CyclingWA, Bicycling WA and Bicycle Transport Alliance unite

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: CyclingWA, Bicycling WA and Bicycle Transport Alliance u

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:43 pm

find_bruce wrote:Oh & Andrew, in light of some of the comments from Cyclist fights back, videos close calls on WA roads you may be needing to deal with some deliberate driver behaviour. Stay safe.

Thanks for your concern. I rode this morning without any dramas; well one car decided to back out on to the road without consideration but nothing too serious; just simply a failure to properly look.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:29 pm

BNA

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:29 pm

Oxford wrote:citywomble, there's a big difference between the risk of being passed by a motor vehicle and accepting the risk of passing motor vehicle. the defining situation is who is passing whom and as a result who is creating the greater risk. the risk created when a cyclist passes a near stationary or stationary motor vehicle is minor and certainly not life threatening to the motorist. the opposite is not true as we all know from video we see featured all the time and experience..

This is in my view a key point. There seems to be the trend to assume the risk to others by a cyclists is equal to a motor vehicle. It clearly isn't. This also applies to pedestrians. Approximately 180 pedestrians (I haven't checked the very latest data) where killed in Australia in the past 12 months. I believe a study of coroner's finding found that the at fault rate attributed to pedestrian was around 80%, so potentially 144 of those deaths where the fault of the pedestrian, yet there is strong focus on cyclists as being the issue ... cyclists are not killing people .. the statistics clearly show this. Motorist are killing people and if the data is correct, pedestrians are killing themselves. In the same period around 35 cyclists where killed.

I am not saying that they shouldn't ride safely and in a considerate manner around pedestrians and motorists, but some more informed and reasoned discussion is need I think.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Oxford » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:31 am

find_bruce wrote:....
Jake of Perth wrote:... I have to put up with cyclist riding all over the road disobeying laws, abusing other motorist for just driving past. ... I was on Jutland parade when I saw a trades man trying to pass cyclist which cut him off and proceeded to verbally and fiscally abuse the driver ...

interesting, was this trades person the state or federal treasurer I wonder? applying fiscal abuse implies they were abusing them through budgetary measures. maybe "Jake of Perth" means physical? got to love the high educational standards of Australia.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby find_bruce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Jake of Perth wrote:... I have to put up with cyclist riding all over the road disobeying laws, abusing other motorist for just driving past. ... I was on Jutland parade when I saw a trades man trying to pass cyclist which cut him off and proceeded to verbally and fiscally abuse the driver ...

Oxford wrote:interesting, was this trades person the state or federal treasurer I wonder? applying fiscal abuse implies they were abusing them through budgetary measures. maybe "Jake of Perth" means physical? got to love the high educational standards of Australia.

I would completely understand if English was his second (or 3rd etc) language, after all my french & german grammer are pretty lousy. But I put the quote in because, like you, I suspect he is our very own "get a brain moran"
find_bruce

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 pm

I have been given a copy of the related Channel 10 story from Sunday night. I have converted it over to format that would allow me to upload it to YouTube (hence the watermark). You can find it below.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0_o31Tfp4&hd=1[/youtube]

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Oxford » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:00 am

find_bruce wrote:

Oxford wrote:interesting, was this trades person the state or federal treasurer I wonder? applying fiscal abuse implies they were abusing them through budgetary measures. maybe "Jake of Perth" means physical? got to love the high educational standards of Australia.

I would completely understand if English was his second (or 3rd etc) language, after all my french & german grammer are pretty lousy. But I put the quote in because, like you, I suspect he is our very own "get a brain moran"

lol, haven't seen that one before. really demeans the message when they cannot get the basics right.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby blkmcs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:06 am

Oxford wrote:...
lol, haven't seen that one before. really demeans the message when they cannot get the basics right.

If the message was aimed at a notorious Melbourne family then the basics could well be right. :lol:
Too old to live, too slow to die.
blkmcs

Previous

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy