Incident Categories

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Incident Categories

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:55 pm

I was contacted by a business who are creating an app where cyclists can report incidents. It is a shootoff from an existing app for a different audience and I have been asked - which incidents would cyclists report.

The purpose of the app is to document incidents so that they can resolved or acted upon. Not aimed at an emergency replacement, though could range from reporting accidents as a form of documentation - blackspots, to obstacles or problems with cycling routes. Perhaps there are more ideas, so what type of incidents do you think make sense? I am certain the business will make it worthwhile by offering a few copies to members with the best answers when they launch.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

by BNA » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:00 pm

BNA

Re: Incident Categories

Postby Sydguy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:00 pm

Bike theft would be a good start.

JM
Sydguy

Postby CommuRider » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:04 pm

I would support this app. I think the sub-forum already has a lot of categories the app ought to cover.

Eg 1. Dooring - injured or not
2. Threatening driving behaviour around schools (my experience here - happy to alert other riders about potential psycho school mums who think their car is a weapon in my area)
3. Deliberate obstacles placed on paths eg broken glass, strings across the cycleway
4. Cycle paths that have motorised users
5. Cycle paths that have lots of inexperienced cyclists and kiddies on trainers - less of an incident but clearly a watch-out for possible incidents ie slow down in this area.
6. On the roads - where a cyclist has had something thrown at them
7. Serious incidents on roads requiring police reports
8. Places where cyclists have been hit requiring hospitalisation
9. Places where deaths have occured that formally appeared in the news eg police media releases

I have just realised the list is endless.

So to the app developer - go for it. The cyclists on here are a high-tech, nerdy bunch and can provide you adequate feedback. Glad the developer is taking this initiative instead of, ahem, our Bicycling orgs.
Last edited by CommuRider on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Sydguy wrote:Bike theft would be a good start.

JM

That could be another app. I am sure the SMH reviewed a website which documented thefts around Sydney that users uploaded. I think it first started in London, and someone copied it here. Could have even read it on the forums.

Another thought, if this app goes ahead, the aggregated data can be shown to Roads Authority or Local Councils as evidence to increase signage or show them cyclists are using this area now, upgrade facilities etc.
CommuRider

Postby csy75 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:26 am

Near miss, road rage, doorung.
But who holds the data, where is it on sold to?

And of course you need an option to report a barista, for badly made coffee...a must have
csy75

Postby CommuRider » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:57 am

:lol: or where a reliable LBS can be found...and how close you are to the police station.
CommuRider

Postby gururug » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:27 am

csy75 wrote:badly made coffee...a must have
LOL

"Danger Zone" and beep to alert. i.e. Blind corner onto bike path. There is no point having such an app if it cannot feed this info back to a rider realtime somehow.
gururug

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:05 am

csy75 wrote:And of course you need an option to report a barista, for badly made coffee...a must have

+1

Normal food has a flavour scale of 1 to 10. Coffee is -5 to 12. Bad coffee sends you backwards...

Baristas often ask if I want sugar. My standard response is 'depends how well you make it'

As for the op, interesting idea but data ownership/management/use is a concern to me.
Ozkaban

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:53 pm

Ozkaban wrote:Baristas often ask if I want sugar. My standard response is 'depends how well you make it'

8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy