Super Tuesday!

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Super Tuesday!

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:18 am

Super Tuesday Bike Count on Tuesday 6th March 2012, from 7am-9am.
http://www.bv.com.au/general/bike-futures/93606/

Did anyone know about this? Couldn't see a thread on this which is a little surprising considering the quality of the forum.

I saw 3 orange shirts surveying this morning, gave them a nice wave and a smile. I stopped to chat to one and she explained to me what they are doing. I ended up being counted 12 times as I did 100km up and down the Fernleigh Track this morning.

What: Super Tuesday - Australia’s largest ever visual bike count
When: 7 – 9am Tomorrow - Tuesday 6th March 2012
Where: All across Australia – metropolitan, suburban and regional areas

Why: Local Government is increasingly realising the importance of good data on bike rider patterns. This data is crucial for planning infrastructure improvements that deliver benefits to riders in a cost efficient manner.

Due to the significant increase of transportation on bicycle, the count collects data about bike riding in a bid to help local councils identify how and where bicycle networking facilities can be improved.

How: Volunteers at major road and path intersections, bike paths and other vantage points will be counting riders commuting to work.

1222 locations Australia-wide:
701 locations in VIC
249 locations in NSW
183 locations in WA
46 locations in ACT
43 locations in SA

The first Super Tuesday bike count took place in 2007 counting the inner-city Melbourne area, as it did in 2008. In 2009 the count spread to regional Victoria and the City of Sydney, going national in 2010 and 2011.

Bicycle Network’s Bike Futures Manager, Mr Mike Williamson said the importance of these counts is imperative to better council planning and reducing congestion.

“Good data on rider patterns are critical for planning infrastructure improvements,” said Mr Williamson.

“The difference with our data collection is that it allows councils to see exactly where people are riding.”
Trek Madone 5.5 - 2009
Epic Expert 29er - 2012
Jake

by BNA » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:11 am

BNA

Re: Super Tuesday!

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:11 am

We did one in October up here I think, but that's Build Up time (hot and steamy) so there are less cyclists.

We'll be doing another one in The Dry later in the year.
WestcoastPete

Postby blossy84 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:15 pm

I did the count this morning and was on the corner of Station Street and Salvado Road in Subiaco. I ride through this intersection all the time, but sitting there and watching it for 2 hours I realised just how busy it gets. Great to see so many people out on their bikes (but a few too many run the red light though).
i love my bike(s)

blossy84

Postby newie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:20 pm

I got counted about half a dozen times this morning in Newcastle - on my longer ride to work. Being a lovely morning it seemed to me there were more people out on bikes than usual - good that the data will be collected on a busy day, if it does have any influence on planning.
newie

Postby find_bruce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:37 pm

I'm glad they got to count on the second sunny day in row - just about a record for Sydney this summer. Numbers would have been way down if they had counted some days last week.
find_bruce

Postby rolandp » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:43 pm

I got counted 9 times on my commute into Perth. The downside is that it was a public holiday yesterday here so numbers may be down.
rolandp

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:40 am

blossy84 wrote:I did the count this morning and was on the corner of Station Street and Salvado Road in Subiaco. I ride through this intersection all the time, but sitting there and watching it for 2 hours I realised just how busy it gets. Great to see so many people out on their bikes (but a few too many run the red light though).

Do you count bicycles going away from the city as well? Just curious.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby trailgumby » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:08 pm

Huge bike traffic yesterday from Mosman through to Kirribilli. Queues to get up the steps/ramps at the northen end of The Coathanger. :D
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Aushiker wrote:
blossy84 wrote:I did the count this morning and was on the corner of Station Street and Salvado Road in Subiaco. I ride through this intersection all the time, but sitting there and watching it for 2 hours I realised just how busy it gets. Great to see so many people out on their bikes (but a few too many run the red light though).

Andrew

The count sheet is a birds eye diagram of the intersection and you mark where the cyclist enters and exits the intersection.
WestcoastPete

Postby blossy84 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:59 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew

The count sheet is a birds eye diagram of the intersection and you mark where the cyclist enters and exits the intersection.

Exactly what he said. So the intersection I did I had 3 streets (station street going north and station street going south - the dog leg - and salvado road). You mark each rider that comes through the intersection a what street they entered on what street they exited on. Hope that makes sense.
i love my bike(s)

blossy84

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:39 pm

I always wondered a lttle if or how I am recorded. Ped? Half a tick in the cycle box? Just a regular cyclist? Are there any poll people here who would care to suggest how you would have done it.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby blossy84 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:11 pm

I would have ticked you as a cyclist. Why not?
i love my bike(s)

blossy84

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks for explaining how the counting works. Interesting.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby blossy84 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Sorry Andrew I lied, by accident... the intersection I had really had 4 streets. Salvado road was counted as 2 (west of the lights and east of the lights). So even if you were travelling and continuing on Salvado - it was marked in which direction you were travelling so you got counted from the city and to the city.
i love my bike(s)

blossy84

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy