National Ninja Day - Saturday Oct 6.

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: National Ninja Day - Saturday Oct 6.

Postby GraemeL » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:48 am

human909 wrote:You haven't answered the question. What is the big problem caused by cyclists running red lights? What is this similar tune?

I will continue to ignore red lights as a pedestrian and a cyclist when they are serving no safety purpose and there is no inconvenience caused by my actions to others. If running red lights is what causes motorists to be hostile to cyclists then they must damn well hate pedestrians! :mrgreen:

You are concentrating on an largely irrelevant issue to cycling safety that isn't going to get 'solved' by your campaign rather than focussing on the "real issues" (your words not mine!) in cycling safety. Furthermore you are reinforcing the idea that cyclists running red lights is a pressing problem that needs to be solved. That isn't good PR for cyclists.

Well we all might as well just ignore all laws, I mean after all there are some that I think are stupid and I am sure there are others who have their own ideas of stupid laws. Where would we be if we all took your attitude?

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL

by BNA » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:27 pm

BNA

Postby human909 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:27 pm

GraemeL wrote:Well we all might as well just ignore all laws

No. That is not the logical conclusion.

GraemeL wrote:I mean after all there are some that I think are stupid and I am sure there are others who have their own ideas of stupid laws. Where would we be if we all took your attitude?

Probably where we are today already! A likely improvement because I would consider myself more law abiding and socially responsible than the average citizen.

Do you really think that innocuous laws aren't being broken every second of everyday? In fact I'd be extremely surprised if you didn't break one weekly, if not daily. Be it driving or cycling. In fact there is a pretty good chance your bike, house, car and computer are all in breach of some law.

Our life is full of laws and full of minor innocuous breeches of them. If I walk against the red man when there is no, I don't see that as the thin end of the wedge to a rampant criminal. :wink: If you do, then you need a reality check.
human909

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:47 am

There was a Ninja out today, he must have been in training for the National Ninja Day.
The harder it is to see a ninja, the better they avoid the danger of being hit.

Let make it fun, here is a screengrab from my ride this morning, about 5:30am. Can you spot the Ninja?

(in reading back a bit, my ontopic post may be offtopic.... sorry if this post didn't offend you)
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hannos » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:51 am

AUbicycles wrote:There was a Ninja out today, he must have been in training for the National Ninja Day.
The harder it is to see a ninja, the better they avoid the danger of being hit.

Let make it fun, here is a screengrab from my ride this morning, about 5:30am. Can you spot the Ninja?

Yes. Hiding in the leaves near to top of the third tree on the right.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:56 am

I can see a shape there as well, but I think you'll find that's a drop bear.

The Ninja is the one in the black robe with a Samurai sword just to the left.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.
ZepinAtor

Postby hannos » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:05 am

Assuming straight ahead is North.

The ninja is NW of the light spot on the ground in front of Christopher
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:33 am

Ok, I sent the footage off to CSI, Horatio Caine reportedly said "Well I think we found our [sunnies on] Ninja".

Though the cyclist was completely dark with no lights, I spotted them late through their movement against the lighter sky... but my bike light (main beam angled down) didn't illuminate them at all. The cyclists top appears purple but this is just the effect of modifying the contrasts of the image.

I have no business tell them what they should or shouldn't do so kept my trap shut in passing but still have to shake my head because they don't make it easy for faster moving motorised traffic to spot them.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GraemeL » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:12 am

human909 wrote:
GraemeL wrote:Well we all might as well just ignore all laws

No. That is not the logical conclusion.

GraemeL wrote:I mean after all there are some that I think are stupid and I am sure there are others who have their own ideas of stupid laws. Where would we be if we all took your attitude?

Probably where we are today already! A likely improvement because I would consider myself more law abiding and socially responsible than the average citizen.

Do you really think that innocuous laws aren't being broken every second of everyday? In fact I'd be extremely surprised if you didn't break one weekly, if not daily. Be it driving or cycling. In fact there is a pretty good chance your bike, house, car and computer are all in breach of some law.

Our life is full of laws and full of minor innocuous breeches of them. If I walk against the red man when there is no, I don't see that as the thin end of the wedge to a rampant criminal. :wink: If you do, then you need a reality check.

I may break a rule every now and then, but it is not done intentionally, I am only human and as such we make mistakes.

How would we be if drivers decided that red lights were a waste of time?

We whine and bitch about drivers left hooking us, turning in front of us etc. But they are just people who think the laws are stupid and a waste of their time.

If we all please ourselves, where do we draw the line?

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL

Postby human909 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:37 am

GraemeL wrote:How would we be if drivers decided that red lights were a waste of time?

We whine and bitch about drivers left hooking us, turning in front of us etc. But they are just people who think the laws are stupid and a waste of their time.

So I'll repeat myself.

I would have no problem if drivers decided red lights were a waste of time. As previously stated if the law breaking is innocuous then I have no issue. I have never encouraged breaking laws to others detriment!
human909

Previous

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy