The sad, sad state of road bicycle infrastructure in QLD

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

The sad, sad state of road bicycle infrastructure in QLD

Postby sumgy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:32 am

I have been warring with the Main Roads Dept regarding parking being allowed in a stretch of Bike Lane at Albany Creek.
They have told me that as there is no yellow line the cars can park there.
I checked and apparently all a Bike Lane sign does in QLD is.......ummmm.........well.......nothing at all.
The true meaning of it is that it is a bicycle lane and is not to be used for driving in by motorised vehicles.
But they can park in it as long as there is no yellow line.
So in reality we have no road based bicycle infrastructure in QLD full stop despite all of the hard work and wins that we are told about by our advocacy groups.

The area I am trying to have fixed in Albany Creek sees cyclists coming downhill in a 70km/h zone when they are often confronted by cars parked in the bike lane outside of a skate park.
They are then forced to try and move out into often heavy traffic.
Main Roads has told me that it is not possible to make this no parking as users of the reserve need somewhere to park.
Apparently having somewhere for skaters to park is more important than the danger to the bike lane users from having to move out into fast flowing traffic.
The Reserve that Main Roads mentions is a large park behind the skate park that is bounded by 2 other significantly quieter streets where cars could park.
sumgy

by BNA » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:31 pm

BNA

Re: The sad, sad state of road bicycle infrastructure in QLD

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Something else to add to my (and your?) submission to the Inquiry into Cycling Issues. Deadline for submissions is in July.
InTheWoods

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy