Summary of Australian Road Rules for Cyclists

fat and old

Re: Summary of Australian Road Rules for Cyclists

Postby fat and old » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:35 am

il padrone wrote: like this notorious one on Southbank, Melbourne.

All right, I built that!!! 8) :lol:

The problem with that crossing is twofold

1. The natural flow of the Southbank path actually puts you on the cycle crossing section.

2. The painted section cries out "correct place to cross".

I've been lobbying COM to have the ped section painted or at least criscrossed with hatching to highlite it's existence for years now. :?

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:05 am

I have a question about using and not using bike lanes in the Sydney CBD

I'm an occasional rider in the CBD coming in from the eastern suburbs. It often happens that I find myself suddenly on the left hand lane of a road I've turned into and realise there is a bike lane over on the right across a lane of on coming traffic.

Some times the entry to bike lanes don't appear to be accessible when turning right as they are across the flow of traffic.

What is the sketch both legally and practically plus does anyone have any experience with police enforcement since the fines increased and police went all revenue generating :/
NOT sent from tapatalk

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:04 am

What makes you think it is a bike lane ? A bicycle lane is defined in NSW Road Rule 153 as beginning at a bicycle lane sign applying to the lane, or a road marking comprising both a white bicycle symbol and the word lane painted in white. This is the bicycle lane sign

As far as I am aware, none of the "cycleways" in the Sydney CBD are bicycle lanes in that they do not have signs or markings with the bicycle symbol & the word "lane". To the extent that they have signs and /or road markings, they have the bicycle symbol and the word only - this makes them a bicycle path as defined in NSW Road Rule 239.

The offence under NSW Road Rule 247 is
The rider of a bicycle riding on a length of road with a bicycle lane designed for bicycles travelling in the same direction as the rider must ride in the bicycle lane unless it is impracticable to do so.

Note. Rule 153 defines a bicycle lane and deals with the use of bicycle lanes by other vehicles.
Two things (1) it must be a lane as defined in rule 153, which a path as defined in rule 247 is not. (2) it would appear to me that you are obliged to keep to the left of the centre line unless there is a place in which it is both safe and legal for a cyclist to cross.

The distinction between a bicycle lane and a bicycle path is one of importance, not just for use by bicycles, but by motor vehicles. A motor vehicle can drive in a bicycle lane for up to 50m & can stop or park in the bicycle lane if otherwise permitted. It is not permitted to drive on or park on a bicycle path.

Usual disclaimer applies: If you want legal advice, go to a lawyer. Don't rely on advice from some semi-anonymous poster on the interwebs.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:47 am

Yeah, signage determines whether it is a legal bike lane, not general appearance, nor the opinion of some motorist (even be he a NSW Police officer).

Also practicability is important. It is a key part of the road law. You had already turned onto the road to travel along it, and discovered a bike lane on the other side of the (busy) road. By any reasonable interpretation, this may make its use impracticable for you.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

All Buns Glazing

Postby All Buns Glazing » Thu May 25, 2017 1:05 am

Update on WA's cycling laws, permitting bicycles to travel on all footpaths. I looked over the thread, don't think it's here yet.

Shared paths and footpaths
There are some special rules for the use of shared paths and footpaths in WA.
Shared paths and footpaths are paths that are designated for shared use by cyclists and pedestrians.

These rules include:
* All cyclists, regardless of their age, may ride on any footpath unless a ‘no bicycles sign’ has been erected.
* Riders must keep left on shared paths and footpaths unless overtaking.
* Riders must give way to pedestrians at all times (pedestrians include people walking, using motorised and nonmotorised wheelchairs, and people on rollerblades and skates).
* At shared path intersections, you must signal your intention to turn and give way to motor vehicles entering or exiting an intersecting road.
* Riders must travel in single file on all paths, though they can travel two abreast on a road.
* Riders must not ride carelessly or recklessly. Riding recklessly includes riding at a speed that places other riders and pedestrians at risk.
* Animals must not be tied to a moving bike.
* Riders 16 years of age and over are permitted to ride a compliant powerassisted pedal cycle (PAPC) on shared paths with the power engaged

Cite: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... ooklet.pdf

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu May 25, 2017 8:06 pm

Something I have wondered.

What exactly does "give way to pedestrians" mean?

Wait for them to get out of the way? Is ringing a bell to get them to move against this law?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Give way = slow down & if necessary stop to avoid a collision. Road rule 224 prohibits using a bell unless it is necessary "to warn other road users or animals of the approach or position of the vehicle"

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu May 25, 2017 10:20 pm

Has anyone noticed that right hand (usually front) brakes are virtually unusable in WA? The 'stopping' signal is required to be used when braking. I have no doubt that this rule is universally ignored by WA cyclists, particularly when a car fails to give way.

Cheers,

Cameron

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi all. My first post, and I thought I'd dive in:

find_bruce wrote:Give way = slow down & if necessary stop to avoid a collision. Road rule 224 prohibits using a bell unless it is necessary "to warn other road users or animals of the approach or position of the vehicle"

I don't think it prohibits ringing to let pedestrians know you're coming. Furthermore, the WA Safety Commission explicitly encourages it: https://www.rsc.wa.gov.au/Education-Pro ... s/Cyclists "Cyclists should use their bell to alert pedestrians/mobility scooter operators/motorised wheelchair users that a bicycle is approaching".

So in answer to the question above that, it's not against the law to ring to request them to get out of the way. But they're not obliged to get out of the way, so if they don't, the onus is on the cyclist to give way. (But 99% of pedestrians will happily move over).

Return to “Cycling Safety and Advocacy”