Interpretation, or Ignorance?

jules21

Re: Interpretation, or Ignorance?

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:20 pm

WarbyD wrote:No argument at all from me on any of this! I was just providing the previous as an example of why some motorists believe cyclists have a deathwish as it was one I witnessed just a couple hours ago and was still fresh :)
it's called 'confirmation bias' - when someone wants to justify to themselves their belief in something, they will filter samples which support their bias from a broad spectrum, i.e. discarding the wider range of other, non-supporting samples in that spectrum.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:12 pm

All that said I VERY frequently see cyclist change there line without mirrors and without head checking. Typical situation is parked cars. Though I've even seen cyclists doing it when riding in the should and crossing exiting slip lanes. This is simply suicidal behaviour.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:22 pm

human909 wrote:All that said I VERY frequently see cyclist change there line without mirrors and without head checking. Typical situation is parked cars. Though I've even seen cyclists doing it when riding in the should and crossing exiting slip lanes. This is simply suicidal behaviour.
agree that this is dangerous and common. i believe this is how the rider on Beach Rd was killed last year - a car had the same idea, going around a RH turner.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:21 pm

human, it doesn't hold that knowing the rules is less important than other priorities. You can't know everything, but there are a truckload of cyclist specific rules that won't be maintained by people failing to utilise them. If you don't know if the law will protect you in a certain situation, you're going to be a scaredy cat at the wrong time.

Moving towards the door zone to let cars past is an absolute no no, but knowing that you don't have to do it if it's not practicable empowers the rider. I own the whole lane in some spots, keep left in others... this is guided by the road rules, not my personal preference. Knowing my rights about roundabouts creates confidence.

You can't be blind to reality, but you are better off knowing and using the road rules to your advantage than simply being a victim of circumstance.

skull

Postby skull » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Don't worry I had my brother tell me about an incident with a car and a cyclist and his opinion during xmas lunch.

I just switched off.