Husband's first crash

TraceyG

Husband's first crash

Postby TraceyG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:40 am

My husband had his first cycling crash this morning thanks to a (much refrain from repeating language used on the road) moron motorist. It was 6.30am, dark but we were both well lit up. He was ahead of me and I called "Car back". The driver went around us so he clearly saw us.

But then he turned left, leaving my husband with nowhere to go but down. For a terrifying moment that seemed to last forever, I thought he was going under the wheels. Hubby was left sliding across the bitumen as the car drove off (that was when my language skills kicked in! If it had been a residential area I would have woken the neighbours.)

Picked up hubby and his bike and got them off the road to assess the damage, still sitting there two minutes later, both of us shaking and in shock when the driver returns (note, two or three other cars passed, even stopped at T intersection in this time but not one of them asked if we were okay or needed help).

Somehow I held my tongue with the driver when asking him quite firmly why he had cut us off and whether he would have done the same thing to a car.

"I didn't know which way you were going." - we weren't indicated, therefore we were going straight ahead.
I asked whether he would have done the same thing to a car. "A car would have indicated." No, it wouldn't, not if it was going straight ahead.
I asked again whether he would have done the same thing to a car and pointed out that he had driven around us and then cut across us. "I would have been going the same speed as a car so it wouldn't have happened." So that makes it our fault because he was driving faster than us?

He never admitted fault, apologised, or even asked if my husband was okay.

Husband has road rash down his left side, shoulder, hip, minor cuts to his left elbow and knee and a sprained wrist. I want him to report it to the police but he is reluctant.

And yes, I have the driver's details (not that he gave them to us), but because I happen to be in the same service club as him.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Husband's first crash

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:46 am

Damn Tracey, that sucks like a Dyson on the 'roids. Hope your other half heals well and is back in the wind soon.

I have nothing to say about this left hooking clown that wouldn't make me give myself a warning :evil:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:58 am

Very sorry to hear this. I get so frustrated/depressed reading about attitudes like this from drivers. I've had a few lately and getting rather sick of it... It's turning me off riding to be honest!

Your husband was knocked off his bike (was there contact with the car?), and there are two people who can corroborate the story. The driver returned so he knew what went on. You have his details, and your husband is injured. His bike is probably banged up a bit too. To me there is no question of reporting it to the police. If only so the police officer can explain to the driver where he went wrong.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:19 am

Damn! Really bad news for your hubby and stressful for you.

No question - report the collision, in particular as the driver was so arrogant and hunting for excuses. You are the witness, the driver even could be regarded as "failing to stop" as he drove off for some time. To get any TAC cover you will need a police report, probably for any bike insurance as well. Repairs should be at the driver's expense.

[efit] By your account the driver also failed to exchange details as well. He has some answering to do to the police :roll:

"Book 'im, Danno!"
Last edited by il padrone on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:39 am

TraceyG wrote:I want him to report it to the police but he is reluctant.
It's an accident and there is injury... I think you are obliged by law to report it to police.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:52 am

TraceyG wrote: I want him to report it to the police but he is reluctant.
As has been said you are OBLIGATED to inform the police.

After having seen how insurance companies treat cyclists I would absolutely call an ambulance to EVERY collision that resulted in damage and slight injury. It could be a waste of time but I've seen enough time wasted by not getting the authorities involved whenever possible.

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:27 am

human909 wrote:
TraceyG wrote: I want him to report it to the police but he is reluctant.
As has been said you are OBLIGATED to inform the police.
This is my understanding too. Any incident involving personal/property damage must be reported.

Dent.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:44 am

Don't understand why your husband is reluctant in reporting the accident? Otherwise reporting is the correct thing to do, for numerous reasons.

Otherwise speaking as a car driver, judging the speed of a bike in front is so very hard to do. Some cyclists push along at 10km/h while others move at 30km/h. For an approaching driver from the back at 60km/h, it's almost impossible to differentiate. Judging by a rider's physique and kind of bike can only go so far. As such, it's always better to err on the side of caution and patience. Can't be said of all drivers out there and I believe there needs to be an awareness campaign on this if we want to reduce similar accidents.
Last edited by sogood on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:45 am

DentedHead wrote:Any incident involving personal/property damage must be reported.
In my state of Victoria, property damage doesn't need to be reported IF the owner is present.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:35 am

That something every cyclist fears - sadly, you can never trust a motorist to overtake you safely.

Did your husband require/seek medical treatment (i.e. attend doctor/hospital/medical clinic) ?
In NSW, that's the trigger for having to report it to police, and will also trigger their interest
in charging the driver.

For future reference, it's best to call an ambulance when there is any sign of injury. They're better
qualified to assess whether further treatment is required than you are when the adrenaline and
testosterone and still pumping. Doesn't cost anything if the ambo's find you are OK.

And it can help drive home the gravity of the situation to the moron driver.

Hopefully, your hubbies wrist injury is just a sprain - but it can be difficult to discriminate a fracture
from a sprain. An x-ray might be a good investment, and either way, good luck with the recovery.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:03 pm

wombatK wrote: Doesn't cost anything if the ambo's find you are OK.
This comment may not necessarily be the case - if you don't have Ambulance Cover (ie. through insurance or purchased direct from your State's ambulance body) you may have to pay for calling out the ambulance. I don't see why anyone WOULDN'T have ambulance cover considering it is only around $40 a year (at least here in Vic when purchased from Ambulance Victoria) but if anyone hasn't joined or insurance doesn't cover it (and you need to be very careful with the insurance policy wording as sometimes they don't cover certain parts of the ambulance call-out) the cost of a call-out could be in the thousands (although unlikely to be thousands if they don't take you to the hospital).

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:11 pm

I find the suggestion to call out an ambulance just to drive home a message or to try and secure cover of costs absolutely abhorrent and massively irresponsible. Would you call an ambulance if you tripped over on the pavement and had a grazed knee and a bit of a sore wrist?

Most people are perfectly capable of assessing whether they require the urgent care provided by an ambulance following a minor accident and the emergency services have much more important things to worry about than helping you teach someone a lesson. Also (slightly off topic) If you haven't done a first aid course, go and do one. It will more than adequately equip you to deal with the majority of injuries that are going to occur in MOST cycling accidents.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Sorry - forgot to say also, I hope your husband heals well Tracey and I also agree that the incident should be reported to Police.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:25 pm

WarbyD wrote:I find the suggestion to call out an ambulance just to drive home a message....... <snip rant>
I think you may have misread wombatK's post and not noticed the key reason for calling an ambo ??
wombatK wrote:They're better qualified to assess whether further treatment is required than you are when the adrenaline and testosterone and still pumping. Doesn't cost anything if the ambo's find you are OK.
Mandatory helmet law?

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:56 pm

WarbyD wrote:I find the suggestion to call out an ambulance just to drive home a message or to try and secure cover of costs absolutely abhorrent and massively irresponsible.
I agree that it is a terrible reason. But that is one of the reasons that would push me to make the call. Our bureaucracy and legal system is such that if you fail to do so then you could be significantly worse off if you don't.
WarbyD wrote:Most people are perfectly capable of assessing whether they require the urgent care provided by an ambulance following a minor accident and the emergency services have much more important things to worry about than helping you teach someone a lesson.
Ambulance officers aren't always capable of accurately assessing whether the cyclist requires hospital care following an accident! A friend of mine was given the all clear following the accident, she told they would take her to hospital if she wanted but it was her choice. She chose not to. Twenty minutes later she could barely walk, 90 minutes later she couldn't walk. She was admitted to hospital to get properly checked over. She was bed ridden for days.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:01 pm

Thank you everyone for your input and support - greatly appreciated!

On the matter of reporting the accident to the police - I am still keen to do so but as the injured party, it is my husband's decision and I need to respect that (although I will still be trying to convince him of the need to report it). I hope that he will agree after he has had time to reflect on it. I took photos of his injuries as soon as we got back home so that we have a record.

On the injury front - I am first aid trained and have had to administer first aid multiple times in stressful situations for much more serious injuries, so I felt competent and capable to assess his injuries and make a decision on whether to call an ambulance or not. (We are Ambulance Victoria members so potential cost wasn't a consideration.)

And on the circumstances of the accident - my husband had actually entered the intersection when the moron motorist cut across him so there was no need for the MM to have to assess speed or anything, other than to recognise that he could not legally make a left hand turn at that moment. In fact, knowing that he was planning to make a left hand turn, and being a long term local who knows the area well, the driver should never have gone around and passed us! You couldn't even say that my husband had undercut a left turning vehicle because my husband was already in the intersection!

Again, thanks everyone.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Glad to hear hubby is ok.

However, as far as reporting goes, he should.

Just remember, if he chooses not to, what will he say to the next cyclist that this motorist hits? The motorist needs to be held accountable otherwise, he will do it again.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:42 pm

who's to say that numbnut driver hasn't done exactly the same thing to 3 other cyclists previously???? you're just enabling repeated bad behaviour if you let him get away with it. I would be furious at someone that wanted to let it slide.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:34 pm

Howzat wrote:
TraceyG wrote:I want him to report it to the police but he is reluctant.
It's an accident and there is injury... I think you are obliged by law to report it to police.
Correct, you are. Not only that, police are obliged to attend the scene. Did he exchange insurance details? No? He should have. 3 demerit points for neg driving, another 3 for failing to exchange insurance particulars. Half his license gone.

I'm not understanding why your husband is reluctant to report it. He did nothing wrong. This tool who hit him needs to learn a lesson.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:44 pm

WarbyD wrote:Most people are perfectly capable of assessing whether they require the urgent care provided by an ambulance following a minor accident and the emergency services have much more important things to worry about than helping you teach someone a lesson. Also (slightly off topic) If you haven't done a first aid course, go and do one. It will more than adequately equip you to deal with the majority of injuries that are going to occur in MOST cycling accidents.
Sorry, I call BS on that. Besides the fact that most people don't do first aid courses, shock and delayed impacts from the crash impair your judgement. The ambulance service telephone triage is perfectly capable of assessing you and prioritising your case while the ambulance is in transit. Make the call. Give them the facts. Leave the assessment and prioritisation up to them.

You may remember Lian Neeson's wife passed away after declining medical attention after a skiing crash. You only get one life,

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:02 am

trailgumby wrote:Besides the fact that most people don't do first aid courses, shock and delayed impacts from the crash impair your judgement.
Not to mention the fact that shock on its own has the potential to kill you.

Paramedic staff are far better equipped to judge and they won't begrudge you the call-out.
Mandatory helmet law?

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:32 am

First things first, call cops, he left scene of accident.

As for ambo, you'll know in yourself if it was required or more importantly, when one isn't needed but if in doubt, call one(contentious here I see but as I live with an ED nurse, I hear what people do call them for and you'd be shocked and horrified.)

Hope he's ok , I think that motorists that don't ride bikes have no idea how to deal with them and either panic a bit or disregard them.

Anyway, best of luck !

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:23 am

WarbyD wrote:Most people are perfectly capable of assessing whether they require the urgent care provided by an ambulance following a minor accident and the emergency services have much more important things to worry about than helping you teach someone a lesson.
Wasn't there a relatively recent case of a well-known person or their partner who had a fall when skiing. They self-diagnosed that they where okay. She is dead now from the internal head-injury. Personally I wouldn't be so blasé about it all - for the cost/inconvenience of ambulance ... yep I will take it thanks.

And yes I have spent hours in emergency because of a scare which turned out to be nothing at the time. A pain yes; should I not have presented to hospital because I was "feeling better"? No. That would have been really DUMB. I was there for six hours for a good reason ... to be sure I was okay to go home.

Edit: TG has the posted the details of the skiing accident.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:36 am

My recent fall that has given me this broken collarbone - I thought I was OK...... well for a minute or so, until I realised that shoulder was really hurting now. But I had been knocked out for 1-2 minutes so at the hospital I was held there for observations for about 5 hours. I had no head injury symptoms and all was fine. But there was a reason for the observation period.
Mandatory helmet law?

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:38 am

I still don't understand the thinking of the injured. Why not report? I can't see any negatives by a short session at the Police Station. It'll benefit self as well as the community. Makes no sense.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.