Popular Bike Shops
Join the Cycling Forums on Strava
Australian Cycling Forums on Strava
Latest Reviews and Articles
Will your next bike be Intelligent? ABS and Smart Bike Tech
Vitus Vitesse EVO Disc Review – Speed Machine indeed!
- Posts: 1752
- Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:25 pm
Apologies if there is a similar topic already - I have searched but did not find. Mods, please feel free to move this.
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread illustrating what not to when it comes to providing cycling treatments on our roads and paths.
I want to kick things off with this intersection at Burradoo, between Bowral and Mittagong NSW. Burradoo Road runs east-west and forms part of a quiet streets cycling route as publicised in Council's bicycle strategy of 2008 and the Best of Bowral and the Bong Bong Trail cycling brochure.
Unfortunately, some genius has installed the traffic island depicted in GSV and associated signage which has made it illegal for cyclists to proceed along the route without dismounting and becoming pedestrians. Aside from the fact that this is an undesirable element on any cycle route, crossing as a pedestrian is very unsafe as you have nowhere to go except on the road. The traffic island is blocked by signage so is no use.
What needs to be done is:
- Add a ‘bicycle excepted’ plate below the ‘all traffic must proceed left’ sign, making it legal for cyclists to continue straight through the intersection.
- Remove the ‘cyclists must dismount to cross’ sign as this sign will be ignored by cyclists and therefore serves no useful purpose.
- Narrow the traffic island to provide a short length of contra-flow bicycle lane, 1.5m wide, which allows cyclists to legally and safely enter the western leg of the intersection.
I have absolutely no idea how/why this occurred or how anyone could possibly have thought this was a suitable treatment for a cycle route. You have to wonder.
So, what other treatments have made you facepalm?
- il padrone
- Posts: 22931
- Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
- Location: Heading for home.
- General Australian Cycling Topics
- Info / announcements
- Buying a bike / parts
- General Cycling Discussion
- The Bike Shed
- Cycling Health
- Cycling Safety and Advocacy
- Women's Cycling
- Bike & Gear Reviews
- Cycling Trade
- Stolen Bikes
- Bicycle FAQs
- Serious Biking
- Audax / Randonneuring
- Retro biking
- Fixed Gear/ Single Speed
- Electric Bicycles
- Dragsters / Lowriders / Cruisers
- Children's Bikes
- Road Racing
- Road Biking
- Time Trial
- International and National Tours and Events
- Cycle Touring
- Touring Australia
- Touring Overseas
- Touring Bikes and Equipment
- Western Australia
- New South Wales
- South Australia
- Northern Territory
- Country & Regional
- The Market Place
- Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales
- Want to Buy, Group Buy, Swap
- My Bikes or Gear Elsewhere
- Cycling Brands
- Malvern Star
- Custom Builders
- Generic Carbon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users
About the Australian Cycling Forums
The largest cycling discussion forum in Australia for all things bike; from new riders to seasoned bike nuts, the Australian Cycling Forums are a welcoming community where you can ask questions and talk about the type of bikes and cycling topics you like.