2013 Cycling Fatalities

roberto73

Re: 2013 Cycling Fatalities

Postby roberto73 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:08 pm

TfNSW says the 14 fatalities in 2013 were made up of 4 bicycle only involved run offs/hitting an object, 3 were riding off footpath onto a road collisions, 3 were rear enders, 2 hit by passing vehicles, and 1 cyclist hitting cyclist crash. Only 7 deaths in 2012, which was below the average of 11 for last few years, so 14 may hopefully not be a frightening trend, but then again... As reported on another thread, Police put out a Media statement on Wed about stopping and assisting after a crash, in relation to the hit and run on Mamre Rd.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:59 pm

roberto73 wrote:TfNSW says the 14 fatalities in 2013 were made up of 4 bicycle only involved run offs/hitting an object, 3 were riding off footpath onto a road collisions, 3 were rear enders, 2 hit by passing vehicles, and 1 cyclist hitting cyclist crash. Only 7 deaths in 2012, which was below the average of 11 for last few years, so 14 may hopefully not be a frightening trend, but then again... As reported on another thread, Police put out a Media statement on Wed about stopping and assisting after a crash, in relation to the hit and run on Mamre Rd.
Got a link for that Roberto73 - it would come in handy for something I am working on.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:19 pm

roberto73 wrote:TfNSW says the 14 fatalities in 2013 were made up of 4 bicycle only involved run offs/hitting an object, 3 were riding off footpath onto a road collisions, 3 were rear enders, 2 hit by passing vehicles, and 1 cyclist hitting cyclist crash. Only 7 deaths in 2012, which was below the average of 11 for last few years, so 14 may hopefully not be a frightening trend, but then again... As reported on another thread, Police put out a Media statement on Wed about stopping and assisting after a crash, in relation to the hit and run on Mamre Rd.
The n=14 is confirmed by media.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclists-at-r ... 305h0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5/14 - On-road bike-vehicle collision
3/14 - Inappropriate riding onto the road
4/14 - Bike only
1/14 - Bike-bike collision.

In other words, 36% were bike-vehicle with a likely high proportion (?28% as we know the recent Turramurra crash can be deducted) of the cases being caused by the vehicle driver. The remaining 57% has responsibility largely with the bike rider or potentially avoidable by riding more defensively. If the Turramurra case is added, that'd take the percentage to around 65%.

Another major crash today.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclist-serio ... 30nb5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:33 pm

According to Sydney Cyclist, the woman in the Waterfall accident has passed away.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:43 pm

sogood wrote:
The n=14 is confirmed by media.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclists-at-r ... 305h0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5/14 - On-road bike-vehicle collision
3/14 - Inappropriate riding onto the road
4/14 - Bike only
1/14 - Bike-bike collision.

In other words, 36% were bike-vehicle with a likely high proportion (?28% as we know the recent Turramurra crash can be deducted) of the cases being caused by the vehicle driver. The remaining 57% has responsibility largely with the bike rider or potentially avoidable by riding more defensively. If the Turramurra case is added, that'd take the percentage to around 65%.
Those figures are pretty much inline with what occurs to motorists. About half of all motoring fatalities in this country are in single vehicle accidents, so if one was to try locate the most direct fault from one of the operators of the vehicles, its pretty much going to be true in 75% of the cases, regardless of vehicle type.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:46 pm

zero wrote:Those figures are pretty much inline with what occurs to motorists. About half of all motoring fatalities in this country are in single vehicle accidents, so if one was to try locate the most direct fault from one of the operators of the vehicles, its pretty much going to be true in 75% of the cases, regardless of vehicle type.
Thanks for the perspective. It makes sense given the same human cohort in both group.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:20 pm

zero wrote:According to Sydney Cyclist, the woman in the Waterfall accident has passed away.
Appears to have been pilot error or equipment failure. Went into a hairpin very much too hot and crossed over onto the wrong side.

Have to wonder what happened. Concentration lapse? Misjudgement? Unfamiliar with the road? Slow tyre leak? Tired hands? Slipped brake cable?

I wonder how closely the investigation will look at the bike?

Very sad. :(

And a warning to us to be careful with maintaining our equipment and our vigilance when riding.

Rest in peace.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:39 pm

trailgumby wrote:Appears to have been pilot error or equipment failure. Went into a hairpin very much too hot and crossed over onto the wrong side.

Have to wonder what happened. Concentration lapse? Misjudgement? Unfamiliar with the road? Slow tyre leak? Tired hands? Slipped brake cable?
With that Waterfall descent, it's very easy to over cook the turns for those who are not totally familiar with the route. Remembering a very experienced member of my club who first took me on that RNP circuit, he used to repeatedly remind new and experienced riders to take a lot of care on that descent. For how quiet that section is normally, most get away with it.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:17 pm

trailgumby wrote:
zero wrote:According to Sydney Cyclist, the woman in the Waterfall accident has passed away.
Appears to have been pilot error or equipment failure. Went into a hairpin very much too hot and crossed over onto the wrong side.

I wonder how closely the investigation will look at the bike?

Very sad. :(

And a warning to us to be careful with maintaining our equipment and our vigilance when riding.

Rest in peace.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
People can ride bikes (motorised or otherwise) quite quickly without consciously being aware that counter steering is required to initiate lean. Those people find it very hard to extract full performance out of their bike when they scare themselves by deliberately going faster, as they start turning the bars into the corner too quick and then the bike "won't lean" much or enough.

Bike will be damaged and the front tire probably flat and rim buckled. They'll check that the cables aren't broken, the brakes are capable of locking an unbuckled rim with the pads and cable as given, and that the steerer doesn't have a progressive failure of some sort, but it was never described as a sliding down the road kind of accident.

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:03 am

For info, cyclist fatalities were up a staggering 51 per cent in 2013 nationally.
http://quaddess.com/2014/01/14/cyclist- ... 1-in-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:23 am

The A DRIVER who killed a mother-of-four as she was cycling on Warrnambool’s Hopkins Point Road is appealing against the severity of his jail sentence...Eamonn Leddin, 21, admitted culpable driving in the County Court last month and was jailed for four years and three months. He will have to serve two years and three months before being eligible for parole.

Many in the community were shocked by the harshness of the sentence.

Leddin, of Panmure, killed Janet Baldam, 47, when his car hit her about 11am on April 7, 2011. He had been travelling back to the region after attending a show in Melbourne and had only slept for about five hours, a court hearing last year heard.
Source: The Standard

Andrew

zero

Postby zero » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:33 pm

Aushiker wrote:
The A DRIVER who killed a mother-of-four as she was cycling on Warrnambool’s Hopkins Point Road is appealing against the severity of his jail sentence...Eamonn Leddin, 21, admitted culpable driving in the County Court last month and was jailed for four years and three months. He will have to serve two years and three months before being eligible for parole.

Many in the community were shocked by the harshness of the sentence.

Leddin, of Panmure, killed Janet Baldam, 47, when his car hit her about 11am on April 7, 2011. He had been travelling back to the region after attending a show in Melbourne and had only slept for about five hours, a court hearing last year heard.
Source: The Standard

Andrew
If I was the family of the victim, I'd be appealing the inadequacy of the sentence.

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:51 pm

Always interesting when you hear a reporter say things like "many in the community...."
If they asked around enough, framing the question in appropriate unbiased terms, they'd more than likely find half weren't shocked, which would render insignificant mentioning shock at all.

I suppose the shock experienced by the deceased's partner and children isn't worth reporting either.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:36 pm

Stefan_A wrote:I suppose the shock experienced by the deceased's partner and children isn't worth reporting either.
+ 1 I commented along those lines. Not sure if it made the censor but.

Andrew

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:04 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Stefan_A wrote:I suppose the shock experienced by the deceased's partner and children isn't worth reporting either.
+ 1 I commented along those lines. Not sure if it made the censor but.

Andrew
There were a few names in the comments that look familiar

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:43 pm

Couldn't see comments so I dunno if mine got through. :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Couldn't see comments so I dunno if mine got through. :(
Nah, you didn't make it but some bloke called Bill Mulger had some clever things to say :wink:

