UK: Abolish speed limits - but low speed limits in town

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

UK: Abolish speed limits - but low speed limits in town

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:27 pm

http://www.caradvice.com.au/228720/abol ... missioner/

This UK Commissioner proposes that speed limits be abolished, but in town, a blanket lower speed limit should be in place.

It's an interesting idea - and it might have benefits here in Australia with lower speed limits on suburban roads. I wonder if something like this, if we promoted it and pushed for it might make motorists happier?

If motorways were higher speed (eg, 150km/h+), it might necessitate the banning of bicycles from motorway breakdown shoulders.

I'd be for the lower speed limits, as the traffic outside my house does 70-80km/h - and some of it even does more than that.
Last edited by g-boaf on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giant TCR SL1 / Cervelo P5 Six / Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

by BNA » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:39 pm

BNA

Re: UK: Abolish speed limits - but low speed limits in town

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:39 pm

It won't happen in Britain and it certainly won't happen here. Every State Government's major revenue source would dry-up instantly for a start and it would be all downhill from there.
I do support revising speed limits though, getting rid of a few to avoid confusion, raising some, lowering others.
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
gorilla monsoon

Postby simonn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:52 pm

From the article:

UK motoring organisations have dismissed Bett’s comments, with the Guild of Experienced Motorists describing them as “just nonsense”.
simonn

Postby Howzat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:25 pm

Turns out that kinetic energy is proportional to the square of speed. So we should expect that higher speed (not just "speeding") shows up as a factor in the road toll stats. And it does!
Howzat

Postby Strawburger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:25 pm

Won't happen!

For a start 99% of high speed roads would need to be redesigned and reconstructed!

Most highways are designed for speeds between 100-130km/hr.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)
Strawburger

Postby high_tea » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:02 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:It won't happen in Britain and it certainly won't happen here. Every State Government's major revenue source would dry-up instantly for a start and it would be all downhill from there.

Nah. Traffic fines account for about $300 million in revenue here in Queensland. Fuel excise is about $3 billion. I understand the $300 million to be a gross figure, so it'd cost something to enforce the laws, collect the fines and so on. It's a sum that state governments wouldn't turn their noses up at, but (a) the change wouldn't reduce the revenue from fines to zero and (b) it wouldn't be catastrophic even if it did.
high_tea

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:02 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:It won't happen in Britain and it certainly won't happen here. Every State Government's major revenue source would dry-up instantly for a start and it would be all downhill from there.
I do support revising speed limits though, getting rid of a few to avoid confusion, raising some, lowering others.

If you are implying that limits are set too low for revenue rather than safety? The numbers and stats support the benefits of reducing even further and it is mostly the threat of public outcry that stops governments from doing so. And that seems to be on net effect of reduced revenue being more than offset by reduction in economic costs such as health, time off work, etc etc.

There is nothing but grief to raising limits in the metro area. Outside the metro area it is in my nature to drive faster if I was allowed. But 110kph in WA is pretty appropriate. About the only time that it would be of some signficance is the times that I have driven across the continent and, guess what, they are the times that I am tired and less responsive to the unexpected.

However there may be merit in an idea that was floated recently. It is that the police move away from instant readings in country roads such as you get from radar. In it's place is mooted point to point speed readings using the now available technology of cameras and plate recognition. That then adds an element of safety in that drivers could pass at a speed in excess of the posted limit when passing which is quite often the safest way to pass. Someone who then just likes passign lots of vehicles close to the limit would tend to still have a high reading, as would those who simply ignore the limit.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle
@Nov14 6,343km of 6,600. Rem 257 @5.5/day. Time to review the target methinks.
ColinOldnCranky

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed May 01, 2013 9:08 am

There is no way that this would be safe or logical in the UK (or in many oplaces

The proposal seems to suggest that there are two types of roads:

1. roads withing towns/cities (where speed limits should be reduced); and

2. motorways that have the potential for high (unrestricted??) speeds.

The reality is that there are a whole lot of roads that fall outside of both these definitions. There are millions of miles of roads in the UK that are country lanes/roadways passing through fields etc - neither 'village' roads but not even close to being suitable for high speeds. Many of these roads are many hundreds of years old, are narrow and winding - hell, most of them were laid out when the biggest vehicle was a two horse carriage.....

Then there is the whole issue of all the small towns/villages/houses/pubs etc that lie in random places along these roads - for anyone that has lived or traveled in the UK, once you get off the motorways there are dozens of little hamlets/villages/towns/settlements/old farm buildings along these roads - are those 'towns' or will they have unlimited speed limits?

The reality is that this is something that simply wouldn't work based on the types of roads. That doesn't event mention the road conditions (snow/ice/sleet, drizzling rain etc) that UK roads experience....
AndyTheMan

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy