Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Ok so who has written a submission for the inquiry? Make sure you get yours in if you want to be heard. As I write, there are 17 submissions - none of which I've read yet, but I will once I've submitted my own.

I have not submitted mine yet as I'm still improving it, but I'm posting a link here so I can get your feedback and comments. I am happy to receive attempts to convince me I'm wrong on anything I've said, or improve on it. You might change my mind or you might not, but I won't take it personally :) In particular I'm not 100% sure on what I wrote about minimum passing distances on single lane roads.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3F1Khn ... sp=sharing
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

by BNA » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:43 pm

BNA
 

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:43 pm

Ut's blenk brew! Ut's blenk ez!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby jules21 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:44 pm

that's outstanding ITW. love your work. i've written one too, not as comprehensive as yours though.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8376
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: somewhere out in the melbourne rain

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:46 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Ut's blenk brew! Ut's blenk ez!


What? :?:
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:05 pm

Nothing coming up on my iPhone. I'll try the laptop shortly.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:50 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Nothing coming up on my iPhone. I'll try the laptop shortly.


Ok. Google translate failed me there :)
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:01 pm

rofl
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:17 am

InTheWoods wrote:Ok so who has written a submission for the inquiry? Make sure you get yours in if you want to be heard. As I write, there are 17 submissions - none of which I've read yet, but I will once I've submitted my own.

I have not submitted mine yet as I'm still improving it, but I'm posting a link here so I can get your feedback and comments. I am happy to receive attempts to convince me I'm wrong on anything I've said, or improve on it. You might change my mind or you might not, but I won't take it personally :) In particular I'm not 100% sure on what I wrote about minimum passing distances on single lane roads.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3F1Khn ... sp=sharing


Not bad - I just read through it on the iPhone. The graphics illustrate the points well - especially in regards to door zones and close shave passing.
Image
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby sumgy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:20 am

Your submission needs to be far more blunt about Bike Lanes.
Specifically there is no such thing as on road bicycle infrastructure in QLD.
The use of pictures of bicycles and signage stating Bicycle Lane is misleading to say the least.
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:08 pm

sumgy wrote:Your submission needs to be far more blunt about Bike Lanes.
Specifically there is no such thing as on road bicycle infrastructure in QLD.
The use of pictures of bicycles and signage stating Bicycle Lane is misleading to say the least.


They're cyclicide lanes. The pictures are actually the chalk outlines of deceased bicycles.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider
 
Posts: 915
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:44 pm
Location: Bruce, ACT

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:42 pm

sumgy wrote:Your submission needs to be far more blunt about Bike Lanes.
Specifically there is no such thing as on road bicycle infrastructure in QLD.
The use of pictures of bicycles and signage stating Bicycle Lane is misleading to say the least.


Well there is such a thing, its just that a lot of the time its used for parking :) I do have most of a page about the parking allowed in bike lanes thing, and pointed out qld modified the australian road rule 187, whereas every other state and territory (except vic?!) kept the ARR which puts restrictions on stopping in a bicycle lane. More recent versions of my submission have this to say about the sample photo of a bike lane down the coast (which I grabbed from a forum member's video, hope they don't mind):

The picture above shows a stunningly pointless bicycle lane on the Gold Coast, completely full of parked cars, with video here: http://youtu.be/tIjoJWLTMK4 . The council will claim that this is dedicated bicycle infrastructure, and no doubt this car park will be paid for by the “bicycle infrastructure” part of the budget. What they have actually achieved is waste some green paint on a car parking area – and increased the danger for cyclists using this section of road.


Ironhangglider - Haha re chalk outlines of deceased bicycles, I like that :)
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby Summernight » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:52 pm

Being a little bit of a nitpicker here (sorry :oops: ), last page second bullet point (the one about 'yellow') you've written 'bought' when it should be 'brought'.

Other than that I really like the proposed submission. Well done. :)
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1392
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby CatCanRide » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:14 pm

Just spent a bit of time reading through the submissions that have been made.
InTheWoods - well done. Your submission is the most thourough, well thought out, illustrated and even handed of all the submissions. Thank you for putting the hard yards in - really impressed with what you have done.
User avatar
CatCanRide
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:29 pm

There's been some really excellent submissions to the Inquiry - the number really exploded over the last week or two.

Channel 7 has been reading them. They wanted to interview me about my submission today, but I declined because I write better than I talk, and I don't trust reporters anyway. I'm sure they'll find somebody else to get a soundbite out of...
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby sumgy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:51 pm

According to Lord Mayor, Graham Quirk we just need wider roads.
God knows how this guy manages to walk and talk at the same time. :roll:
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:00 pm

sumgy wrote:According to Lord Mayor, Graham Quirk we just need wider roads.
God knows how this guy manages to walk and talk at the same time. :roll:

You didn't spot the tiny earpiece? I have it on good authority that it plays a constant mp3 loop consisting of nothing more than "breathe in-breathe out" :|
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25270
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:32 am

The draft transcripts of the Brisbane and Sunshine Coast hearings are up.

Brisbane (one thing attributed to me wasn't said by me, I've asked for a correction):
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/docume ... 3Proof.pdf

Sunshine Coast:
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/docume ... 3Proof.pdf

The schedules for Townsville and Cairns hearings are up.
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:59 am

It seems that 1m is all that they can focus on now. Not happy.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby VRE » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:16 pm

sumgy wrote:According to Lord Mayor, Graham Quirk we just need wider roads.
God knows how this guy manages to walk and talk at the same time. :roll:

Compulsory acquisitions of everyone's front nature strip, thus relieving them of the onerous duty of mowing it regularly? :lol:
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby jules21 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:26 pm

sumgy wrote:According to Lord Mayor, Graham Quirk we just need wider roads.
God knows how this guy manages to walk and talk at the same time. :roll:

Yarra Council in Melbourne have adopted a very clever tactic of narrowing road lanes. the theory is that wider lanes encourage motorists to think "there's almost enough space to overtake there!" narrow lanes remove that temptation - a cyclist can only take the lane.

this guy Quirk is probably not at the pointy end of thinking on cycling issues..
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8376
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: somewhere out in the melbourne rain

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:41 pm

VRE wrote:Compulsory acquisitions of everyone's front nature strip, thus relieving them of the onerous duty of mowing it regularly? :lol:

But where will they park their third or fourth smokebox?

jules21 wrote:this guy Quirk is probably not at the pointy end of thinking...


FTFY :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25270
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby VRE » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
VRE wrote:Compulsory acquisitions of everyone's front nature strip, thus relieving them of the onerous duty of mowing it regularly? :lol:

But where will they park their third or fourth smokebox?

Those in my neighbourhood just use the street for their extra cages. In stark contrast to the place I'm renting, which has a perpetually empty driveway :lol: .
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:05 pm

VRE wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
VRE wrote:Compulsory acquisitions of everyone's front nature strip, thus relieving them of the onerous duty of mowing it regularly? :lol:

But where will they park their third or fourth smokebox?

Those in my neighbourhood just use the street for their extra cages. In stark contrast to the place I'm renting, which has a perpetually empty driveway :lol: .

Get with the game man, that empty driveway is valuable real estate. Think of the shinies you could score with the rent... :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25270
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby briztoon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:45 pm

jules21 wrote:
sumgy wrote:According to Lord Mayor, Graham Quirk we just need wider roads.
God knows how this guy manages to walk and talk at the same time. :roll:

Yarra Council in Melbourne have adopted a very clever tactic of narrowing road lanes. the theory is that wider lanes encourage motorists to think "there's almost enough space to overtake there!" narrow lanes remove that temptation - a cyclist can only take the lane.

this guy Quirk is probably not at the pointy end of thinking on cycling issues..


Pretty much how it is in France. We couldn't believe how narrow street lanes were in the towns and cities. Lane width outside the cites were pretty similar to Australia, until you got in the Alpes, where they were pretty narrow again.
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: Submissions to Qld Inquiry into Cycling Issues

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:09 pm

briztoon wrote:
jules21 wrote:
sumgy wrote:According to Lord Mayor, Graham Quirk we just need wider roads.
God knows how this guy manages to walk and talk at the same time. :roll:

Yarra Council in Melbourne have adopted a very clever tactic of narrowing road lanes. the theory is that wider lanes encourage motorists to think "there's almost enough space to overtake there!" narrow lanes remove that temptation - a cyclist can only take the lane.

this guy Quirk is probably not at the pointy end of thinking on cycling issues..


Pretty much how it is in France. We couldn't believe how narrow street lanes were in the towns and cities. Lane width outside the cites were pretty similar to Australia, until you got in the Alpes, where they were pretty narrow again.

Ahhh! I see where this is going and it's sheer genius. Force motorists and segwayists onto our footpaths and make the roads exclusively for cyclists and buskers!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Next

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist