Another fatality, unfortunately

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Another fatality, unfortunately

Postby iMad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:07 am

EDIT: Link to incorrect story deleted by thread starter. I have searched for the story and it seems it doesn't exist. That's the quality of news broadcasting we get from TV Channels these days.

I find the Supt's comments interesting in light of the accident.
From the report the collision was the result of the cyclist overtaking a parked vehicle whilst at the same time the van driver was changing lanes. It occurred at around 4.30am in the dark.
This to me sounds as though it might have been an unfortunate accident rather than poor attitude from the van driver (admittedly I don't know the full details).
I would suggest that almost all collisions involving cyclists are the result of error rather than poor attitude. A lapse of concentration by a driver on city roads, even briefly, can have catastrophic consequences.

The problem is there is simply no margin for error on metropolitan road systems. A motorist losing momentary concentration and deviating by one metre or less can result in serious injury or death for a cyclist.
The same error involving another vehicle results in minor damage to the vehicles involved.

We can attempt to change peoples (motorists) attitudes till the cows come home, but that won't change the fact that we all make errors and have momentary lapses in concentration from time to time.
Unfortunately in cities, there is no margin for error by the motorist when it comes to the safety of the cyclist.
I have no idea what the answer to this dilemma is in busy urban areas but at least on all other roads we should be lobbying to get a margin for error included by way of a dedicated cycle lane.
Last edited by iMad on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
There are only two types of cyclist.
Those that have crashed and those that are about to.
iMad

by BNA » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 am

BNA

Re: Another fatality, unfortunately

Postby briztoon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 am

Not to take away from such a tragic event, but this occurred over 6 months ago. For me I was staggered to think that 176 people had been killed on Vic roads in the first two months of the year.

18:37 AEDT Sat Jul 23 2011
briztoon

Postby iMad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:25 am

briztoon wrote:Not to take away from such a tragic event, but this occurred over 6 months ago. For me I was staggered to think that 176 people had been killed on Vic roads in the first two months of the year.

18:37 AEDT Sat Jul 23 2011

Just goes to show, WIN television (QLD) ran this news item this morning. What on earth are they doing?
I apologise if raising the issue again caused any problems.

Then again, I might have Googled the wrong incident. Sorry.
iMad

Postby Addictr3 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:30 am

even though it happen so long ago, it brings a valid point to the table; the slighest lapse in concentration can cause catastrophic injuries to a cyclist.

The thing that I dont like about the article is how they say the Van driver had no injuries, well no sh*t he was in a van..
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
Addictr3

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:30 am

It's hard to work out the exact sequence of event, but I have long wondered what's the legal standing and rule for bikes riding in a lane with parked cars. To drivers, it's common to assume that a lane occupied by parked cars is a lane without active traffic. Even if one looked before changing into the lane with parked cars, it's often hard to see a moving bike amongst all the parked cars. As a rider, I have always been extremely cautious when passing parked cars to both opening car doors (on the left) as well as cars that merge into the kerb lane (from the right).
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby iMad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:42 am

I'm extremely embarrassed about posting this.
My wife was watching the Morning Show on WIN this morning when the news reported this incident.
Being cycling related it immediately caught my attention.
They said the cyclist had been killed this morning at 4.30am and showed a white van with a broken windscreen.
It's long been obvious that WIN Television are an appalling TV Network but to be running 7 month old news as current is beyond the pale.
iMad

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:46 am

iMad wrote:It's long been obvious that WIN Television are an appalling TV Network but to be running 7 month old news as current is beyond the pale.

was on the front page of theage this morning

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycli ... 1uf8i.html
jasonc

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:47 am

I think they must have been confused with this story:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycli ... 1uf8i.html

I can see the confusion - van, cyclist, parked car, time (although 12hrs out).

Let's hope this fella pulls through...
WestcoastPete

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:09 pm

Not parked:

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said it was believed the cyclist had been travelling west along Blyth Street when he crashed with the van, which was travelling south along Sydney Road.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby birdbrain » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:26 pm

I hope this guy pulls through. Thoughts are with his family.

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more-ne ... swick.html
birdbrain

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 pm

On google maps Blyth street is a T intersection with Sydney Rd

The Key point in the report in the age is the time (4.30am). That’d be dark time with little traffic.

I do hope that the cyclist pulls through OK
2012 Oppy A4
KonaCommuter

Postby jules21 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:18 pm

this is on my patch. i can suggest 2 possible causes:
1. cyclist ran red light through Blyth St and onto Sydney Rd, across the path of motorist who was proceeding through green light.
2. cyclist performed same manouvre through a green light.

either scenario is feasible. for some reason, sydney road seems to be frequented by drivers who routinely just drive through red lights. it's not just accidental either, some of them clearly have no regard for traffic lights.
jules21

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:07 pm

jules21 wrote:this is on my patch. i can suggest 2 possible causes:
1. cyclist ran red light through Blyth St and onto Sydney Rd, across the path of motorist who was proceeding through green light.
2. cyclist performed same manouvre through a green light.

either scenario is feasible. for some reason, sydney road seems to be frequented by drivers who routinely just drive through red lights. it's not just accidental either, some of them clearly have no regard for traffic lights.

And I'm sure, if that is what happened and the red light running was deliberate, that party thought "its 4:30am, there's nobody about, its safe to run this red light".
InTheWoods

Postby jules21 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Inwood wrote:And I'm sure, if that is what happened and the red light running was deliberate, that party thought "its 4:30am, there's nobody about, its safe to run this red light".

possibly, but i've seen drivers run lights in busy traffic. sydney road is a cruise strip where young guys in lowered commodores try to impress people with their hectic driving skills. there's also a demographic who are not specifically hoons but just don't take the (road) rules seriously.
jules21

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:20 pm

Not wanting to sound smart but rolling with a camera recording would have been of great help.
2012 Oppy A4
KonaCommuter

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy