Where will the 1.5m passing distance be used?

VRE

Re: Where will the 1.5m passing distance be used?

Postby VRE » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:27 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:This one's a ripper:
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/docume ... eering.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol: Thanks, I needed the laugh, after my commute this morning.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:23 pm

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:00 pm

I want them to ban dark coloured cars and to stop buses from being able to pull over every 500m as they hold up traffic.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:12 pm

"4 - That cyclists, whenever a motorist approaching from their rear sounds the horn, be compelled to give right of way where practicable to that approaching vehicle"

Semi driver pulls up behind a cyclist on Ipswich Rd in heavy traffic and jumps on the triple air horns, cyclist jumps 6 ft sideways into the path over semi overtaking that semi and splat. Semi driver says in Police interview "I sounded my horn, can I go now?" Police ossifer opens door and kisse driver on the way past.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:46 pm

I like the No 4, let's take it to its Byrneish logical conclusion...
"4a - That pedestrians, whenever a cyclist approaching from their rear rings the bell, be compelled to give right of way where practicable to that approaching vehicle"
"4b - That cyclists, whenever a motorcyclist approaching from their rear sounds the horn, be compelled to give right of way where practicable to that approaching vehicle"
"4c - That motorcyclists, whenever a motorist approaching from their rear sounds the horn, be compelled to give right of way where practicable to that approaching vehicle"
"4d - That motorists, whenever a delivery van/tradie yoot approaching from their rear sounds the horn, be compelled to give right of way where practicable to that approaching vehicle"
"4e - That delivery vans/tradie yoots, whenever a bus approaching from their rear sounds the horn, be compelled to give right of way where practicable to that approaching vehicle"
"4f - That buses, whenever a semi trailer approaching from their rear sounds the horn, be compelled to give right of way where practicable to that approaching vehicle"
"4g - That everybody, whenever a Byrnes approaching from their rear sounds the horn, be compelled to give right of way where practicable to that approaching Byrnes"
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:30 pm

FYI Channel 7 has been reading submissions to the cycling inquiry. They wanted to interview me about my submission today, but I declined because I write better than I talk, and I don't trust reporters anyway. I'm sure they'll find somebody else to get a soundbite out of...

Need to keep an eye out for this story...

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:25 pm

Interesting to know.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:04 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
"4 - That cyclists, whenever a motorist approaching from their rear sounds the horn, be compelled to give right of way where practicable to that approaching vehicle"

Semi driver pulls up behind a cyclist on Ipswich Rd in heavy traffic and jumps on the triple air horns, cyclist jumps 6 ft sideways into the path over semi overtaking that semi and splat. Semi driver says in Police interview "I sounded my horn, can I go now?" Police ossifer opens door and kisse driver on the way past.
That's democracy for you. It is clear that this particular submission will end up filed under Sulo because it's got zero practicality at all. Would this person tolerate that kind of behaviour levelled at himself when a pedestrian? Laws carry subtext. I don't think we need any laws that elevate the rear road user to a position of authority over the forward user. The forward user tends to have less ability to use brakes to control the situation...

Of course, that kind of second tier thinking, aka abstract thought, IS beyond a significant chunk of the population.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:03 am

InTheWoods wrote:FYI Channel 7 has been reading submissions to the cycling inquiry. They wanted to interview me about my submission today, but I declined because I write better than I talk, and I don't trust reporters anyway. I'm sure they'll find somebody else to get a soundbite out of...

Need to keep an eye out for this story...
A colleague told me he saw an ad for the story for tomorrow (friday) night on Ch7 news. Titled "Should cyclists be registered" :roll:

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:11 pm

Here you go.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/queensla ... mp=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:20 pm

I meant to post this yesterday! If you can read this particular submission from beginning to end without the need for an Ibuprofen or two, you deserve a medal!
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/docume ... 3_Tait.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 2nd Womble

Sorry again :s
Last edited by The 2nd Womble on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The 2nd Womble

Sorry, duplicate post.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:39 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Here you go.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/queensla ... mp=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On the scale of how I thought that story would come down, it surprised me towards the upper end.
The 2nd Womble wrote:I meant to post this yesterday! If you can read this particular submission from beginning to end without the need for an Ibuprofen or two, you deserve a medal!
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/docume ... 3_Tait.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:shock: Ok I have to presume someone had a *lot* of time on their hands and that is a bit of a joke. Its amazing though, try actually reading it out loud, its like poetry. I didn't make it anything to do with cycling though... :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:45 pm

I got to the second line orf page 4 before my brain made a frantic escape attempt.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Nope. Didn't make it through the Prologue - after they alleged that the inquiry might not be taking place, I figured I'd enjoy my evening doing something else. ;)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:47 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:I meant to post this yesterday! If you can read this particular submission from beginning to end without the need for an Ibuprofen or two, you deserve a medal!
Haha. He titled himself at the end "public interest advocate extraordinaire" and gives himself a seal (and then has to explain his seal symbol). That guy is gold and I haven't even started reading the body of the letter. :lol:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Summernight wrote:...I haven't even started reading the body of the letter. :lol:
Do Not Do This!
It will rot your brain enough to set your career back by years...
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:32 pm

Dear lord !!!! :shock:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:45 pm

il padrone wrote:Dear lord !!!! :shock:
You shouldn't have called the boss, he had a read...
London Boy 29/12/2011

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:50 pm

Reading-between-the lines, I, understand, that he is in favour of MHLs, but only if they, are, lined with tin-foil

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:28 pm

find_bruce wrote:Reading-between-the lines, I, understand, that he is in favour of MHLs, but only if they, are, lined with tin-foil
Picking this character's literary hero could be a fun game. I reckon Thackeray. Or maybe Dostoyevsky(sp?).

A slightly more time-consuming fun game would be to pick a famous writer at random, and write a submission in their style. "Today, write a submission on prostitution licensing laws in the style of HP Lovecraft. Tomorrow, it's IT procurement and Hunter S. Thompson".

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:29 am

high_tea you have always been a visionary, but seeing reflections of "Vanity Fair" or "Crime & Punishment" in that submission shows just how far your vision extends

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:58 am

find_bruce wrote:high_tea you have always been a visionary, but seeing reflections of "Vanity Fair" or "Crime & Punishment" in that submission shows just how far your vision extends
Hallucinations perhaps?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:33 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
find_bruce wrote:high_tea you have always been a visionary, but seeing reflections of "Vanity Fair" or "Crime & Punishment" in that submission shows just how far your vision extends
Hallucinations perhaps?
Of course - he was posting in the style of Hunter S Thompson :mrgreen: