Helmet standards and labels...

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Helmet standards and labels...

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:17 am

The current issue of Australian Motorcycle News carries an article which asserts that standards labels are not required on motorcycle helmets. I'm not sure if this argument carries through to bicycle helmets, but the article makes interesting reading just the same.

I suspect it does mean that bicycle helmets do not need to carry the standard labelling, as the law in question is the Competition and Consumer Act 2010, which does not seem to be specific to particular types of helmet. You can make your own mind.

Read it here.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

by BNA » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:34 am

BNA

Re: Helmet standards and labels...

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:34 am

Victorian Road Rules only specify that cyclists must "wear an approved bicycle helmet".

Approved bicycle helmet means:

approved bicycle helmet means a bicycle helmet of a type that is approved, for these Rules, by the Corporation by notice in the Government Gazette

I don't know how or where to track down the Government Gazette notice.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby high_tea » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:49 am

Well, the whole point of the article mentined by RonK is that the motorcycle helmet standard was amended to not require a sticker. Intriguing, but bicycle helmets fall under a different standard. It is said that AS-2063 requires a sticker. I don't know for sure, it isn't freely available that I can see (boo!). So I would conclude nothing about bicycle helmet wearing based on this article.

EDIT: the Qld RRs definition of "approved bicycle helmet" includes one complying with AS2063-1 and AS2063-2.
high_tea

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:55 am

Comment from the quoted article was:

This special certification mark (see example) was removed form the Trademarks Register and ceased to exist on 20th June 1991 after the Commonwealth made major changes to the old Standards Association of Australia

This reads to me like general changes to all standards labeling rather than specific to motorbike helmets. The certification mark referred to is very much the same as the bicycle helmet label.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby high_tea » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:13 am

il padrone wrote:Comment from the quoted article was:

This special certification mark (see example) was removed form the Trademarks Register and ceased to exist on 20th June 1991 after the Commonwealth made major changes to the old Standards Association of Australia

This reads to me like general changes to all standards labeling rather than specific to motorbike helmets. The certification mark referred to is very much the same as the bicycle helmet label.

No, it's about changes to AS1698, specifically clause 8(g), so the article says. AS2063 is a whole nother thing. The trademark issue is a red herring. Either the standard requires it or it doesn't.
high_tea

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:51 am

That's not the way I read it. So be it.
il padrone

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 am

high_tea wrote:Well, the whole point of the article mentined by RonK is that the motorcycle helmet standard was amended to not require a sticker. Intriguing, but bicycle helmets fall under a different standard. It is said that AS-2063 requires a sticker. I don't know for sure, it isn't freely available that I can see (boo!). So I would conclude nothing about bicycle helmet wearing based on this article.

EDIT: the Qld RRs definition of "approved bicycle helmet" includes one complying with AS2063-1 and AS2063-2.

Yes, quite right there is a different standard for bicycle helmets. But a reading of the mandatory standards page of the Australian Consumer & Competion Commission's Product Safety Australia website for bicycle helmets, there seems to be no requirement for a marking stating that the helmet complies with the standard.
RonK

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:52 pm

i suspect what they've changed is the requirement for the label to conform with the trademark Australian Standards logo and label format. my Limar helmet has a label stating that it is certified to AS 2063, but it is a plain label and does not include the AS symbol - as older helmets used to have.

it could be that they've removed the requirement within the standard for a label to be affixed - really, this is something you'd anticipate a helmet supplier would do voluntarily.
jules21

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:58 pm

My newly purchase Specialized helmet has the typical AS certified label, with the five ticks, affixed. Mind you it clearly says DO NOT REMOVE however it is peeling off and would not take much for me to remove completely :roll:
il padrone

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:22 pm

RonK wrote:
high_tea wrote:Well, the whole point of the article mentined by RonK is that the motorcycle helmet standard was amended to not require a sticker. Intriguing, but bicycle helmets fall under a different standard. It is said that AS-2063 requires a sticker. I don't know for sure, it isn't freely available that I can see (boo!). So I would conclude nothing about bicycle helmet wearing based on this article.

Yes, quite right there is a different standard for bicycle helmets. But a reading of the mandatory standards page of the Australian Consumer & Competion Commission's Product Safety Australia website for bicycle helmets, there seems to be no requirement for a marking stating that the helmet complies with the standard.

Ok, I have found Trade Practices (Consumer Product Safety Standard) (Bicycle Helmets) Regulations 2001. I can find no requirement for helmet labelling, however it can be seen that Paragraph 8.1 (e) has been omitted. I can't find the original paragraph so cannot identify if it correlates to the omitted clause 8 [g] of the motorcycle standard, but it's a fair guess that both these standards used the same format, and interesting that the section has been removed from both standards.
RonK

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:54 pm

My understanding of the motorcycle helmet labelling (and I have this from a friend who is a rider and while he is really into this stuff it could be wrong) isd that motocycle helmets have to have a certification number actually on a tag/label on the inner surface of the helmet which is then covered over by the lining. Think it came into force last year or the year before.
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
gorilla monsoon

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy