A better cycling awareness campaign

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

A better cycling awareness campaign

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Top Line: I have you in view
Caption: With space, you arrive at your goal better

With the criticism of a current local Australian campaign, this does a lot of things well.

- shows peaceful co-existance
- demonstates repect / courtesy
- a simple, catchy but positive innuendo

A friend in Hamburg shared this with me - they are already miles ahead in cycling and cycling infrastructure so good to see their approach.
Cycling is in my BNA

Nobody

Re: A better cycling awareness campaign

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:47 pm

When I first read the top line, it first occurred to me to be send up of the NZ or South African accent. :D
"I'm beached is bru."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx_Y5OjStfY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, gone off topic from the first reply. :oops:

wilddemon

Postby wilddemon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:59 am

What current local campaign do you speak of? Obviously not too successful on the exposure front...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Cycling is in my BNA

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:59 am

So are you for or agaist the campaign by the AGF. As far as I can see base on the top poster they are both basedcon a coexistence theme
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:23 pm

It would appear the AGF campaign achieves that rare miix of being able to both suck and blow at the same time. The German campaign pushes equality, the AGF one does not.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Nobody wrote:When I first read the top line, it first occurred to me to be send up of the NZ or South African accent. :D
"I'm beached is bru."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx_Y5OjStfY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, gone off topic from the first reply. :oops:

very funny reply though, it didn't occur to me, but now you point it out :lol: :lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:32 pm

My view on the AGF campaign - I am in two minds, they have the size and resources to make a noise, so it is good that something is happening but am not sure the campaign approach is the best approach and wonder how effective the message will be.
Cycling is in my BNA

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:58 pm

AGF have really lost the plot. Say What does "Ride Rule No. 9 - Identify Yourself - Always Carry ID" have to do with safety for cyclists.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:18 pm

human909 wrote:AGF have really lost the plot. WT? does "Ride Rule No. 9 - Identify Yourself - Always Carry ID" have to do with safety for cyclists.
I think it has more to do with being able to throw something under car tyres and flipping them on their roofs like in the movies. Not sure if its physically possible but ill try it myself later today.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:20 pm

I think you mean IED, 2nd Womble :lol:

kb

Postby kb » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:32 pm

I thought it was:

RULE #9
// IF YOU ARE OUT RIDING IN BAD WEATHER, IT MEANS YOU ARE A BADASS. PERIOD.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:48 pm

trailgumby wrote:I think you mean IED, 2nd Womble :lol:
IWD?

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:32 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
trailgumby wrote:I think you mean IED, 2nd Womble :lol:
IWD?
Improvised Wallet Device?

I've found the WMD's, they're in my jersey pocket.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Bingo

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:57 pm

human909 wrote:does "Ride Rule 9
We have had two rides in the ladt couple of years in y he ACT who wrre found with no ID . On both occasions it took days to id and notify the families. Imagine if you were unable to speak in hospital. It makes sence to carry something and that part of the campaign.
James

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:50 pm

jcjordan wrote:
We have had two rides in the ladt couple of years in y he ACT who wrre found with no ID . On both occasions it took days to id and notify the families. Imagine if you were unable to speak in hospital. It makes sence to carry something and that part of the campaign.
Which has nothing to do making our roads safer.

Besides as I've said before if you feel the need to carry ID due to reason of ending up in hospital. Then the way your ride sounds awfully unsafe and risky.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:01 pm

human909 wrote:
jcjordan wrote:

Besides as I've said before if you feel the need to carry ID due to reason of ending up in hospital. Then the way your ride sounds awfully unsafe and risky.
+1. Hardly a cycling campaign that's going to promote cycling. What this says is "carry ID so that when you get hit by a car and are brain damaaged, we can ID you quicker" :roll:

Which Scandinavian country was it that promoted voluntary helmet wearing and found that cycling participation dropped as a result?

Prevention first please. That means encouraging culture change among drivers, better cycling facilities, and in NSW, turning around the attitude of the RMS to cycling from contain and control to foster and facilitate.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:33 am

I sympathise with the AGF campaign. we will not achieve the objective of being perceived by others as equals on the road if all we do is throw rotten fruit at motorists. it is psychology 1a that if you put your target audience (motorists) on the back foot, they will bare their teeth at you.

the Hamburg poster by AUB is also good, but I don't see much wrong with the AGF posters. they help show that cyclists do care about their own safety - something that many motorists have conveniently convinced themselves is not the case. in my view, this is important.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 am

human909 wrote:
jcjordan wrote:

The campaign isnt just about making the road safer, its about increasing safety for cyclists. Being able to ID someone quickly gives quicker access to medical records, ability to identify existing conditions, allergies and the like which in certain circumstances can lead to quicker and/or more effective treatment. Agree it isnt a direct link, but its still worthwhile IMO.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:46 am

Carrying of ID to me seems a no brainer for everyday activities, not just cycling.

But I guess I am not that paranoid.
James

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:26 pm

jcjordan wrote:Carrying of ID to me seems a no brainer for everyday activities, not just cycling.

It seems to me that mandatory registration would help with this a lot. It would allow cyclists to be easily identified. Perhaps AGF should be lobbying very strongly for this. It'd also appease the motoring lobby groups too and the media alike.

I'm thinking of registration for bicycles, pedestrians, etc. If a pedestrian crosses against a red light, then they can easily be identified by the registration plates or vest they must wear.
jules21 wrote:I sympathise with the AGF campaign. we will not achieve the objective of being perceived by others as equals on the road if all we do is throw rotten fruit at motorists. it is psychology 1a that if you put your target audience (motorists) on the back foot, they will bare their teeth at you.

the Hamburg poster by AUB is also good, but I don't see much wrong with the AGF posters. they help show that cyclists do care about their own safety - something that many motorists have conveniently convinced themselves is not the case. in my view, this is important.
They are nasty towards us. Perhaps if they weren't so aggressive, we wouldn't bare our teeth back at them. :wink: If we just roll over on our backs, they won't suddenly play nice either.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:38 pm

g-boaf wrote:
jcjordan wrote:Carrying of ID to me seems a no brainer for everyday activities, not just cycling.

It seems to me that mandatory registration would help with this a lot. It would allow cyclists to be easily identified. Perhaps AGF should be lobbying for this it. It'd also appease the motoring lobby groups too and the media alike.
You have just touched on one of those "special" cycling subjects that get threads to go for pages as there are so many different (and often opposing) opinions.

Of course the usual questions will come out like:
At what age do we start registering people/bikes?
Do we license/register the person or each of many bikes they may own?
How much will this all cost?
Will this be a (another) burden on the tax payer since it will probably be expensive to run?
Do we need number plates, and if so where are they to be displayed?
Will we need registration inspections each year?
Is it really going to subdue complaints from motorists, shock jocks, media?
Is it going to stop cyclists running red lights and breaking the law?
Should we register pedestrians since they get killed on the roads too?
Will it prevent cycling more than MHLs and therefore impact on the population's health?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:40 pm

g-boaf wrote:They are nasty towards us. Perhaps if they weren't so aggressive, we wouldn't bare our teeth back at them. :wink: If we just roll over on our backs, they won't suddenly play nice either.
it's not about rolling over, it's about demonstrating that we are responsible road users. I see cyclists as in some ways similar to other minority groups such as asylum seekers - we are different to non-cyclists (motorists), they don't trust or understand us, and it's easier to stereotype us in negative terms, such as law-breaking villains with no respect for anyone else.

there was a fantastic show on SBS about asylum seekers (go back to where you came from) which I didn't watch closely, but essentially it revolved around getting opponents of asylum seekers to walk a mile in their shoes. for the most part, their opinions changed markedly. what AGF is trying to do (I think) is present the responsible side of cycling to all road users. allowing people to empathise with a group they are otherwise ignorant of is a powerful way of encouraging them to also sympathise.

again, throwing rotten vegetables at bad drivers doesn't achieve that.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:04 pm

g-boaf wrote:

It seems to me that mandatory registration would help with this a lot. It would allow cyclists to be easily identified. Perhaps AGF should be lobbying very strongly for this. It'd also appease the motoring lobby groups too and the media alike.

I'm thinking of registration for bicycles, pedestrians, etc. If a pedestrian crosses against a red light, then they can easily be identified by the registration plates or vest they must wear.
jules21 wrote:I sympathise with the AGF campaign. we will not achieve the objective of being perceived by others as equals on the road if all we do is throw rotten fruit at motorists. it is psychology 1a that if you put your target audience (motorists) on the back foot, they will bare their teeth at you.

They are nasty towards us. Perhaps if they weren't so aggressive, we wouldn't bare our teeth back at them. :wink: If we just roll over on our backs, they won't suddenly play nice either.
How the hell did you find a relationship between carrying ID and registration?
James