T.PT Minister calls for Inquiry, then says its irrelevant

The 2nd Womble

T.PT Minister calls for Inquiry, then says its irrelevant

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Incredibly disappointed today, but now even more determined!
http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/queensla ... mp=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

il padrone

Re: T.PT Minister calls for Inquiry, then says its irrelevan

Postby il padrone » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:25 pm

Crikey :shock: ! Pretty obvious from that footage that Qld bus drivers need some serious re-education. I don't get anything like this from Ventura bus drivers here in Melbourne, but all their buses have outside cameras so any report will yield footage.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:00 pm

I'm still fuming over the situation we found ourselves in where the one campaign that resulted in the Minister calling for the inquiry, was forced to compete with a less effective and wholly (in my view) contrived and haphazard counter campaign. If not for the intrusion into Qld by the AGF, the message that Queensland's cycling community delivered to Scott Emerson would have been much more powerful and may have even resulted in action being taken by this government without the need for any public consultation at all.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:31 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:If not for the intrusion into Qld by the AGF, the message that Queensland's cycling community delivered to Scott Emerson would have been much more powerful and may have even resulted in action being taken by this government without the need for any public consultation at all.
i think you're in la la land with that one womble. any politician is going to use public consultation to let motorists and the motoring lobby kill off better cycling laws.

the reason Emerson has come out now is likely that the inquiry has elicited significant support for changing those laws, i.e. has not worked the way he would have hoped. he's trying to head it off before it gains too much momentum.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:31 pm

It is only a bloody minded psychotic who thinks it is even the slightest bit sensible to have people exposed to potential fatalities. I can't help but wonder if those who say "hurrah" when they see the close shaves should be told to keep their kids off the roads, because your car just loves teaching the little ones a lesson about how they shouldn't be on the road.

Injecting some brainpower and humanity into the debate pretty much sums up the solution. Making that happen when our politics is a race to the bottom is the tricky part.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Somebody needs to knock that smug Emerson idiot off his bike with their car. Not that I wish him *any* ill or injury, but I am seriously at a loss to know any other way to bring home to him what it feels like when it happens to you and what is so awfully wrong with our road rules and driving culture, with its Toad of Toad Hall sense of entitlement. :sigh:

On the upside, nice to see some BNA members videos getting wider viewing :D
Last edited by trailgumby on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:56 pm

trailgumby wrote:On the upside, nice to see some BNA members videos getting wider viewing :D
these speak so much higher volume than toady politicians or braindead motorists waffling on about rego. this is why video cameras are a great idea.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:42 pm

Wonder how much dust was removed from Emersons bike before the shoot?

To come out bald faced and say that that regardless of the findings the status quo will remain is contemptible. From the way he's obviously buckled on this shows that man has less stones than Phar Lap.

Pity he can't be nailed for wasting taxpayer money...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:05 am

The minister looks like a very occasional recreational cyclist.

Very disappointing - but QLD should have known it would get this result for voting in that hopeless government.

A very bad result for cycling.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Absolutely not unexpected to me.
The QLD Government has done absolutely nothing that would suggest that they have any interest in any form of alternative transport options.
They begrudgingly provide tiny nods to cycling so long as it is within the Brisbane CBD.
They have actually reduced bus routes in the past 12 months.
It is not possible to add train services so this option is not going to take up the slack.
They have not moved with the rest of Australia (and the world) in embracing and providing cycling infrastructure and have not even provided cycling specific lanes on any roads.
At the same time they have approved multiple MV infrastructure "improvements" that will be congested again within months.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:11 pm

OTOH, we are allowed to ride on footpaths, which I perceive as a very good thing.
I'm not sure that there has been any significant changes to any law regarding cycling for a long time, so comments about any single party or government are probably a bit irrelevant.
You have officially become your parents.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Ken Ho wrote:OTOH, we are allowed to ride on footpaths, which I perceive as a very good thing.
I'm not sure that there has been any significant changes to any law regarding cycling for a long time, so comments about any single party or government are probably a bit irrelevant.
Agreed.
None of them have any interest in cycling IMO.
Too many votes to be gained from promises of reduced congestion via increased MV infrastructure.