Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

doored and down $122

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:51 pm

newbikeorupgrade

by BNA » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:58 am

BNA

Re: doored and down $122

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:58 am

I think we'll all be better off once petrol hits 5 bucks a litre and the injury insurance burden is forced onto drivers personally. A year lost income? Take it away from the driver. If that seems harsh, maybe you haven't spent 12 months in hospital due to the stupidity of another person before :shock:

Accidents do happen, and they are tragic, but we need to recognise that some accidents are entirely preventable without any significant effort.

The more I see articles like this, the more I realise that drivers don't understand they get less and less respect from riders - you can't keep to the hard left AND avoid the door zone at the same time. :idea:
Xplora

Postby petie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:04 pm

I hate reading the comments under articles like this. Good on Mr Tivendale for getting back into it. Too many people (and justifiably so) take a hit like this and just stay down, stuck in a useless body.

It's a pity there are people out there without the perspective to appreciate others choices. It appears there are even cyclists without that perspective if the comments are anything to go by. :shock:

The road isn't a car only environment. There are pedestrians, all manner of motorised vehicles, animals, potholes, rocks, rubbish etc. Yet all the comments suggest that bikes should get off the road because it's dangerous with all the cars. Does that mean no pedestrian crossings either? Or slow moving trucks and buses? I think bikes have every right to safe passage on the road, unless the councils/goverments start providing dedicated bike only, car only, pedestrian only and bus/truck only roads that have big fences and cameras to fine all those criminals who picked the wrong damn road :lol:
petie

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:36 pm

I read all the comments. I don’t know why I subject myself to the frustration :cry:

EDIT TO ADD

The comments section of papers should use Facebook so people don’t cowardly hide behind made up names. Yeah, I know that we’re all on here not using our real names :P
2012 Oppy A4
KonaCommuter

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:03 pm

petie wrote:It appears there are even cyclists without that perspective if the comments are anything to go by. :shock

I'd like to read these "cyclists" logbooks. I'll lay odds that their vision of cycling does not include transport.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy