How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby il padrone » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:05 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Lies, damned lies and statistics. I heard a bloke this morning on Background Briefing from the Australian Taxi Industry Council telling us that taxi customers are more satisfied with the service than they used to be and that they are generally satisfied.

I know that if I stand at a set of lights for a time the number of riders jumping lights will be many while there will be very few or no cars doing the same.


Try counting motorists:
- Squeezing across after the lights have changed to red -much less obvious but very numerous,
- Talking/texting on mobile phones while driving - 90%+ in many areas,
- Crossing the double white line when overtaking, turning or doing U-turns,
- Failing to stop on stop signs and failing to give way correctly at roundabouts,

And the ever increasing disease:

- Failing to indicate lane changes or turns - almost everyone seems to have this nasty little habit.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18376
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

by BNA » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:09 pm

BNA
 

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:09 pm

You mean all the motoring sins that can't be detected electronically for later invoicing?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25778
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby schroeds » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Here's how NOT to correct common cycling 'misconceptions'

Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian
User avatar
schroeds
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby rheicel » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:47 pm

il padrone wrote:Try counting motorists:
- Squeezing across after the lights have changed to red -much less obvious but very numerous,
- Talking/texting on mobile phones while driving - 90%+ in many areas,
- Crossing the double white line when overtaking, turning or doing U-turns,
- Failing to stop on stop signs and failing to give way correctly at roundabouts,

And the ever increasing disease:

- Failing to indicate lane changes or turns - almost everyone seems to have this nasty little habit.

There is a bit of exaggeration here.
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby VRE » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:45 pm

schroeds wrote:Here's how NOT to correct common cycling 'misconceptions'


Pete Dowe is an idiot. He's a self-proclaimed "road safety advocate", but has demonstrated numerous times his clear bias against cyclists.
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby VRE » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:47 pm

rheicel wrote:
il padrone wrote:Try counting motorists:
- Squeezing across after the lights have changed to red -much less obvious but very numerous,
- Talking/texting on mobile phones while driving - 90%+ in many areas,
- Crossing the double white line when overtaking, turning or doing U-turns,
- Failing to stop on stop signs and failing to give way correctly at roundabouts,

And the ever increasing disease:

- Failing to indicate lane changes or turns - almost everyone seems to have this nasty little habit.

There is a bit of exaggeration here.

I don't see any exaggeration. il padrone's description describes Australian motorists pretty accurately, I think.
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby Ross » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:46 am

Discussing these misconceptions with motorists/non-cyclists usually doesn't get the point across I find as people have their firmly entrenched views and won't let little things like facts get in the way of a good misinformed rant.

My very amateur observations of human pyschology leads me to believe that most people want to be similar to each other to a certain degree and subconciously imitate each other. An example of this is at pedestrian traffic lights that are red. There might be say 10 people standing there waqiting for it to turn green and one person will ignore the light and walk across and next minute pretty much everyone is doing this. So if we as cyclists can ride around and uphold the law and ride safely wherever possible hopefully this behaviour will be followed by other cyclists. And if the peds and motorists see that cyclists are law abiding and safe then hopefully it will change their perception of us and also in turn cause them to display the same behaviour when they walk/drive.
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby VRE » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:31 am

Ross wrote:Discussing these misconceptions with motorists/non-cyclists usually doesn't get the point across I find as people have their firmly entrenched views and won't let little things like facts get in the way of a good misinformed rant.

So I'm misinformed because I agree with il padrone? :roll: I've been cycling my whole life, and have observed exactly what he describes, and so I agree with him.
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:10 am

rheicel wrote:
il padrone wrote:Try counting motorists:
- Squeezing across after the lights have changed to red -much less obvious but very numerous,
- Talking/texting on mobile phones while driving - 90%+ in many areas,
- Crossing the double white line when overtaking, turning or doing U-turns,
- Failing to stop on stop signs and failing to give way correctly at roundabouts,

And the ever increasing disease:

- Failing to indicate lane changes or turns - almost everyone seems to have this nasty little habit.

There is a bit of exaggeration here.

Which rule-breaking behaviour do you think I'm exaggerating ??

Because I observe all of these, frequently, while riding and while driving. Squeezing the red and overtaking across double-lines are probably the worst.


Ross wrote:Discussing these misconceptions with motorists/non-cyclists usually doesn't get the point across I find as people have their firmly entrenched views and won't let little things like facts get in the way of a good misinformed rant.

I hope you are not accusing me of being "misinformed" :|
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18376
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:35 am

I think he's talking about misinformed people ranting about cyclists. That's the way I read it anyway.
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:38 am

VRE wrote:Pete Dowe is an idiot. He's a self-proclaimed "road safety advocate", but has demonstrated numerous times his clear bias against cyclists.

You have described him succinctly I believe
http://petedoweroadsafetyadvocate.blogspot.com.au/2010/10/bicycle-victoria-around-bay-in-day.html
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:57 am

So, the Australian Motor Enthusiasts Party can win a Senate seat. Where is the pro-cycling party? Attitudes are not going to be changed unless there is a political influence.

Maybe we could give Dave Sharp a scrub and a new suit. :) Only three years to the next election.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5340
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby rebilda » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:52 pm

Answes to all the questions, here.

http://albertmcwilliams.com/post/540159 ... ll-someone
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2
User avatar
rebilda
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:19 pm

RonK wrote:Maybe we could give Dave Sharp a scrub and a new suit. :) Only three years to the next election.

Who needs a suit? He just needs to be able to toss kangaroo poo :P :roll:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18376
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:24 pm

il padrone wrote:
RonK wrote:Maybe we could give Dave Sharp a scrub and a new suit. :) Only three years to the next election.

Who needs a suit? He just needs to be able to toss kangaroo poo :P :roll:

My fellow constituents, you know that isn't an issue.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:32 pm

I actually just took a screen shot of that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:40 pm

And again, another Woe Is Me thread that peters out once cyclists realise that to be heard one must first speak. We don't even mumble for fear of a response.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby find_bruce » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:58 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:And again, another Woe Is Me thread that peters out once cyclists realise that to be heard one must first speak. We don't even mumble for fear of a response.

Its the same over on the Volvo Owners forum - how do we make people understand we are not just old people wearing bowling hats & the bowls clubs wanting to portray themselves as young and hip & not just full of Volvo drivers :wink:
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3717
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How do we correct common cycling-related misconceptions?

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:00 pm

find_bruce wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:And again, another Woe Is Me thread that peters out once cyclists realise that to be heard one must first speak. We don't even mumble for fear of a response.

Its the same over on the Volvo Owners forum - how do we make people understand we are not just old people wearing bowling hats & the bowls clubs wanting to portray themselves as young and hip & not just full of Volvo drivers :wink:

Start yelling at more cyclists.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Previous

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ironhanglider



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit