open letter to cycling advocates

wizdofaus

Re: open letter to cycling advocates

Postby wizdofaus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:29 am

Spend some time riding in Europe or Japan (probably other places too), then tell me the problem is largely with the cyclist.

Look, 90% of drivers in Australia are fine, but there's enough idiots on the road that inevitably someone's going to give you a decent fright at some point. Why those idiots don't seem to exist in aforementioned parts of the world is the mystery. I haven't spent any time riding in the U.S. but I've got the impression it's nearly as bad there too.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:19 am

wizdofaus wrote: Why those idiots don't seem to exist in aforementioned parts of the world is the mystery.
They simply won't be able to get a licence to drive. Many countries have a much stricter, longer-term driving licence training and testing program. Also more people ride bikes through their lives so drivers have greater compassion because they've all ridden and/or have families who ride.
wizdofaus wrote:I haven't spent any time riding in the U.S. but I've got the impression it's nearly as bad there too.
Friends of mine who've toured quite a bit in the USA tell me that generally drivers there are much better than here.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:52 pm

AuShiker, just saw the last yt video where you got cut by the van. Two questions. Why aren't you on the shoulder? I don't know the road, but it looked like the smart play. Second question. Why didn't you punch on? If it is worth posting a video it is worth punching on. I can't tell if you were really scared or not, but I would have had words at least. YouTube does not educate the driver, whether you are upset or not.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:05 pm

Neither does punching on
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:17 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Neither does punching on
War is the continuation of politics by other means - Carl von Clausewitz

You wouldn't let a man wave a gun at you. I wouldn't let them wave a moving car at me either. Punching on DOES educate, there is a reason why corporal punishment was preferred for most of human history.

We are not talking about idle errors and unfortunate confusions, we are talking about deliberate acts of aggression and there is no sensible human doesn't keep violence in the kit bag. Extremity must be met with extremity. I'm sitting here with a sore leg from my own mistake. I would not accept this misery by someone else's doing.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:23 pm

I do agree that punching on would make me feel better in the short term (because I'd usually snot the bloke with ease), but the bloke's probably already been bashed more than once, he still doesn't get it, and he'd play the victim for a win in his tiny mind and in the similay sized minds of many.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves