QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri May 24, 2013 3:25 pm

:) ...
Last edited by The 2nd Womble on Fri May 24, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

by BNA » Fri May 24, 2013 3:28 pm

BNA
 

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby ozzymac » Fri May 24, 2013 3:28 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:FCS... 1.5 metres. 1 metre is NEVER enough for Qld cyclists! http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/polls/q ... .html#poll

Some of the comments being left on that site are just so frustrating... Always the same sort of moron motorists posting the same old bogan comments.


Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
ozzymac
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby Ken Ho » Sat May 25, 2013 11:32 am

I'm not sure if I'm dreaming, but I think a combination of the publicity given to the Pollett/Roneberg tragedies and the petition, as well as teh backlash against the silly Twitter woman, but on my ride today, I had a totally different feeling about how motorists were treating me. I didn't get elbow shaved once on a route that frequently scares the blazes out of me.
Pretty much every car moved over to at least teh centre line, if not the other lane, givinng me at least 2 metres.
A few slowed to avoid overtaking until it was safe, and I got a few waves back in return for the grateful waves I gave people. I only had one car not deviate from his course, as he passed at a little under a metre. I even saw one Cruiser ute push over to the centre line, pushing the on-coming car onto their shoulder, instead of me onto mine.
Maybe I am dreaming, maybe it was just a different time of day, but I hope not.
In any case, I want to express my gratitude again to David for his efforts recently and to everyone else who signed the petition.
If I only get one relaxed, safe feeling rider out of it, I'm grateful for that, but I really got the feeling that things might be changing for the better, at least for a little while.
You have officially become your parents.
Ken Ho
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:28 pm
Location: Pikey, based on Southern Gold Coast

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby Pax » Sat May 25, 2013 11:45 am

Rode past Richard's ghost bike on a ride with Samford Vellos today. Sad sight.
User avatar
Pax
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast, Qld

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat May 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Ken Ho wrote:I'm not sure if I'm dreaming, but I think a combination of the publicity given to the Pollett/Roneberg tragedies and the petition, as well as teh backlash against the silly Twitter woman, but on my ride today, I had a totally different feeling about how motorists were treating me. I didn't get elbow shaved once on a route that frequently scares the blazes out of me.
Pretty much every car moved over to at least teh centre line, if not the other lane, givinng me at least 2 metres.
A few slowed to avoid overtaking until it was safe, and I got a few waves back in return for the grateful waves I gave people. I only had one car not deviate from his course, as he passed at a little under a metre. I even saw one Cruiser ute push over to the centre line, pushing the on-coming car onto their shoulder, instead of me onto mine.
Maybe I am dreaming, maybe it was just a different time of day, but I hope not.
In any case, I want to express my gratitude again to David for his efforts recently and to everyone else who signed the petition.
If I only get one relaxed, safe feeling rider out of it, I'm grateful for that, but I really got the feeling that things might be changing for the better, at least for a little while.

I hope it continues Ken. I appreciate the kind words, but everyone who's signed is as responsible for your ride today as I am. Bruce Flegg even more so. I have a meeting with him on Wednesday arvo and will thank him personally on behalf of all of us so far.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat May 25, 2013 2:22 pm

Just so as to help the numbers along a bit and inspire everyone - not quite sure how yet - this is Bruce the Jackelope. Bruce is our newly acquired SCA mascot. You'll be seeing a lot more of this guy. He should be winging his way over from Sydney on Monday.
Image
If anyone knows where to get hold of a black and yellow scarf, let me know.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby Rhubarb » Sat May 25, 2013 4:40 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:If anyone knows where to get hold of a black and yellow scarf, let me know.


Think Richmond AFL team ....
Rhubarb
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Brisbane Times" wrote:Transport Minister Scott Emerson said the petition would be considered, but there were currently no plans to change rules regarding overtaking cyclists.
“Any petition lodged will be considered, however a fixed distance raises a number of issues such as making it illegal for cyclists to move slowly and closely past queued vehicles,” he said.

Do they have lead pipes affecting the drinking water in Parliament House up there? Is this guy intellectually impaired?

How exactly does enacting a minimum distance for motor vehicles passing cyclists stop cyclists from passing motor vehicles at a closer distance?

Sounds like he's setting up a straw man argument so that cyclists will say "Oh Noes! We don't want to lose that!" and will back off.

Tosser. :x
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10309
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby Rhubarb » Sat May 25, 2013 4:55 pm

Minimum passing distance laws exist in 27 countries around the world. All of the objections put up are just bogus.
Rhubarb
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby high_tea » Sat May 25, 2013 5:39 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Brisbane Times" wrote:Transport Minister Scott Emerson said the petition would be considered, but there were currently no plans to change rules regarding overtaking cyclists.
“Any petition lodged will be considered, however a fixed distance raises a number of issues such as making it illegal for cyclists to move slowly and closely past queued vehicles,” he said.

Do they have lead pipes affecting the drinking water in Parliament House up there? Is this guy intellectually impaired?

How exactly does enacting a minimum distance for motor vehicles passing cyclists stop cyclists from passing motor vehicles at a closer distance?

Sounds like he's setting up a straw man argument so that cyclists will say "Oh Noes! We don't want to lose that!" and will back off.

Tosser. :x

I think his argument is even more bogus than that. The argument seems to be "a badly drafted minimum passing distance law would be a Bad Thing". Sure, I guess so. The answer is to draft it properly. Which is the legislature's job, not the petitioners' job. I can accept that it's not trivial, but it's not exactly hard either. It's a ridiculous objection. It's not quite as ridiculous as "But it's an ARR, we can't just go changing it" (which was one of the objections the last time this got petitioned for, but it's pretty close.
high_tea
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat May 25, 2013 6:33 pm

The Jackelope is NOT a Richmond supporter!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat May 25, 2013 6:42 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Brisbane Times" wrote:Transport Minister Scott Emerson said the petition would be considered, but there were currently no plans to change rules regarding overtaking cyclists.
“Any petition lodged will be considered, however a fixed distance raises a number of issues such as making it illegal for cyclists to move slowly and closely past queued vehicles,” he said.

Do they have lead pipes affecting the drinking water in Parliament House up there? Is this guy intellectually impaired?

How exactly does enacting a minimum distance for motor vehicles passing cyclists stop cyclists from passing motor vehicles at a closer distance?

Sounds like he's setting up a straw man argument so that cyclists will say "Oh Noes! We don't want to lose that!" and will back off.

Tosser. :x

That's Part 1. Part 2 is "Show us some pie charts and parabolic graphy stuff which shows that this law works", knowing that there are none and that safe passing distances are a part of the greater picture. That those politicians have introduced such measures as this and Strict Liability because morally it is the right thing to do because a human life is so precious, is beyond them. Our politicians. - and in particular this current Qld government - only plan for maybe one to two terms in office. We have the least forward thinking public servants in the western world.
The new Thirty Year plan for our state is focusing on the states roads in the long term, but ONLY to ensure that our mines can be serviced effectively, and that our Q Fleet Chaufer driven cars can ferry the Ministers home as quickly as possible from. The airport or the office (Bruce Flegg excepted).
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby Pax » Sat May 25, 2013 6:58 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Minimum passing distance laws exist in 27 countries around the world. All of the objections put up are just bogus.


Interesting...I wonder if there is any correlation to lower cycling fatalities per capita in relevant circumstances (ie vehicles passing cyclists)??

Maybe there is a part answer to your statement below in this Womble?? Not sure how to search for such evidence...sounds like the kind of research that you might hope a cycling advocacy group like BQ, or AGF might invest in.


The 2nd Womble wrote: "Show us some pie charts and parabolic graphy stuff which shows that this law works", knowing that there are none and that safe passing distances are a part of the greater picture. That those politicians have introduced such measures as this and Strict Liability because morally it is the right thing to do because a human life is so precious, is beyond them. Our politicians. - and in particular this current Qld government - only plan for maybe one to two terms in office. We have the least forward thinking public servants in the western world.
The new Thirty Year plan for our state is focusing on the states roads in the long term, but ONLY to ensure that our mines can be serviced effectively, and that our Q Fleet Chaufer driven cars can ferry the Ministers home as quickly as possible from. The airport or the office (Bruce Flegg excepted).
User avatar
Pax
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast, Qld

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat May 25, 2013 7:03 pm

BQ show absolutely no interest in road safety at all Pax. Don't even get them started in passing distances, they'll just point you towards the nearest shared pathway.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 25, 2013 7:22 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
trailgumby wrote:
Brisbane Times" wrote:Transport Minister Scott Emerson said the petition would be considered, but there were currently no plans to change rules regarding overtaking cyclists.
“Any petition lodged will be considered, however a fixed distance raises a number of issues such as making it illegal for cyclists to move slowly and closely past queued vehicles,” he said.

Do they have lead pipes affecting the drinking water in Parliament House up there? Is this guy intellectually impaired?

How exactly does enacting a minimum distance for motor vehicles passing cyclists stop cyclists from passing motor vehicles at a closer distance?

Sounds like he's setting up a straw man argument so that cyclists will say "Oh Noes! We don't want to lose that!" and will back off.

Tosser. :x

That's Part 1. Part 2 is "Show us some pie charts and parabolic graphy stuff which shows that this law works", knowing that there are none and that safe passing distances are a part of the greater picture. That those politicians have introduced such measures as this and Strict Liability because morally it is the right thing to do because a human life is so precious, is beyond them. Our politicians. - and in particular this current Qld government - only plan for maybe one to two terms in office. We have the least forward thinking public servants in the western world.
The new Thirty Year plan for our state is focusing on the states roads in the long term, but ONLY to ensure that our mines can be serviced effectively, and that our Q Fleet Chaufer driven cars can ferry the Ministers home as quickly as possible from. The airport or the office (Bruce Flegg excepted).

So the answer is yes.

You need to warn Bruce Flegg take his own water. ;)
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10309
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby oxonabike » Thu May 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Not sure where to put this, but here is an unexpectedly positive story from the historically anti cycling Cairns Post. 12 Tour coaches with the 1.5 safe passing distance signs emblazoned on the back.
Image
User avatar
oxonabike
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:47 pm
Location: Cairns, QLD

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu May 30, 2013 9:11 pm

oxonabike wrote:Not sure where to put this, but here is an unexpectedly positive story from the historically anti cycling Cairns Post. 12 Tour coaches with the 1.5 safe passing distance signs emblazoned on the back.

Where have you been Boof?! The CP has had a cycling safety campaign running in Cairns for 2 weeks. It's been massive so far :)
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu May 30, 2013 9:15 pm

On another note... @7pm tonight:
Image
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu May 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Crap. 5000 signatures! BOOM!!!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby winstonw » Thu May 30, 2013 9:22 pm

please explain womble2
User avatar
winstonw
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu May 30, 2013 10:05 pm

Explain what?
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu May 30, 2013 10:23 pm

Holy crap :P
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2280
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 30, 2013 11:05 pm

Image

Keep at it Dave, don't let up until you've got over 9000 :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25815
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:32 am

Mulger bill wrote:Image

Keep at it Dave, don't let up until you've got over 9000 :D

Shaun

Thanks MB.
So as to bump things along, expect to see a fair few of these on the counter at your local café or bike shop over the next few weeks.
Image
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby darkelf921 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:55 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Image

Keep at it Dave, don't let up until you've got over 9000 :D

Shaun

Thanks MB.
So as to bump things along, expect to see a fair few of these on the counter at your local café or bike shop over the next few weeks.
Image


If you could send me the electronic copy, I'll print them out and ask my LBS to place them on their counter as well.
Image
My YouTube channel http://goo.gl/UlJrkN
User avatar
darkelf921
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:03 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit