Adam Spencer for sainthood

schroeds

Adam Spencer for sainthood

Postby schroeds » Tue May 21, 2013 9:57 pm

This morning Tracey Gaudry from Amy Gillett Foundation was interviewed by Adam Spencer on ABC 702.

Details and podcast http://blogs.abc.net.au/nsw/2013/05/cal ... _breakfast along with some good comments discussion.

In response, Adam received the predictable hate texts, one of which he read out along the lines of "99% of cyclists ignore road rules and until they change that there's no discussion" etc blah blah and Adam responded with the most well reasoned supportive commentary I've heard in the media about how that sort of statement is wrong and how motorists have a duty to be careful around cyclists..for everybody's sake, how a car might be inconvenienced by a cyclist but a cyclist can be killed by a car. Unfortunately I don't know how to access audio of that comment which took place after the interview was over.

Thank you Adam, you may have saved lives this morning.
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

The 2nd Womble

Re: Adam Spencer for sainthood

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue May 21, 2013 10:27 pm

It's really annoying me that the events in Qld have brought a renewed national focus to this, and yet nobody gives a toss as to the fact Qld cyclists are unanimously chasing 1.5, not 1 metre. It's a tad wrong when the cycling safety hotspot and the needs of its cyclists are left out of the reporting on this. The 1.5 petition gaining 4100 signatures in 9 days and climbing steadily, the support of the RACQ, Cairns' own newspaper starting a 1.5 road safety campaign, and those not up to speed or involved here at ground zero want to send the nation a different message? Come on now!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Tue May 21, 2013 11:30 pm

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed May 22, 2013 12:08 am

Ok, what am I missing in this file? It keeps looping back after the first minute or so.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed May 22, 2013 1:21 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:Ok, what am I missing in this file? It keeps looping back after the first minute or so.
right-click and save as an mp3 file, you shouldn't have any problems then?
Didn't hear anything about the text message, must have been later on.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Wed May 22, 2013 8:22 am

Yes it was a comment right at the end of the show. I wish it could be found but unlikely to be available unless the entire show is recorded.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed May 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Well, he's no saint, I'll tell you that for free, but he has been and possibly still is a keen cyclist - has done the Sydney to Woollongong ride a few times, did a cycle tour of Tasmania etc.

He's also fearsomely intelligent and when not trying to play the ass can be very thoughtful. Chapeau!

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed May 22, 2013 4:28 pm

I tried the podcast again this morning on the laptop and sure enough as a software update came through at about the 3 minute mark it jumped back to the start again. Was there any mention of the QLD petition?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 22, 2013 6:25 pm

Guess.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed May 22, 2013 6:48 pm

trailgumby wrote:Guess.
Ah, we'll in that case I guessed correctly as soon as I heard who the interview was with.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Wed May 22, 2013 7:32 pm

:?: Are these slightly obtuse comments about the 1.5m campaign in QLD and the fact that the Amy Gillet position is for 1m?

OK there might be different positions out there on the clearance, and that in itself deserves debate...but surely everybody is pulling in the same direction in general terms? Do I get the impression there's some cycnicism about the Amy Gillet foundation? Can you expand on that?

Without knowing the ins and outs of the debate - if there is one - I'd much rather have 1.5m and would much rather it was law. But if that's not going to happen for whatever reason, I'll take whatever extra margin of safety I can get.

What am I wading into here :shock:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu May 23, 2013 6:41 am

Rather than some arbitrary, un-measurable (in the real traffic world) distance rule, I'd much rather that motorists were required, by law, to not hit cyclists and allow a good measure for safety.... speed-dependent, situation-dependent. And such a rule was strongly enforced by those who are supposed to protect us, the good police force in blue.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu May 23, 2013 7:47 am

il padrone wrote:Rather than some arbitrary, un-measurable (in the real traffic world) distance rule, I'd much rather that motorists were required, by law, to not hit cyclists and allow a good measure for safety.... speed-dependent, situation-dependent. And such a rule was strongly enforced by those who are supposed to protect us, the good police force in blue.
So now you want safe overtaking AND for cyclists not to be hit?! You're a moron! Not possible! Sarcasm!

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Thu May 23, 2013 8:41 am

Yes its definitely unsettling to know vehicles are allowed to - oops - hit and kill a cyclist with no legal repercussions :(