Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:48 am

The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

by BNA » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:16 pm

BNA

Re: 2013 Cycling Fatalities

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:16 pm

news article here with video footage of trucks not making the squeeze on rail bridges near corinda
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6685171921

apparently the number of incidents has increased since the installing of a flashing sign that detects oncoming vehicle height
GO!! Run!!! GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Cheesewheel

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:30 pm

Ah crap :cry: RIP brother.

The railwayman AND cyclist in me wants to rage very hard and very much right now but will refrain out of respect.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:50 pm

The Brisbane cycling community lost a mate. RIP Les. Thinking of your family tonight. I hear the riding is bloody good up there.

The 2nd Womble

Postby greatapoc » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:47 pm

A fatality has occurred this morning just down the road from me in Wallsend (suburb of Newcastle) NSW. I don't have any details at the moment other than a truck was involved.
greatapoc

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:54 pm

I can only find that a motorcyclist is in a critical condition down your way after an accident this morning. Keep us posted.

The 2nd Womble

Postby greatapoc » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Cops just put out a media release.

Police are conducting investigations after a cyclist was hit by a truck at Wallsend today.

About 8:10am, Sunday 18 August 2013, emergency services were called to Minmi Road following reports of a collision between a truck and a bicycle.

A 36-year-old man was trapped underneath the truck and died at the scene.

A crime scene was established and Minmi Road closed while officers from Newcastle Crash Investigation Unit conducted examinations of the scene.

The uninjured truck driver was taken to the John Hunter Hospital for mandatory blood and urine tests.

Investigations into the circumstances surrounding the collision are continuing and police will prepare a report for the information of the Coroner.

Anyone with information about this incident is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://www1.police.nsw.gov.au/ . Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.
greatapoc

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:news article here with video footage of trucks not making the squeeze on rail bridges near corinda
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6685171921

apparently the number of incidents has increased since the installing of a flashing sign that detects oncoming vehicle height

In the first example the over-height warning lights don't come on until it is well and truly too late. On top of that the sign is placed way off to the right, out of the driver's immediate field of vision. The driver only has a few seconds to hit the brakes so any delay in recognition makes the sign a waste of time.

Crap design leads to crap results :roll:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:29 pm

+1 but, as a professional driver it is my responsibility to ensure I know the height of every vehicle I drive. If I don't know, I ask. Bridges and other immovable objects don't jump out at you. This bridge is well sign posted in both directions and is the dominating structure for an aware driver for 400m in either direction in a 60kph zone. There are no excuses here.

The 2nd Womble

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:32 pm

I think its at Palmwoods on the Nambour Line but there are no warning lights. Just a massive iron girder. Hit that and you'll do much more damage to your truck/goods than the bridge would have done. I'd love to see more of them around Brisbane instead of in quiet towns north of Brisbane :P
Lukeyboy

Postby greatapoc » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:46 pm

greatapoc

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:39 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I think its at Palmwoods on the Nambour Line but there are no warning lights. Just a massive iron girder. Hit that and you'll do much more damage to your truck/goods than the bridge would have done. I'd love to see more of them around Brisbane instead of in quiet towns north of Brisbane :P

Palmwoods - correct.I drive/ride under this a lot. It has a few battle scars from both directions already :) never seen the offending vehicles though!

As an ex-truck drive myself, I only skimmed one bridge in the UK. I was being guided under at the time, a 76mile detour if I didn't fit! I crept along and as soon at the scrap sound came I was completely sick in the stomach and furious at my guides. Stopped lowered the suspension, still not enough, let some air out of tyres, got out raised suspension and limped to the delivery point where I had organised the support tyre van to come and pump me back up again. Happy days!!!

But I didn't approach it like a bat out hell like some idiots in these videos, sheer complacency and lack of due care and attention.
Wakatuki

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:48 am

Truck vs cyclist just north of Brisbane at Kallangur. A young boy was involved apparently.

Edit: Details http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2013/09 ... kallangur/
Lukeyboy

Postby Paul B » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Truck vs cyclist just north of Brisbane at Kallangur. A young boy was involved apparently.

Edit: Details http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2013/09 ... kallangur/

Poor little guy, just 5 years old. Absolute tragedy, how sad.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/201 ... uck-in-qld
Paul B

Postby winstonw » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:42 pm

Very sad to hear of a 5yo dying.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 2u7ju.html

Though it piques my curiosity on how it happened. My first thought is, as a driver, whenever I see a cyclist, I am on full alert to monitor the riding behavior of the cyclist. (This morning, I saw a grundgy guy riding with 3 bags of vege riding up the wrong side of the road, then cross two lanes onto the grassy median strip, which he crossed at more of a right angle...then at the last moment before I got to him, he looked around and decided to brake rather than jump down off the strip and across in front of me. Fortunately, I'd already taken enough speed off predicting the guy wasn't playing with a full pack. The guy up my arse obviously thought I was being too cautious. The guy on the bike was a total menace.)

BTW, I grew up 200 metres from that Kallangur intersection in the 60s and 70s, and my parents refused to let my two brothers and I have bicycles due to dangers.
winstonw

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:57 pm

I think he might have been crossing the road at the intersection going by the debris in one of the photos in the article on the BT website (pretty much in the centre of the two northbound lanes). A 18 year old was also killed by a truck earlier this year crossing at an intersection a few km down the same road.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lukeyboy

Postby Paul B » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I think he might have been crossing the road at the intersection going by the debris in one of the photos in the article on the BT website. A 18 year old was also killed by a truck earlier this year crossing at an intersection a few km down the same road.

Really ? That paints a different picture to "Out cycling with the family".
Paul B

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:18 pm

Paul B wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:I think he might have been crossing the road at the intersection going by the debris in one of the photos in the article on the BT website. A 18 year old was also killed by a truck earlier this year crossing at an intersection a few km down the same road.

Really ? That paints a different picture to "Out cycling with the family".

It was right there in the second sentence:
Brisbane Times wrote:The family, out for a morning ride, was crossing Narangba Road at a set of traffic lights

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... z2fbEs0cVV
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Paul B » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:20 pm

il padrone wrote:It was right there in the second sentence:
Brisbane Times wrote:The family, out for a morning ride, was crossing Narangba Road at a set of traffic lights

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... z2fbEs0cVV

I did not see that article. I read the one I linked which if you took the time to observe, you will see was posted before the article you refer to.
Last edited by Paul B on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul B

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Riding bikes/cycling is the same thing up here. In Queensland its legal to ride bikes on footpaths so its very common to see families with children of very young ages out riding around going to parks on weekends. And let me tell you there are no shortages of parks in that area.

Lukeyboy

Postby Paul B » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:27 pm

yea and they were probably in the process of doing as I alluded to. Going to a safe place for the kid to have a ride on his bike. So horribly tragic. Feeling for the family.
Paul B

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:47 pm

What in Fred's name is wrong with Qld drivers?
A five year old crossing the road!
The father in me feels very sick right now, all strength to the youngsters family. :(

Go hug your kids people.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:35 pm

We know nothing as yet.
Last edited by The 2nd Womble on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The 2nd Womble

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:14 pm

All I've got is the linked article which mentioned the truck was turning...
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Mulger bill wrote:All I've got is the linked article which mentioned the truck was turning...

All good MB. it's a rubbish set of lights. I'm sure theres been more than 1 death here too.

The 2nd Womble

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy