wrote:I thought the cycle lane was the bit in the middle, between those two yellow lines??
No, that is the moto lane.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:08 pm

Can I claim the lane on my carbon bike?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:21 pm

sumgy wrote:
WestcoastPete wrote:We also have these discussions as there is unilateral confusion as to what the law actually states.
On single-lane roads (ie. one lane each way) keep as far left as practicable - your interpretation of what constitutes impracticable.

On multi-lane roads, no such requirement ie. you may claim lane-space as you see fit. And it may be any lane (except keep to the left lane on roads with >80kmh speed limits in Victoria).

Pretty simple really, but drivers just can't seem to get their head around it. It's in the road rules even :shock:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:15 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:I can see where the confusion comes from.

+1

Pragmatism works for me. I ride to be safe, which means riding within the rules (I do stop at red lights) but it doesn't mean doing something just because I can. Sometimes it's best just to get out of the way, sometimes you have to claim a lane so there's no mistake you are there and should be given space.

I don't ride in the gutter if it's full of crap, because that would be dangerous as well as inconvenient. I don't ride in the door zone, mostly. Sometimes you have to make a judgement, door zone or B double, and if in doubt go really slowly or stop. Sometimes your rights are tradeable if it means staying physically intact.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:01 am

il padrone wrote:
sumgy wrote:We also have these discussions as there is unilateral confusion as to what the law actually states.[/quote}
On single-lane roads (ie. one lane each way) keep as far left as practicable - your interpretation of what constitutes impracticable.

On multi-lane roads, no such requirement ie. you may claim lane-space as you see fit. And it may be any lane (except keep to the left lane on roads with >80kmh speed limits in Victoria).

Pretty simple really, but drivers just can't seem to get their head around it. It's in the road rules even :shock:
Not getting into an argument with you but this is exactly what I mean by unilateral confusion on what the law actually states.
I know what you believe they state but that is not how I (or others I have spoken to) read it.

Again, why is this thread here?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:39 am

sumgy wrote:I know what you believe they state but that is not how I (or others I have spoken to) read it.
Pragmatism, of course. The law states what you are required to do, not what is good manners to do. However, sumgy you need to read your road rules more thoroughly. Here in Victoria even the Police have stated publicly on the news that cyclists are entitled to use a full lane if they need to do so for any reason.
129 Keeping to the far left side of a road
(1) A driver on a road (except a multi-lane road) must drive as near as practicable to the far left side of the road.
Note: driver includes cyclist
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."