Cycling Safety Research Survey

Wanda Griffin

Cycling Safety Research Survey

Postby Wanda Griffin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Survey titled: Judging accident risk at intersections for car drivers and cyclists.
QUT Ethics Approval Number: 1200000528

Dear cyclists,

I am a Masters by Research Student from the Queensland University of Technology, Centre for Accident Research and Road Safety - Queensland. I am looking for cyclists, aged over 17, with a car driver’s licence, who live in a major city or inner regional centre, to complete an online survey that will take approximately 20 minutes. Approval has been given by Christopher Jones (Founder) to share this survey on the BNA forum.

The purpose of this research is to investigate factors affecting cyclist safety at intersections, one of the road environments where cyclists are most at risk. This research will examine how you as a cyclist or a car driver experience travelling on the road through the urban environment. By gathering your knowledge we can gain a greater understanding about the risk you feel when interacting with various modes of transport in a range of traffic situations. Other information we would like to gather is regarding the number of years you have been driving or cycling, how regularly you use your bike /car, the distance and amount of time you travel. Your input will provide valuable knowledge and information that can be used to inform the development of road safety strategies and guide the development of a safer transport network.

Your participation in this project is entirely voluntary and all survey answers are anonymous, the names of individual persons are not required in any of the responses.

You are invited to go a random prize draw for one of five $100 Coles/Myer gift vouchers drawn at the conclusion of the survey, which will be by 31 May 2013 at the latest. Contact details for the prize draw will be kept separate from the responses this information will not be used for any other purposes, the prize draw and contact details will be destroyed once all vouchers have been claimed.

Please enter the following on line survey URL http://survey.qut.edu.au/f/175250/1bcd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks for your consideration of this request
Wanda Griffin

Aushiker

Re: Cycling Safety Research Survey

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi Wanda

I completed the survey, but had to switch from using Safari to Firefox to get past the pop-up about riding in the afternoon. Your website would not respond to to the continue button.

Regards
Andew

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:18 pm

I'm not sure how to interpret the question phrased as "In your opinion, how likely is it that you will have an accident on your bike in the next 3 years, if (some dangerous situation occurs)."

Perhaps do you mean "how likely is it that you will have an accident caused by (some dangerous situation) at some point in the next three years?"

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Done. Hope it helps your cycling safety work in QLD and that any important findings get shared between the States.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Safari worked for me.

Cheers,

Cameron

Wanda Griffin

Postby Wanda Griffin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey and thank you for the feedback, Aushiker I will check to make sure all is working well, thanks handglider it might have just been a moment with the soft ware. Howzat good to know how language could better expressed. Summernight, when I first started this project I was very centered on Brisbane, as where I live, transit and where improvements in the transport network for cyclists seem to be advancing at a slow pace. As the research has been developing, a realisation that this research extends the boundaries of an individual city and has grown to includecyclists from all Australian cities and regional towns. I would agree this information will be revelant to all Australian areas and the research results will available to all the states. Thanks again for your action and for sharing you experience. happy riding Wanda

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:58 pm

If the survey is still running then feel free to post links on Safe Cycling Australia on FB Wanda
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Done. I interpretted the 3 years as "if I continued to do this particular thing, would I eventually have a prang from this?". I was heavily biased towards yes I would prang eventually if this kind of thing happened repeatedly. But I DID believe that I was less likely to be involved in an accident if I was the one doing the dodgy stuff.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 am

Wasn't sure how to answer 'have you had an accident, (minor damage etc)' chose no, I haven't had an acident with another vehicle but I've had a few crashes on bike, mainly MTB.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Wanda Griffin

Postby Wanda Griffin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:21 pm

Thank you every one for the time you have given to share your experience, I appreciate it. This research will record how cyclists and drivers view interactions between the different modes of travel and having an equal number of cyclists as it gives a balanced perspective. Happy cycling Wanda

Wanda Griffin

Postby Wanda Griffin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Dear cyclists there is still a couple of weeks before the end of the survey if you get a chance please participate. Thank you Cheers Wanda

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:20 pm

I giggled at the question do you own a bike - I was sorely tempted to reply "no" cause I own 3 bikes :mrgreen:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:20 pm

I giggled at the question do you own a bike - I was sorely tempted to reply "no" cause I own 3 bikes :mrgreen:

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:46 pm

find_bruce wrote:I giggled at the question do you own a bike - I was sorely tempted to reply "no" cause I own 3 bikes :mrgreen:
If you live in Ipswich the answer to that would be "no, this isn't mine. I'm sure it does belong to someone though 'ey?"
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

planner

Postby planner » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:07 am

Filled in the survey. Gee, I felt sure that I would have fallen off in the last 3 years, but I can't remember - maybe I hit my head and can't remember. No lasting damage. Best of luck with the research.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:31 pm

Wait, what on earth is a four legged intersection as opposed to an X intersection?

Surprised there were no questions about cars passing too close at intersections, which is probably the only thing that causes an issue for me at intersections with lights (mostly idiots who realise they have to quickly speed across the intersection to avoid parked cars in the lane ahead). But the only time I've had an accident at an intersection of any sort was when a car coming the other way turned left into a side-road in front of me while traffic was stopped (no traffic lights) - I was forced to turn left into the same road to avoid anything worse than bumping with her side-on. To this day, riding past stopped/parked/barely-moving cars is still the only time I actually genuinely worry for my safety.