Riding in a bus lane

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Riding in a bus lane

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:51 pm

This issue of riding in a bus lane came up in the moron motorists thread & it seems what I included in the Road Rule summary could do with some clarificiation. What I had written was
Queensland you can ride in a “bus lane or a “bus only lane” (rule 154)
NSW you can ride in a “bus lane”, but not a “bus only lane” (rule 154 & 158(2))
Victoria, Tasmania, SA, WA, ACT & NT you are not allowed to ride in a “bus lane” or a “bus only lane” (rule 154 & 158, WA regs 132 & 136)

Il Padrone & Aushiker have pointed out that in Victoria & WA you are allowed to ride in a bus lanes if there is a traffic sign, along the lines of this one

While Steve_F politely pointed out that I was just plain wrong about SA. It turns out while there is no reference to riding in a bus lane in the SA Road Rules, Steve's post prompted a bit more digging & I found it hiding in regulation 10 of the Road Traffic (Road Rules—Ancillary and Miscellaneous Provisions) Regulations 1999

I will fix up the road rule summary, but before I do I thought I would check to make sure I hadn't made other mistakes - look forward to your comments. What I propose to change it to is
Queensland you can ride in a “bus lane or a “bus only lane” (rule 154)
NSW you can ride in a “bus lane”, but not a “bus only lane” (rule 154 & 158(2))
SA you can ride in a “bus lane”, but not a “bus only lane” (regulation 10 of the Ancillary and Miscellaneous Provisions)
Victoria, Tasmania, WA, ACT & NT you are not allowed to ride in a “bus lane” or a “bus only lane” unless there is a traffic sign permitting you to do so (rule 154 & 158, WA regs 133 & 136)
find_bruce

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy