Cold feet.

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Cold feet.

Postby davidf140270 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Riding early morning here in chilly Canberra I'm still having problems with cold feet. I have shimano spd shoes with the raised soles so covers/booties seem not to go over them and I don't want to be fussing around at 05.30 am. I'm double socking with some excellent Kathmandu socks with another thin pair underneath. Most of the time it's just OK but we had a -5c morning here Tuesday morning with severe frosts and I thought my feet were going to fall off.

Any tips/hints would be greatly appreciated.
davidf140270

by BNA » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:48 pm

BNA

Re: Cold feet.

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Find some thicker neoprene booties, David. I've got a pair of Pros that can go over my Shimano MT42 SPDs. They work at 2 degrees, but I can see how Canberra is another league again! D :shock:
clackers

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:05 pm

davidf140270 wrote:Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Riding early morning here in chilly Canberra I'm still having problems with cold feet. I have shimano spd shoes with the raised soles so covers/booties seem not to go over them and I don't want to be fussing around at 05.30 am. I'm double socking with some excellent Kathmandu socks with another thin pair underneath. Most of the time it's just OK but we had a -5c morning here Tuesday morning with severe frosts and I thought my feet were going to fall off.

Any tips/hints would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know you are using for covers but I got wet suit cover like over boots that can even stretch over leather work boots (somewhat over stretched even though they fit same sized spd's nicely ).

BBB heavy duty

They did me fine in about 4c wet conditions

Other than that you could also go for water proof socks (like sealskinz or oxford windproof socks)

Next year I have plans to go touring down canberra way about this time so I will be interested to hear what works.
Do you have any suggestions on what sort of eye wear to use for protection from flying penguins during strong southerlies?
:D
GO!! Run!!! GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Cheesewheel

Postby davidf140270 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:18 pm

If you do come in Winter on a cold morning I wear ski goggles and a ski mask. Works a treat. Those shoe covers look great. Where did you get them from and how hard are they to get on?
davidf140270

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:24 pm

I had the same problem except I have both SPD and SPD-SL shoes, I use these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... overshoes/

They're fantastic, very easy and fast to put on/take off and completely block the wind (they were also good in a light shower but they wouldn't stop heavy rain). I ordered a size up because they were going on bulky MTB SPD shoes and they fit well, I've also used them on my SPD-SL road shoes and they fit but are a little too big, so order a size up if they're going over bulky MTB shoes but order the correct size if you're wearing sleek road shoes.
AndrewBurns

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:12 am

davidf140270 wrote:If you do come in Winter on a cold morning I wear ski goggles and a ski mask. Works a treat. Those shoe covers look great. Where did you get them from and how hard are they to get on?

I got them from wiggle. They are easy enough to use with a zip up the back heel and a velcro under strap. Practically all cycling shoes are vented from the sole (which are exposed by the cover boots) so the addition of windproof/waterproof socks might be called for
Cheesewheel

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:58 am

+1 on shoe covers like pictured above, takes me all of about 15secnds to put them on. Toasty warm feet down to about 5degrees, and I don't wear long pants while riding, only shorts. Don't keep my shoes 100% dry, but definitely keep enough water out that my feet haven't got wet yet while wearing them. The open underside lets a little water in.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:22 am

If enough of you think that lobbying Canberra for warmer feet is a good idea, let me know.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:24 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:If enough of you think that lobbying Canberra for warmer feet is a good idea, let me know.

I anticipate a "mandatory sock " thread
Cheesewheel

Postby ILMB » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:35 am

ILMB

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy