LMAO :lol:
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

by BNA » Sat May 18, 2013 12:11 pm

BNA

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby brett.hooker » Sat May 18, 2013 12:11 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Initial design drafts. The new kit available fairly soon. One metre is simply not enough for us.

Counting down...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sat May 18, 2013 12:12 pm

The zob wrote:Can I get a 2m version? I'm pretty fat :lol:

Spat my lunch out.... That is awesome!!!
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
brett.hooker

Postby ozzymac » Sat May 18, 2013 12:15 pm

RonK wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:We've changed our position over the last six months. We simply have the last few items remaining before our New Jersey update.
If you live in Queensland, nearly all press in the last week has been 1.5.

I've posted previously my view that the AGF's one metre rule is inadequate, and I refuse to support it. Educate drivers that one metre is the minimum and that is what they'll give, regardless of the speed and conditions. This may be ok in low speed urban areas, but on the highway I don't want b-doubles passing me at 90kph only one metre away.

A quick Google shows that calls for a legislated minimum overtaking clearance around the world all nominate 1.5 metres. Quite a few EU countries and US states have already adopted this rule.

This minimum clearance rule would be in addition to existing rules requiring safe overtaking, not to replace it.

It seems that the cycling bodies are out of touch with the views of a great many cyclists.

So why isn't the other cycling group on board with 1.5m?

It just makes everyone look stupid when there are 2 different distances being spruked...

I agree with the 1.5m distance, even that's scary enough when bdouble trucks go past.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2
ozzymac

Postby InTheWoods » Sat May 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Marto wrote:
CatCanRide wrote:http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national/watch/17220979/cyclists-campaign-for-road-room/

Link for the 7 News Report for anyone interested.

Also on youtube if that in-house video doesn't work http://youtu.be/yTWOLG_7j48

I was looking to see if anything about the petition got into mainstream TV. Nup. Still dumb TV for dumb people.

That was a really crap story by Ch 7 :( Angry now. The only 2 motorists they put on were "cyclists don't obey the road rules" and "its annoying when a cyclist is in the way".

Sigh.
InTheWoods

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat May 18, 2013 1:59 pm

InTheWoods wrote:The only 2 motorists they put on were "cyclists don't obey the road rules" and "its annoying when a cyclist is in the way".

Drivers don't obey them aswell. Also, Isn't it annoying when drivers get in the way? *coughStLuciacoughcough* :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby ldrcycles » Sat May 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Could also say to the bloke in that video, 'if drivers weren't killing over 1,000 people every year, then maybe they'd have more rights'.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat May 18, 2013 2:19 pm

I simply don't care to comment any further on anything regarding the AGF. As for why some are still pushing for less than 1.5, ask them.

The 2nd Womble

Postby Marto » Sat May 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:The only 2 motorists they put on were "cyclists don't obey the road rules" and "its annoying when a cyclist is in the way".

Drivers don't obey them aswell. Also, Isn't it annoying when drivers get in the way? *coughStLuciacoughcough* :lol:

And on their way to St. Lucia (did someone order a car in the way and disobeying road rules?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRJ4mgjxG2U
Marto

Postby jcjordan » Sat May 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Guys just a question in regards to Queensland and the relationship between drivers and cyclists.

I have been watching the comment section in the papers in relation to the ride and is vicious to say the least.

Even what I see coming out in the local Canberra Times, SMH and Advertiser (even during the TDU) is in no way as nasty.

Is there something in particular that created this or is it just a peculiarity of the locality.

I have only ridden in Qld once and I did not see anything this bad but maybe my local guide kept me to the friendly areas.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan

Postby The zob » Sat May 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Queenslanders are second only to Terrortorians when it comes to self percieved attacks on their God given right to do anything they want :wink: Look at the bright side....it dovetails nicely into the anti-MHL argument for Queensland cyclists. :lol:
I AM NOT AN ANIMAL!!!!!!! LOL
The zob

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat May 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Even Joe Mizereck himself has supported 1.5m (5ft) for the last 3+ years.
http://road.cc/content/news/10940-us-3f ... o-likewise

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat May 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Queensland is the worst state in the nation. Never forget that. Remember 2010, the year we lost 8 cyclists in 3 months to unsafe or reckless driving? Yup, that's Queensland, and that's the community which our governments represent so well.

The 2nd Womble

Postby Marto » Sat May 18, 2013 3:33 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Queensland is the worst state in the nation. Never forget that. Remember 2010, the year we lost 8 cyclists in 3 months to unsafe or reckless driving? Yup, that's Queensland, and that's the community which our governments represent so well.

It isn't a pretty picture. Latest statistics from Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads: https://www.webcrash.transport.qld.gov. ... dsense.pdf
Marto

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat May 18, 2013 3:52 pm

Won't open

The 2nd Womble

Postby Marto » Sat May 18, 2013 4:13 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Won't open

It is a PDF file. Try this URL link, or cut and paste this URL: https://www.webcrash.transport.qld.gov.au/webcrash2/external/daupage/weekly/roadsense.pdf

It should be the first result from a google seach for "roadsense.pdf".
Marto

Postby dontazame » Sun May 19, 2013 10:10 am

Post by jcjordan

Is there something in particular that created this or is it just a peculiarity of the locality.

The high population growth rate has outpaced infrastructure / the good old days.
dontazame

Postby jcjordan » Sun May 19, 2013 11:09 am

dontazame wrote:
Post by jcjordan

The high population growth rate has outpaced infrastructure / the good old days.

Thats a common problem across Australia.

I guess yhe difference in place like Canberra, Adelaide and Melbourne is that some of the priorities have directed towards non car transport
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun May 19, 2013 12:01 pm

Actually Brisbane has spent obscene amounts on public transport over recent years including a rather impressive bus network, but that cost is now being passed onto the user which means the cost of catching g public transport in this city is driving people back behind the wheel again.

The 2nd Womble

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun May 19, 2013 12:39 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Actually Brisbane has spent obscene amounts on public transport over recent years including a rather impressive bus network, but that cost is now being passed onto the user which means the cost of catching g public transport in this city is driving people back behind the wheel again.

Not entirely correct. There has been a lot of new infrastructure but the BCC has still half assed the bus routes in trying to give everyone a one seat trip to their destination because they seem to think that people hate interchanging (I take it no one in BCC has been out of state or overseas before :P). My local bus has been the same since the 90's with the only thing that has changed is that there is an extra 3 in the title (same hourly frequency as the 35A was :P) and that was in a time where the BCC designed its bus network and routes so people caught their buses instead of catching the train (that's changed now as Translink sets the prices and collects all the revenue and only pays the operators a fixed amount). The BCC keeps maintaining a poor bus network at a very high expense that no one wants to use and when any moves by Translink to reduce costs, provide a better service and allow more people to catch public transport the BCC and its members put fear into the public that they will lose their local bus (which was true but their local bus was usually replaced with a newer, better and more frequent service with a different route number so they still had a local service - its just it was a different route number which might have terminated at a bus interchange station or at a train station instead of going all the way to the city) which is what has happened these past few months. BCC was the only public transport operator in SEQ not to help Translink with input into designing a better and cheaper PT network. Since Translink gave the review back to them the BCC is now crying that their costs will go up to something like 400-600million in a couple years. The downside is that because of the poor planning by the BCC Translink has to increase the fares across the entire network to offset the money wasted by the BCC and their poor network design. Sorry if its a long reply but I was really looking forward to having a better bus to get to and from the local Westfield shopping centre :P
Lukeyboy

Postby Rhubarb » Sun May 19, 2013 4:43 pm

Rhubarb

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun May 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Good video mate. Got a link? I'll put it on our FB page and the website.

The 2nd Womble

Postby Rhubarb » Sun May 19, 2013 7:05 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Good video mate. Got a link? I'll put it on our FB page and the website.

http://youtu.be/cmX-LpYtv3o
Rhubarb

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun May 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Sorted!

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon May 20, 2013 9:23 pm

We have hit a bit of a snag in NSW. Your government does not currently allow for the tabling of online or E-petitions in the Legislative Assembly.
We are awaiting a response from our NSW volunteer as to whether they are still prepared to paper petition your state.
Paper petitions are incredibly difficult to organise and oversee, and we are looking at a 5 month petition span in an attempt to gain greatest the number of signatures possible. As a result, what we are asking for in whoever is game enough is a heck of a lot.
To this end we have drafted a NSW-specific online petition via Getup which will be presented on the most appropriate coinciding sitting date to that of the Qld parliament.
Our volunteer has first dibs on the petition at this stage, but if you live in NSW and would be prepared to take charge of this action, please email us at [email protected] . Should our volunteer decide to to proceed with the petition in this format, you will be required to sign off as the petitioner, be prepared to deal with the odd radio and print media interview, and deal with questions that you will be sent by your supporters. You will receive the odd email from us, but the petition will, for the most part, take care of itself.
If you're interested in helping us effect national change and are prepared to help us submit the new petition in the next week, drop us a line. We'd live to hear from you.

The 2nd Womble

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy