Victoria and dooring penalties.

DavidS

Re: Victoria and dooring penalties.

Postby DavidS » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:34 pm

human909 wrote:The more money they poor into Swanston st the worse it gets for cyclists.
Hmm, dunno, the recent changes have one big advantage: cars can no longer go all the way down Swanston St because of the tram stops (although I did see a taxi get stuck at the corner of Lt Lonsdale and Swanston today who seemed to be trying just that). I have noticed less cars and less parked vehicles since the new stops were put in. Now, if they want to get serious there should be no parking at all on Swanston St (and that includes the cop cars near Flinders Lane). It's a start, are they planning on doing anything to the sections where there is no tram stop or just leave them as is?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:56 am

DavidS wrote:Hmm, dunno, the recent changes have one big advantage: cars can no longer go all the way down Swanston St because of the tram stops
Personally I don't see that as an advantage. Cars were never a problem for me on Swanston St, I had no issues riding it at all. Now we have this strange psuedo bike lane/path that gives cyclists less space than they had before and with more obstacles.

That said the changes to Swanston St were motivated by much more than simply cycling safety, the main goal was not about developing a better route for cyclists it was about livening the heart of the CBD.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:31 am

i don't use swanston st as the lights are staged to make you stop at every single darned intersection. it takes 20 minutes* to get through it!

* this could be an exaggeration

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:35 am

jules21 wrote:* this could be an exaggeration
But not by much! I prefer Elizabeth meself when I'm headed that way. Not a fan of the new shared zone tramstops, nothing even remotely close yet but it'll only take one zoned out skullwire zombie...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:57 pm

The issue with Elizabeth is trying to get over the Yarra, I use Elizabeth St for a fair bit of the ride in the CBD but Swanston has improved. My problem with the cars in Swanston is that with the narrower road since they turned it into a pseudo mall years ago means that parked cars and the like push you too close to the tram tracks. The trams have no choice but a bit more space would be nice.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:05 pm

I'm just glad they're trying something.

Going North-South has always been a bit problematic in the CBD.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Mulger bill wrote:But not by much! I prefer Elizabeth meself when I'm headed that way. Not a fan of the new shared zone tramstops, nothing even remotely close yet but it'll only take one zoned out skullwire zombie...
yeah, i use Elizabeth when heading towards Fed square or Russell when heading north out of the city from Fed Square. it's crazy how they've 'tried' to make Swanston cycling-friendly, but made it so infuriatingly slow to navigate - there must be over 10 sets of lights. if you complain i'm sure they'll just throw their arms in the air and pretend that "you just can't please them!"

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:52 pm

DavidS wrote:My problem with the cars in Swanston is that with the narrower road since they turned it into a pseudo mall years ago means that parked cars and the like push you too close to the tram tracks. The trams have no choice but a bit more space would be nice.
I never had problems as I just rode in the right hand lane between the tram tracks. I would only enter the left if I wanted to pass a tram.
jules21 wrote:yeah, i use Elizabeth when heading towards Fed square or Russell when heading north out of the city from Fed Square. it's crazy how they've 'tried' to make Swanston cycling-friendly, but made it so infuriatingly slow to navigate - there must be over 10 sets of lights. if you complain i'm sure they'll just throw their arms in the air and pretend that "you just can't please them!"
I agree, though maybe a green wave would help here.

Its funny. If a poor piece of infrastructure is designed for cars or pedestrians then the infrastructure gets the blame. If poor infrastructure is designed for cyclists then it is the cyclists that cop the blame for not using it. :roll:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:59 pm

human909 wrote:I agree, though maybe a green wave would help here.
as a regular city rider, i've noticed that there are green waves set up on some routes through the city. the problem is, they're staged for motorists and end up catching cyclists at every light. on my morning commute, i can sometimes get a green wave through a couple of lights along Flinders St, but only by doing a pretty good impression of mark cavendish..

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:04 pm

jules21 wrote: i can sometimes get a green wave through a couple of lights along Flinders St, but only by doing a pretty good impression of mark cavendish..
what, sucking a wheel for the most part before popping out at the end for the win ? :D
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:28 pm

find_bruce wrote:what, sucking a wheel for the most part before popping out at the end for the win ? :D
no i meant whining endlessly about the lights not going my way on twitter :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:53 pm

find_bruce wrote:
jules21 wrote: i can sometimes get a green wave through a couple of lights along Flinders St, but only by doing a pretty good impression of mark cavendish..
what, sucking a wheel for the most part before popping out at the end for the win ? :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: Spat my Bourbon.

Thanks for the giggle Bruce, needed that :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:02 pm

I read Jules' reply & my 15 month boy tottered over to see what I was chuckling about.

Things have been a bit serious of late, definetly time to lighten up.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower