Cyclist down - Collingwood, truck 11 May 2013

ColinOldnCranky

Cyclist down - Collingwood, truck 11 May 2013

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat May 11, 2013 10:29 am

Just heard over the ABC that a cyclist and a truck collided in the wee hours of this morning.

Apparently, and it is early days, the cyclist was turning travelling north along Smith Street in Collingood at 1 am. A truck driving the same direction turned west (left) at Alexandra parade over him.

The truck did not stop.
Police are looking for a truck that they believe cut-off a cyclist and then ran him over at Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Officers have been told that a 41-year-old Thornbury cyclist was riding north along Smith Street at about 1.20am when he approached Alexandra Parade.
A truck was travelling in the same direction and turned in front of the cyclist to head west.
The rider went underneath the truck’s rear tray and was run over by the back wheels.
Advertisement
The truck is described as white with a tip tray. The truck continued along Alexandra Parade and did not stop at the collision.
The cyclist was taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital with serious injuiries. A spokeswoman said his condition was stable.
Police wish to speak to anyone who may have witnessed the incident or who can identify the truck or driver involved.
Anyone with any information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/truck ... z2SwIscSwZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No idea how what has been reported is known and it is early reporting and it is unwise to draw dogmatic and firm conclusions.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/truck ... 2je9r.html
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Sun May 12, 2013 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Bob_TAS

Re: Cyclist down - Collingwood, truck 11 May 2013

Postby Bob_TAS » Sat May 11, 2013 10:34 am

Not another one. This is getting out of hand. :cry:

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat May 11, 2013 10:41 am

After an incident with a MM on Friday morning (undercut me through an intersection) I'm rolling with both cameras recording. I was leaving them off in the early hours of my commute due to the footage being ordinary to say the least
2012 Oppy A4

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 11, 2013 10:47 am

What are you running again, Kona? My GoPros are surprisingly good, so long as there is street lighting.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:14 pm

i hope the cyclist wasn't too seriously injured, although it doesn't sound great.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sat May 11, 2013 12:58 pm

What do you expect when based on recent precedent it's legal to run over cyclists :S I really hope the rider makes a full and speedy recovery.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat May 11, 2013 2:52 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:What do you expect when based on recent precedent it's legal to run over cyclists :S I really hope the rider makes a full and speedy recovery.
The driver made a reasoned decision to run a rider over.

And to make a reasoned decision then he has known the rider was there and so certainly would have realised therefore that he had hit the rider.

Yeah, right!

Anyway, based on said precedent then he would surely make a reasoned decision to stick around rather than risk penalty for failing to stop and render assistance.

I am angry too about the Qld tragedy and it's legal outcome. But this is another case in another state. Can we just wait and see what develops on this one pls?

human909

Postby human909 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:49 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Anyway, based on said precedent then he would surely make a reasoned decision to stick around rather than risk penalty for failing to stop and render assistance.
What penalty? Time and time again the police either fail to follow up hit and runs or when they do they normally are happy to accept "What cyclist? I wasn't aware I hit a cyclist." excuse.

A friend was hit and run by a van and trailer and the police have repeated refused to pursue the matter or even supply a police report of the reported incident. :roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 11, 2013 7:51 pm

human909 wrote:A friend was hit and run by a van and trailer and the police have repeated refused to pursue the matter or even supply a police report of the reported incident. :roll:
Shoulda told 'em that the MM was doing circle work with a UDL in one hand and a scoob in the other.

(There isn't an eyeroll smiley sarcastic enough :( )
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat May 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Surely there must be cameras around that area and traffic would have been lighter than a peak hour time.

This really pisses me off.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed May 15, 2013 3:10 pm

I'm surprised that there hasn't been some developments reported here bearing on mind that they had a description of the vehicle. Someone usually dobs .

Anyone heard anything?