Driver caused cyclist's death: coroneri

lobstermash
Posts: 1426
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Driver caused cyclist's death: coroneri

Postby lobstermash » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:38 pm

Even more people would drive illegally if they had to pass regular driving tests. The number of unlicenced drivers and unregistered and unroadworthy cars driving around is frightening already (estimated to be at least 10% in some states).

Some serious penalties for killing cyclists is long overdue, coupled with an advertising campaign to let the public know about them, would go a long way toward making drivers pay more attention to drivers.

With pathetic slaps on the wrist as seen in this article, drivers seem to be better off killing cyclists they hit (penalties on par with drink driving charges) than injuring them (same penalty, but increased CTP premiums).
Image

User avatar
exadios
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:07 am
Location: Melville, WA
Contact:

Re: Driver caused cyclist's death: coroneri

Postby exadios » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Ross wrote:
exadios wrote:Time for me to get my favorite hobby horse out, saddle her up and take her for a spin. In my view in order to drive all license holders should take, and pass, a test on a periodic basis - say once every year or two. No pass - no drive.

Of course the test should be reasonably comprehensive - and include the correct passing of bikes.


There would be a lot less cars on the road if they implemented this as a lot of people would fail.


Which implies that you think that a lot of people currently driving are not competent to do so.

User avatar
exadios
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:07 am
Location: Melville, WA
Contact:

Re: Driver caused cyclist's death: coroneri

Postby exadios » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:50 pm

lobstermash wrote:Even more people would drive illegally if they had to pass regular driving tests. The number of unlicenced drivers and unregistered and unroadworthy cars driving around is frightening already (estimated to be at least 10% in some states).

Some serious penalties for killing cyclists is long overdue, coupled with an advertising campaign to let the public know about them, would go a long way toward making drivers pay more attention to drivers.

With pathetic slaps on the wrist as seen in this article, drivers seem to be better off killing cyclists they hit (penalties on par with drink driving charges) than injuring them (same penalty, but increased CTP premiums).


Those people that you think will drive illegally are currently driving legally. If they are not competent to drive what's the difference.

lobstermash
Posts: 1426
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Driver caused cyclist's death: coroneri

Postby lobstermash » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:06 pm

The difference is that a person legally operating a vehicle is covered by CTP insurance. Which a hapless cyclist injured (but not killed) by a motorist can claim against to cover medical expenses.
Image

User avatar
find_bruce
Posts: 6091
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Driver caused cyclist's death: coroneri

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:20 pm

lobstermash wrote:The difference is that a person legally operating a vehicle is covered by CTP insurance. Which a hapless cyclist injured (but not killed) by a motorist can claim against to cover medical expenses.

Part of the cost of your CTP insurance in NSW goes to fund the "nominal defendant" for claims where the vehicle at fault cannot be identified or is unregistered. I believe the same approach is adopted in every state.
Image . . . . . Image

high_tea
Posts: 1486
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Driver caused cyclist's death: coroneri

Postby high_tea » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:57 pm

find_bruce wrote:
lobstermash wrote:The difference is that a person legally operating a vehicle is covered by CTP insurance. Which a hapless cyclist injured (but not killed) by a motorist can claim against to cover medical expenses.

Part of the cost of your CTP insurance in NSW goes to fund the "nominal defendant" for claims where the vehicle at fault cannot be identified or is unregistered. I believe the same approach is adopted in every state.

Certainly is in Queensland.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users