The d***ed pothole threw me off...

User avatar
il padrone
Posts: 22740
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

The d***ed pothole threw me off...

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:45 pm

Interesting viewpoint about potholes in the UK, estimating that "10 t0 15% of all cycling accidents" are caused by pothole craters.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

User avatar
boyracer
Posts: 711
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: The d***ed pothole threw me off...

Postby boyracer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:57 pm

I had a double blowout the other day whilst descending greenhill road at ~ 80 km/h!
New experience for me...still rode it out though. took frickin' ages to stop. two massive(15mm) snake bites in tubes.
I've done that hill hundreds of times before withhout incident. New pothole just presented itself on the race line...

Nobody
Posts: 7707
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The d***ed pothole threw me off...

Postby Nobody » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:00 pm

I came off the CX/road bike last year due a tree root making a hump in the bike path combined with a lack of concentration. This was at the southern end of SOP.

Maybe we should all be riding around on tadpole trikes so we are less likely to be spat off when we hit a big irregularity in/on the road.

User avatar
il padrone
Posts: 22740
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: The d***ed pothole threw me off...

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:18 pm

Nobody wrote:Maybe we should all be riding around on tadpole trikes so we are less likely to be spat off when we hit a big irregularity in/on the road.

Nothing's perfect when it comes to road surfaces :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

pacra
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:13 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: The d***ed pothole threw me off...

Postby pacra » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:51 pm

Around my locality many older houses are getting pulled down and replaced with both terrace and larger buildings. The holes (craters) left by heavy earth moving equipment leave the road looking more like trench warfare by the time they finish on any one site.
What is worse is when they do fill it in, they are so miserly with the asphalt that it compresses and subsides, within a week it is back to a 10cm deep gouge in the road but this time with nice sharp edges. A month later the next lot of builders move in and add to the handiwork.
In Burke Rd East Malvern they did a half metre wide trench diagonally across the road and left it full of loose gravel for over a week. Strangely, you could avoid it on the bike but the tyre slap from cars could be heard for 100 yards.

g-boaf
Posts: 7029
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: The d***ed pothole threw me off...

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:18 am

boyracer wrote:I had a double blowout the other day whilst descending greenhill road at ~ 80 km/h!
New experience for me...still rode it out though. took frickin' ages to stop. two massive(15mm) snake bites in tubes.
I've done that hill hundreds of times before withhout incident. New pothole just presented itself on the race line...


And what was the speed limit on the road? 80km/h double blow out, yikes! :shock:

pacra wrote:Around my locality many older houses are getting pulled down and replaced with both terrace and larger buildings. The holes (craters) left by heavy earth moving equipment leave the road looking more like trench warfare by the time they finish on any one site.
What is worse is when they do fill it in, they are so miserly with the asphalt that it compresses and subsides, within a week it is back to a 10cm deep gouge in the road but this time with nice sharp edges. A month later the next lot of builders move in and add to the handiwork.


Oh yes, that's the way around here. When the road gets properly resurfaced, a few weeks later, someone will come along and cut it open to do something else and patch it up - leaving a bunch of craters resembling the lunar landscape rather than a road. :roll:

Nobody wrote:I came off the CX/road bike last year due a tree root making a hump in the bike path combined with a lack of concentration. This was at the southern end of SOP.

Maybe we should all be riding around on tadpole trikes so we are less likely to be spat off when we hit a big irregularity in/on the road.


And take a look at the shared path on Adderley Street (west and east)! The road is superior.

User avatar
Howzat
Posts: 664
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:08 pm

Re: The d***ed pothole threw me off...

Postby Howzat » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am

boyracer wrote:I had a double blowout the other day whilst descending greenhill road at ~ 80 km/h!

Crikey - glad you're here to post about it. Did you report the pothole?

I had the sick feeling of the front wheel slipping out from under me on a curve yesterday. Cause: a gumnut in the wrong spot. Was back on line before I knew what had happened.

macca33
Posts: 1339
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: West Gippy

Re: The d***ed pothole threw me off...

Postby macca33 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 pm

Did my first climb of the local 'Hill' yesterday and on the descent I hit a nasty road bump at about 55kph that almost threw my rather substantial mass off the bike. Luckily, I hung on and the bike settled after a few moments. Certainly a knicks-changing moment!
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Jamis Xenith Elite

Image

Nobody
Posts: 7707
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The d***ed pothole threw me off...

Postby Nobody » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:46 pm

g-boaf wrote:And take a look at the shared path on Adderley Street (west and east)! The road is superior.
Thanks. I had a quick look on Google maps. What I've had trouble with is the part of path that links SOP to Cooks River, so I don't know how relevant Adderley St is to this. To be more specific it was the rough path through Mason Park, Homebush. I could probably go across to George St in parallel to avoid it, but that is a bit out of the way. Underwood Rd is too busy IMO.

g-boaf
Posts: 7029
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: The d***ed pothole threw me off...

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Nobody wrote:
g-boaf wrote:And take a look at the shared path on Adderley Street (west and east)! The road is superior.
Thanks. I had a quick look on Google maps. What I've had trouble with is the part of path that links SOP to Cooks River, so I don't know how relevant Adderley St is to this. To be more specific it was the rough path through Mason Park, Homebush. I could probably go across to George St in parallel to avoid it, but that is a bit out of the way. Underwood Rd is too busy IMO.


Haven't been along there myself. Did do SOP one day but it is so stop start. When back on the bike I will go along their again. Good on you mentioning that, it's useful for me to know. :)

I'd looked at various routes, someone I think even mentioned riding through Rookwood Cemetary, but that's even more out of the way. I prefer lightly trafficked roads.
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcjordan
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: The d***ed pothole threw me off...

Postby jcjordan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:20 pm

boyracer wrote:I had a double blowout the other day whilst descending greenhill road at ~ 80 km/h!
New experience for me...still rode it out though. took frickin' ages to stop. two massive(15mm) snake bites in tubes.
I've done that hill hundreds of times before withhout incident. New pothole just presented itself on the race line...

That is one interesting road. Road down that road twice during my TDU holiday.

Have had a blow out on Honeysuckle but that road has a lot more straight parts. Greenhill is pity much one cnr into the next.

Well done in staying upright.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 4929
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The d***ed pothole threw me off...

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Nobody wrote:
g-boaf wrote:And take a look at the shared path on Adderley Street (west and east)! The road is superior.
Thanks. I had a quick look on Google maps. What I've had trouble with is the part of path that links SOP to Cooks River, so I don't know how relevant Adderley St is to this. To be more specific it was the rough path through Mason Park, Homebush. I could probably go across to George St in parallel to avoid it, but that is a bit out of the way. Underwood Rd is too busy IMO.


I avoid that path because it's an accident waiting to happen. Some years ago it was resurfaced but the tree roots weren't removed and so it's back to being dangerous. That's why I take George Street.

Nobody
Posts: 7707
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The d***ed pothole threw me off...

Postby Nobody » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:10 pm

biker jk wrote:
Nobody wrote:
g-boaf wrote:And take a look at the shared path on Adderley Street (west and east)! The road is superior.
Thanks. I had a quick look on Google maps. What I've had trouble with is the part of path that links SOP to Cooks River, so I don't know how relevant Adderley St is to this. To be more specific it was the rough path through Mason Park, Homebush. I could probably go across to George St in parallel to avoid it, but that is a bit out of the way. Underwood Rd is too busy IMO.


I avoid that path because it's an accident waiting to happen. Some years ago it was resurfaced but the tree roots weren't removed and so it's back to being dangerous. That's why I take George Street.
Thanks. I think you're right. I almost have had a head on around the blind kink more than once. I'll try George St.

User avatar
boyracer
Posts: 711
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: The d***ed pothole threw me off...

Postby boyracer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:44 pm

The posted limit is indeed 80....
There were no thoughts of rag dolling. If you do that you will almost certainly fulfill the prophecy.
My wife thinks i'm actually a cat....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users