Romper, bomper, stomper boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me, do. Magic Mirror, tell me today, have all my friends had fun at play? I can see ....
Bill Mulger wrote:Wonder what the sentence would be if he was "playing" with a gun and "accidentally" shot a mother of four going about her legitimate business.
That's FOUR children having to go through life without a mothers love and guidance.
Seems like the easiest way to kill someone and get off relatively lightly is to use a car as a weapon. :-(
call me ishmael wrote:And that's why one metre matters when passing a cyclist. Intent or not - he killed an innocent person through his actions. He might not have been speeding or alcohol affected, but what about fatigue or inattention?
He's lucky he isn't on a manslaughter charge and as for finding a long sentence in jail difficult - what about the victim's family - they have a life sentence.
Reality detector wrote:Leddin should be afforded the same type of sentencing structure as the other two were given- especially Wythe.
So unfair and unjust he gets lumbered and the other two get off relatively free.
Equity with justice!!
jules > Reality detector wrote:It's outrageous she ran over someone while drunk behind the wheel and escaped jail time. That cannot be the sentencing standard for culpable driving. People must accept responsibility for their actions.
Aushiker > Reality detector wrote:What about the family of Janet Baldam? What about Janet? You seem to care more the person doing the killing than the person killed and their family. They get a life sentence, Leddin got let off in comparison. He had no excuses for his driving; he killed a person. Time to value human life I would suggest.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:12 am

greatapoc wrote:Cops just put out a media release.
Police are conducting investigations after a cyclist was hit by a truck at Wallsend today.

About 8:10am, Sunday 18 August 2013, emergency services were called to Minmi Road following reports of a collision between a truck and a bicycle.

A 36-year-old man was trapped underneath the truck and died at the scene.

A crime scene was established and Minmi Road closed while officers from Newcastle Crash Investigation Unit conducted examinations of the scene.

The uninjured truck driver was taken to the John Hunter Hospital for mandatory blood and urine tests.

Investigations into the circumstances surrounding the collision are continuing and police will prepare a report for the information of the Coroner.

Anyone with information about this incident is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://www1.police.nsw.gov.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.
Noticed in the local paper this week, read a few days worth last night, in a tiny little filler piece that the driver has been charged with dangerous driving occasioning death.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:59 am

Looks like a straight take from a Police media release
Newcastle Herald wrote:Cyclist death charge laid
Date: 05/02/2014
Publication: Newcastle Herald
Section: News
Page: 17

A TRUCK driver has been charged with dangerous driving causing death over the death of a cyclist on Minmi Road at Wallsend last year.
Andrew Ayre, 35, of Beresfield, died after he was struck by a truck on August 18.

Crash investigators have charged the driver.

He will face his first court appearance on March 18.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:27 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:The short straw in Tasmania this morning. Ride In Peace.
http://www.examiner.com.au/story/199586 ... way/?cs=95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An update on the the killing of Lewis Hendey has been posted in the Examiner.
The 26-year-old driver who struck Mr Hendey in a Nissan Navara dual-cab ute has been charged with negligent driving causing death.
Andrew

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:45 pm

Aushiker wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:The short straw in Tasmania this morning. Ride In Peace.
http://www.examiner.com.au/story/199586 ... way/?cs=95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An update on the the killing of Lewis Hendey has been posted in the Examiner.
The 26-year-old driver who struck Mr Hendey in a Nissan Navara dual-cab ute has been charged with negligent driving causing death.
Andrew
Thanks for the update Andrew. Why it took six months to complete the investigation and charge the driver is an absolute joke. Justice delayed is justice denied.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:11 pm

biker jk wrote:Why it took six months to complete the investigation and charge the driver is an absolute joke. Justice delayed is justice denied.
Maybe Tasmania's Director of Public Prosecutions was unable to file charges of negligent driving causing death in this case as he is currently suspended on full pay while he tries to fight the same charges himself.

Thoglette

Kathleen Heraghty's killer in court

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:31 am

Aushiker wrote:More details have emerged including the arrest of the driver and passenger.
Driver told passenger that car struck 'sign or fruit stall' after hitting cyclist, prosecutor alleges
Candice Prosser, ABC wrote:A woman charged over the death of a cyclist south of Adelaide was allegedly driving under the influence of methylamphetamine, a court has heard.

Samantha Magdaleine Farrer has gone on trial in the District Court on an aggravated charge of causing death by dangerous driving and leaving an accident scene after causing death.

The court heard Kathleen Heraghty died when she was hit by a car while cycling along Inman Valley Road at Inman Valley on December 27, 2013.

Prosecutor Amelia Cairney told the court Farrer allegedly drove from Collinswood to Cape Jervis after a Christmas party on little or no sleep with methylamphetamine in her system.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