Motorist dobs in motorist

BandedRail

Motorist dobs in motorist

Postby BandedRail » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:24 pm

From the Otago Daily Times: http:http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/24202 ... g-incident

Nice to see both the "slapper" and the driver were charged.

I was slapped by a passenger in a van a few months ago - even with "anger-assist" fully engaged I couldn't catch them (in my defence I was on a MTB going up a hill). I sort of got the plate - just can't remember if the last numbers were 942 or 492 (maybe my vision was obscured by the red mist :wink: ). If I ever see that van again... :evil:

I think "cycle slapping" is more serious than the offenders realise - a cyclist could easily swerve the wrong way and collide with the vehicle & maybe even end up going under rear wheel.

Aushiker

Re: Motorist dobs in motorist

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Hope you are feeling better and back on the bike, well you seem to be back on the bike so that is a good thing.

I have been slapped by a passenger wielding a dog ball throwing stick. I was lucky as the driver of the vehicle behind stopped and gave me her details. She was willing to act as a witness. As it was considered an assault offence I had to attend a police station and make a formal statement. End result was the boy apologised and was formally warned I believe. Hopefully a one-off ill-thought through teenage prank and the kid will be get on with life in a more positive manner.

Andrew

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:38 am

love one of the comments, ends with "maturity age of a lettuce seedling" :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:42 am

Just a month or two back, a cyclist in Ocean Grove, Vic was slapped like this. The cyclist fell and suffered a broken collar bone. The driver was eventually tracked down (I think a following driver got the rego) and the offending passenger is awaiting further court hearing.

This makes me wonder to what extent this NZ case is a copy-cat act.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:59 am

What, the slap or the nailing by Plod? :P
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

skull

Postby skull » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:05 am

il padrone wrote:
This makes me wonder to what extent this NZ case is a copy-cat act.

I wouldn't say cop-cat act it is just one of the many methods used by idiots in harassing cyclists.